Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you take in the current NBA : Shaq or Kareem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Wow a legit good question on ISH? What's happened to this board?

It's actually really hard to say because the players wouldn't develop the same in this era. Young Shaq might be Zion-like. He was so athletic, strong and had skills. He could dribble... pass... and - who knows - if he was in an era where people encouraged him to develop a shot, he might have been a passable shooter.

He became big, heavy Shaq because that's the way the league wanted him to be.

Kareem, I didn't watch in person but with his size, agility and skill set, why couldn't he be a much better version of Karl Towns?
    A concept 98% of basketball fans can't fathom.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Shaq was elite the moment he stepped on the court though. 1992 certainly wasn't his 'prime' but it should be considered in the context of how many seasons he was an elite player, which is 14.
    Kareem wasn’t elite the moment he stepped on the court? Who turned around their team more in their very first season? Kareem or Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    Kareem wasn’t elite the moment he stepped on the court? Who turned around their team more in their very first season? Kareem or Shaq?
    How are you interpreting what you quoted as me comparing Shaq and Kareem? I made no reference to Kareem whatsoever. The poster I replied to said that Shaq's prime was short, and I countered that Shaq was elite the moment he stepped on the floor and enjoyed 14 seasons of dominant play.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

How are you interpreting what you quoted as me comparing Shaq and Kareem? I made no reference to Kareem whatsoever. The poster I replied to said that Shaq's prime was short, and I countered that Shaq was elite the moment he stepped on the floor and enjoyed 14 seasons of dominant play.
    This is a Kareem Shaq thread. At least it says so in the title. My mistake, I got it completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    This is a Kareem Shaq thread. At least it says so in the title. My mistake, I got it completely wrong.
    Yes it is, and I've already spoken to Shaq AND Kareem earlier in the thread. In the post you quoted, I was specifically talking about Shaq. If I wanted to compare Shaq and Kareem directly I would have been very clear in doing so. But no worries on the misunderstanding...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduper View Post
    Df are you laughing at

Shaq and Kareem are post scorers which are awful for today's NBA.

Robinson is perfect for today's era as he's athletic af and a best on the pick and roll + Admiral is a better defender than both Shaq and Kareem

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

People talking bout "but they can't switch on the perimeter" urr... nobody really can anyway. The rules don't allow bigs to camp and protect the lanes. The rules don't allow them to be physical. The rules don't allow them to do many things defensively.

Which is why they'd dominate even more so today.

I'll take their pure offensive dominance in the paint over switching to a 3pt shooter any day.

They can have their .340% shot, I'll take the .560% one any day. I'll foul out your team by the half or Im averaging .650% and getting bucket after bucket after bucket.

Cause you can't shoot 3s if you're not not he floor due to foul troubles.

Either way, I'd still play my big in the middle and dare refs call anything. They'll eventually stop calling shit and let the game go, while my bigs stay camped and protect the paint. My wing defenders will close out forcing them into my big where they'll alter and block shots repeatedly.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Wow a legit good question on ISH? What's happened to this board?

It's actually really hard to say because the players wouldn't develop the same in this era. Young Shaq might be Zion-like. He was so athletic, strong and had skills. He could dribble... pass... and - who knows - if he was in an era where people encouraged him to develop a shot, he might have been a passable shooter.

He became big, heavy Shaq because that's the way the league wanted him to be.

Kareem, I didn't watch in person but with his size, agility and skill set, why couldn't he be a much better version of Karl Towns?
    This.

Shaq would effectively end small ball. Kareem would adapt to small ball. That is the difference

Shaq was elite the moment he stepped on the court though. 1992 certainly wasn't his 'prime' but it should be considered in the context of how many seasons he was an elite player, which is 14.
    Shaq having poor longevity is legitimately one of the biggest myths surrounding an ATG player. Shaq was elite from his rookie year through roughly '06, a 14 year span, a time frame that literally all but a handful of players were able to match or surpass

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Shaq having poor longevity is legitimately one of the biggest myths surrounding an ATG player. Shaq was elite from his rookie year through roughly '06, a 14 year span, a time frame that literally all but a handful of players were able to match or surpass

and it couldve been far longer.

Shaq with a kobe discipline couldve had a 20 year prime.

Hes a true freak of nature... a bulky wilt the likes of which has never been seen before or after.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

Hes a true freak of nature... a bulky wilt the likes of which has never been seen before or after.
    Prime is taking the best years from a career. No player has or never will have 20 “best” years

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner View Post
    Prime is taking the best years from a career. No player has or never will have 20 “best” years
    shaq couldve.

He put up 14 years of straight dominance without giving a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

Lol, I doubt anyone is gonna argue he wasn't a lazy bastard, or that he maximized his full potential. But even without dieting or working out all summer, he still managed to have really impressive longevity, especially considering how massive the guy was

Absolute Legends. Salute!

Insanity.

One of the greatest duos of all-time!

I pick Shaq.