Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Anyone have a DIY Home security system?

The joke about a couple of pit bulls near the house is great, it has improved my mood immediately! If talking seriously, I think a wireless security system is really a better option. I haven't installed a DIY Home security system yet but I am thinking about performing it. I was told that it's one of the best option available on the security market.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

I've had a camera system security around my home for a while now, it is nice to be able to just glance at your cell phone and see everything going on around your house, who's at the door, if a package is sitting there, etc.

I had it professionally installed though...probably paid too much, oh well I'm happy with it.

I bought the cameras a few months too early. They just came out with v3 Cams which have starlight censors to deliver even better lighting in the pitch dark.

Oh well, at these prices they're disposable every two years...

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

We have a Nest security camera mounted over the front door, and a SmartQ smart garage door opener/monitor. I installed both myself, neither was at all difficult. They're more for convenience than anything. The camera lets me see who it is that's ringing the doorbell without having to open the door. The garage door monitor is helpful for those times when you get ten minutes down the road on a trip and you suddenly start wondering if you remembered to close the garage door. And if I did forget to close it I don't have to turn and drive all the way back. It's also set up to close the garage automatically every night at 9 PM.

Saw a basketball once

So, as I have told you earlier, I haven't installed a DIY Home security system yet, but I am thinking about doing it. I have been browsing many related sites during these two days. it's one of the best options available on the security market indeed. But yesterday, I met one guy occasionally. My best friend gave me another suggestion. He hired this electrical https://bates-electric.com/locations/chicago-il/ manufacturer recently and told me they are producing very reliable security systems for house use. Can you give me any useful piece of advice? Thank you in advance.

My house is set up with some cameras and an electronic alarm, but imo the real "security" comes from my dogs and firearms

I would take a good dog over 99% of electronic security systems
    Last edited by Nanners; 02-11-2021 at 08:43 AM.

My golden retriever is far from a security dog, not the least bit threatening. Whereas my parents German Shephard/Husky mix is the opposite. They've got an avocado grove in the hills of Temecula/Deluz area that she patrols.

A security dog does not necessarily have to be threatening, the main purpose of a security dog is acting as a biological alarm. a tiny yappy dog can be a decent security dog if they reliably go berzerk whenever someone is at your door

that said, most goldens are not exactly ideal for security

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Just the sound of a dog barking can be enough to scare off a potential intruder. Guy I used to work with claimed his home security system had motion detectors that, when tripped, would set off a recording of a couple of big dogs barking and growling.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    I have one house loaded with Nest cameras, door sensors and thermostat and another house with only wyze cameras. For its economical price, wyze does a really good job. You will need to buy micro SD cards for each camera as they do not store footage to the cloud.

The app is easy to use. You can define zones of focus that the camera will look at and disregard everything outside of it. That way you won't get notifications from the cameras detecting tree branches swaying in the wind for example.

If you want to use the wyze cams outdoor I would recommend extra long micro USB cables, outdoor mounting cases to protect them from the rain and a drill to route the cables through the outside wall.

Mounting cases: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTBV1RN..._UvDwEbK773Q8V

Micro USB cables: https://canadianslotsforfun.com/free...-registration/

Nearly all DIY systems can be self-monitored using a mobile app that allows you to arm and disarm the system remotely, monitor sensor status, and view live and recorded video. You'll get push alerts (and in some cases email notifications) when a sensor is triggered, but it's up to you to contact the local authorities if there's a break-in or a fire.
    However, many DIY vendors are now offering professional monitoring services; some require a contract and some allow you to pay as you go so you're only being monitored when you need it, such as when you're away on vacation. With professional monitoring you'll still receive alerts, but the monitoring center will try to contact you as well. If they can't reach you or someone on your emergency contact list, they will have the local authorities respond to the alarm.

Yes I do. And a gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP View Post
    Yes I do. And a gun too.
    Doubtful, you are way too unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    i'll shoot you! take it back!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

I don't live in the ghetto so no

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post