Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone have a DIY Home security system?

Slickdeals had wyze cameras on sale and I ended up blowing almost 300 bucks on door sensors and cameras. I already have a hardwired system for sensing motion and doors, just not one that allows me to monitor/receive notification when doors are shut/open or any cameras (my security company charges $20 per cam). Anyone have any experience positioning cameras outside or with this brand?

Default Re: Anyone have a DIY Home security system?

I heard SimpliSafe is good. And it's wireless.

I big wall with an electric fence, dogs, and guns

these hands B

I have 3 pitbulls for security. I'm a convicted felon so I can't legally own a gun.

I have one house loaded with Nest cameras, door sensors and thermostat and another house with only wyze cameras. For its economical price, wyze does a really good job. You will need to buy micro SD cards for each camera as they do not store footage to the cloud.

The app is easy to use. You can define zones of focus that the camera will look at and disregard everything outside of it. That way you won't get notifications from the cameras detecting tree branches swaying in the wind for example.

If you want to use the wyze cams outdoor I would recommend extra long micro USB cables, outdoor mounting cases to protect them from the rain and a drill to route the cables through the outside wall.

Mounting cases: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTBV1RN..._UvDwEbK773Q8V

Micro USB cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W21M4BS..._UxDwEbWWJB2M8

Yeah I’m going to order some outdoor cases. I just finished setting up the doors and windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    I have one house loaded with Nest cameras, door sensors and thermostat and another house with only wyze cameras. For its economical price, wyze does a really good job. You will need to buy micro SD cards for each camera as they do not store footage to the cloud.

The app is easy to use. You can define zones of focus that the camera will look at and disregard everything outside of it. That way you won't get notifications from the cameras detecting tree branches swaying in the wind for example.

If you want to use the wyze cams outdoor I would recommend extra long micro USB cables, outdoor mounting cases to protect them from the rain and a drill to route the cables through the outside wall.

Mounting cases: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTBV1RN..._UvDwEbK773Q8V

Micro USB cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W21M4BS..._UxDwEbWWJB2M8

Ordered them... i'm going to try and put them up tomorrow. I went with black cases because I'd rather the intruder see the cameras and avoid vs intrude and possibly get caught.

Did you get microSD cards too?

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    these hands B

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    Did you get microSD cards too?
    Yeah, 32gb class 10 cards so hopefully the videos not jittery.

Wyze are more for monitor than actual security. A thief just has to turn off your power. I use it on top of a home security system.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan View Post
    Wyze are more for monitor than actual security. A thief just has to turn off your power. I use it on top of a home security system.
    Oh for sure, my panel is on the ground floor and i'm trying to mount at least two of mine on the third floor so the cameras should pickup something. But like i mentioned in the OP, I'm not relying on them for security (which is on battery backup) - i'm still maintaining my security plan , just not for the cameras $20/each camera is ridiculous.

I like how strong the magnetic base is and the disc - I don't think I trust it enough for hurricane or gale force winds i'm suppose to be having tonight but pretty sweet for the interior.

This is the view from the third floor window, covers a lot of ground... especially when considering the camera will be up maybe another 5ft
    Last edited by rawimpact; 03-06-2020 at 04:08 PM.

I've got to say, i'm quite impressed with them. The only issue I have is the side camera facing the air conditioner. It's hitting the white lattice which makes it ineffective with infrared/white balancing. So far I've got eight of them setup, Two pointed forward, one on each of the other three sides and one camera on each of the three floor. I highly recommend them and the housing (as of now) - but time will tell how they last.

Been using a DIY home surveillance for over 15 years now. It's the best and only way to go.

Buy decent hardware. We changed DVR's over a course of 5 years about 3 times which amounted to over $1k for the device alone. The most recent one we had for over 3 years and its running just fine.

Also, don't use stock cameras that come with any DVR. Purchase the cameras separately. We paid around $700 for one camera alone and its been working for the 15 years. It's going out but I'll be replacing it soon. Good money invested the first time.