Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kevin Garnett Wanted To Team Up w/ Kobe Before Going To The Celtics

Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Kevin Garnett Wanted To Team Up w/ Kobe Before Going To The Celtics

I remember that summer when the Lakers almost got Garnett the Lakers would of took over the league for a very long time. Btw still can’t believe Kobe is gone

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

jesus christ can you imagine?

that combo wouldve been deadlier than kobe & shaq.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

Absolutely not.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Absolutely not.
    kg and kobe wouldnt have any offensive discord.

They would be like basketball ying and yang, perfect chemistry for longer.

b2b with pau wouldve been childs play, and a 3peat a minimum.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Colluding losers.

Clown.

That combo would have been less deadly than just Shaq by himself

NBA Superstar

Are we talking 8 or 24?

24 Kobe and peak Shaq win 5 in a row. Shaq was smarter than people give him credit for and had no offensive weakness other than FTs obviously.

8 Kobe and Garnett butt heads too.

3-time NBA All-Star

Crazy thing is the KG deal would’ve been for Bynum and Odom. That means the Pau deal for Kwame and Marc could’ve and I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have still happened.

With that said, KG got old and got injured. So i don’t think we should assume that changes in 09. They probably win in 08 and 10 but they’re probably screwed in 09. That would mean no KG and no Odom + Bynum. I assume they’d beat Detroit in 08, lose to Denver in 09, and beat Cleveland in 10.

Easy to say this stuff after the fact but back then Garnett literally had to be talked into accepting a trade to another team. He was that loyal to 'sota that even after Glen Taylor accused him of tanking the last few games of the season he still didn't *want* out.

Too bad Glen Taylor is a ****ing moron and even worse as an owner then Sterling was (except he isn't a racist). There will never be a player that is as fiercely loyal to a team that continuously ****ed him over time after time yet he never really complained or caused any issues.

What's even sadder is that he loathes Glen Taylor so much that he refuses to have his number retired here *just* because Glen Taylor is the owner. He still owns a home here and loves the state and fans but downright hates Glen with all his soul. Back when Flip Saunders was still alive he traded for KG and was forming a plan for KG to get a minority stake in the Wolves and everyone was on board. When Flip died then Glen suddenly changed his mind and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I really don't think people realize how good Garnett was in his prime because he played in his market and because of how much Glen ****ed this team over...for crying out loud Glen lost 4 first round picks for the Joe Smith fiasco.

Remember his MVP 03-04 year? Everything was going except Sam Cassell injured himself doing his god damn big ball dance which screwed this team.

Hey remember when we traded Ray Allen for Marbury? Oops! Can you guys even imagine a prime Garnett and prime Allen? Good lord that duo would rank right up there and have won multiple championships. If Marbury never left? We possibly would have won a title before Marbury became crazy. Lose of 4 first round picks? Definitely couldn't have used those. Remember how the Wolves were thisssssssssssssssssssss close to trading for AI? Yep that fell through at the last minute.

I hate that I am a diehard Wolves fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post
    I remember that summer when the Lakers almost got Garnett the Lakers would of took over the league for a very long time. Btw still can’t believe Kobe is gone
    I actually created a Kobe/KG team in nba live 08 or w/e the game was called. It was a joy playing with that squad lol

Nah, not quite. KG was awesome but at the end of his prime and never as unstoppable/godlike as Shaq was in his Laker days.

Lakers would have won 3 with KG only because Celtics would not have been built if KG went to Lakers. Other limitation would have been KG/Odom fitting together as seamlessly as Pau/Odom. Yea, Odom was off the bench with Bynum starting but Lakers usually closed with Pau at 5 and Odom at 4. KG was probably bit undersized to play center against some of the Western teams in 2000s.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-B View Post
    Not really. Garnett was pretty much at the tail end of being a star player in 08. He really only had that one legitimate star season with the Celtics. He was still a very good player, but age caught up to him quickly in his early 30s. He wasn't close to the player the Lakers battled in 2004 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Crazy thing is the KG deal would’ve been for Bynum and Odom. That means the Pau deal for Kwame and Marc could’ve and I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t have still happened.

With that said, KG got old and got injured. So i don’t think we should assume that changes in 09. They probably win in 08 and 10 but they’re probably screwed in 09. That would mean no KG and no Odom + Bynum. I assume they’d beat Detroit in 08, lose to Denver in 09, and beat Cleveland in 10.
    Kobe always tore apart Denver. If you could somehow get Pau and lose KG for year, I think Kobe+Pau would still reach the finals.

Unfortunately, I don't see Lakers having assets to acquire both KG and Pau. Remember, Lakers traded picks to land Pau. KG trade in previous summer would have prevented the assets/picks Pau trade would require. However can you imagine Marc Gasol+KG+Kobe?? Hoooly crap lol