Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Default Anyone on this site a vegan?

Sometimes I look at meat on my plate and feel a little disgusted compared to the fresh healthy looking vegetables. Thinking of trying to go vegetarian or pescatarian and if it works out, eventually vegan.

If any of you have made the switch how much more a month do you think you pay in grocery bills? Also did you feel more anxiety? That's my biggest worry, I've heard going vegetarian or vegan can potentially cause more anxiety and depression

College superstar

Default Re: Anyone on this site a vegan?

Quote Originally Posted by RachlNicholsazz View Post
    Sometimes I look at meat on my plate and feel a little disgusted compared to the fresh healthy looking vegetables. Thinking of trying to go vegetarian or pescatarian and if it works out, eventually vegan.

If any of you have made the switch how much more a month do you think you pay in grocery bills? Also did you feel more anxiety? That's my biggest worry, I've heard going vegetarian or vegan can potentially cause more anxiety and depression
    Dude don’t overthink it. Just start with going one full day vegan. Then observe your body’s reaction. Then go another day and so on.

Eventually you’ll understand your cravings and needs.

As for money and mental stability just like with anything you’ll see positive improvements in certain areas and negative in others.

Nothing is perfect.

College superstar

I will say this, if you go health food vegan with 80% of your diet raw foods and not junk food vegan, you’ll lose of ton of weight like a mofo.

NBA Superstar

Vegan is too hard. Too many things I’m not willing to give up. I’ve had spurts where I’ve tried vegetarian but even then, I love chicken too much. And deli meat.

I have significantly cut back on red meat though. Maybe only eat once a month at most and feel great. Went to Austin a few months ago and got brisket because…obviously. I felt lethargic and had stomach issues for 2 days.

Like the above guy said, just try what you feel and see what happens. There’s no perfect solution.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

many people talk the talk , but wife is 100%.

I commend her until she would get brutally sick .. then I would feel sorry or her.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Vegan is too hard. Too many things I’m not willing to give up. I’ve had spurts where I’ve tried vegetarian but even then, I love chicken too much. And deli meat.

I have significantly cut back on red meat though. Maybe only eat once a month at most and feel great. Went to Austin a few months ago and got brisket because…obviously. I felt lethargic and had stomach issues for 2 days.

Like the above guy said, just try what you feel and see what happens. There’s no perfect solution.
    Everyone is different. I think vegetarian is better for you than vegan. But if you have some fish and chicken too…that’s never bad for you as well.

NBA sixth man of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

I would go low carb and intermittent fast, and do longer fasts periodically to activate autophagy.

Beef is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet, if not the most nutrient dense. Alternate between Beef/salmon(wild caught), chicken, and lamb.

Don't be gay and not eat meat. That's a slap in the face to your ancestors and your biology.

Decent playground baller

All studies show that vegans have a much longer life expectancy than meat eaters. Average is around 8 years longer. This is because meat is heavily linked to heart disease.

I am not vegan myself, like mentioned earlier in this thread, it is very difficult. But I try hard to limit red meat and I try harder to completely avoid fast food all together. Steak and cheeseburgers are great, but too much is a heart attack. They should not be eaten regularly. They should be seen as treats, or "every now and then".

If I were attempting to go vegan, I would not just go cold turkey. I would start by removing pork first for a month and see how that goes. If that goes well then remove beef. And if that goes well chicken and turkey, followed by fish and seafood. Sort of long term weening into it. It allows your body and mind to adjust better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post
    All studies show that vegans have a much longer life expectancy than meat eaters. Average is around 8 years longer. This is because meat is heavily linked to heart disease.

I am not vegan myself, like mentioned earlier in this thread, it is very difficult. But I try hard to limit red meat and I try harder to completely avoid fast food all together. Steak and cheeseburgers are great, but too much is a heart attack. They should not be eaten regularly. They should be seen as treats, or "every now and then".

If I were attempting to go vegan, I would not just go cold turkey. I would start by removing pork first for a month and see how that goes. If that goes well then remove beef. And if that goes well chicken and turkey, followed by fish and seafood. Sort of long term weening into it. It allows your body and mind to adjust better.
    What are your sources?

Also, studies that link diseases with meat don't differentiate between processed meats and unprocessed, high quality meat. Nor do they account for overall food consumption. In other words, people that eat a lot of meat also eat a ton of other unhealthy bullshit which leads to inflammation and disease. All the studies I've seen are completely bogus.

High quality, grass fed beef is not unhealthy. When the beef is grass fed the omega 3 ratio is much more optimal and less likely to cause inflammation. There isn't a study where people eat only high quality meat, though, but anecdotally there are tons of people who have cured autoimmune diseases by eating only beef all day, and their blood work is perfect.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Carnivore or Keto diet is >>> vegan bullshit especially their fake meat which is so artificial the human body did not ever evolve to consume it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    What are your sources?

Also, studies that link diseases with meat don't differentiate between processed meats and unprocessed, high quality meat. Nor do they account for overall food consumption. In other words, people that eat a lot of meat also eat a ton of other unhealthy bullshit which leads to inflammation and disease. All the studies I've seen are completely bogus.

High quality, grass fed beef is not unhealthy. When the beef is grass fed the omega 3 ratio is much more optimal and less likely to cause inflammation. There isn't a study where people eat only high quality meat, though, but anecdotally there are tons of people who have cured autoimmune diseases by eating only beef all day, and their blood work is perfect.
    This.

People never factor in quality of the meat in these studies. Eating slim Jim's and hotdogs and fast food burgers isn't equivalent to eating fresh chicken or beef home-cooked.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Well those stats are probably skewed because more of the people who eat meat….eat everything including tons of junk food and don’t care about their health at all. Most Vegans are going to be on average, more health conscious in other areas compared to the average meat eating person. Which makes the numbers somewhat meaningless.

And like I said before, everyone is different. A short woman that has a decent amount of body fat and needs less protein will be better suited for a vegan diet than a tall and athletic man.

Decent playground baller

If you are only eating healthy organic meats then kudos to you. Again, I eat meat and I try to do the same. I think you have to be honest with yourself about how clean your diet is though. Are you really free of processed meat? How often do you eat bacon? Full of nitrates and sodium. I don't know of any studies that single out "clean meat eaters" because I imagine that would be extremely difficult. My feeling is that most people who go out of their way to eat organic meats probably also mix in some unhealthy stuff along the way too.

I know there are health nuts out there who will only eat unprocessed chicken breast and clean low fat meats, and I am sure their life expectancy is just fine. But those are outliers. And they still don't eat red meat on the regular.

I bet just ridding yourself of beef and pork takes care of most the life expectancy gap.

Talking Re: Anyone on this site a vegan?

I bet just ridding yourself of beef and pork takes care of most the life expectancy gap.
    Tell that to the people of Hong Kong, who have the highest life expectancy on Earth, and eat more meat per capital than any country, including huge amounts of beef and pork.

The reality is that there are a ton of factors when in comes to longevity and health. Saying not eating beef or pork would take care of an imaginary life expectancy gap is a preposterous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    What are your sources?

Exactly what I was going to point out. Meat eaters tend to have very different dietary profiles across the board than vegetarians. Reducing any life expectancy discrepancy down to meat without controlling for it in the studies is not good science.

That said, every person has a slightly different optimal diet for their own body, just like everyone has different finger prints. This is how, in primal conditions, species diverge. Some primitive early mammal exists and some individuals prefer vegetation, they gradually evolve into hippos and gazelle and whatever, others prefer meat and evolve toward bears and cats and so on, eventually consuming exclusively their certain diet. Humans on the whole are omnivorous of course, but many individual persons will feel and be healthier leaning toward one direction or the other.

You really have to listen to your own body and observe what kind of diet makes you feel your best week in and week out. If you feel good not just when you eat it, but afterward as well, then it's almost certainly healthy for you regardless of what 'studies say.'