Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The nba and people in general are overrating to coronavirus.

College star

Default The nba and people in general are overrating to coronavirus.

As of right now its looking like its gonna be as bad as the common flu. I dont see anyone worrying about that. peolple are more likely to die by cancer or a car crash and i dont see anyone worrying about that. I dont know the fear just seems irrational to me. Yesterday my girl was on the phone talking to her friend about the scariness and seriousness of the coronavirus. All while smoking cigarette and talking on her cell which are both more likely to kill her. She then nuked her lunch in radioactive microwave and then drove to her moms in her car. Again both are things that are more likely to cause her death but she wasnt worried in the least bit.

So how do most of yall feel about all this shit?

Default Re: The nba and people in general are overrating to coronavirus.

I think the concern is warranted. We've had pandemics before and none of them caused entire developed nations to shut down and entire segments of industry to screech to a halt. That doesn't happen because OMG FACEBOOK AND MAINSTREAM MEDIA PANIC U GUYS DERP-DERP!!! There's clearly a lot more to this than the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    As of right now its looking like its gonna be as bad as the common flu. I dont see anyone worrying about that. peolple are more likely to die by cancer or a car crash and i dont see anyone worrying about that. I dont know the fear just seems irrational to me. Yesterday my girl was on the phone talking to her friend about the scariness and seriousness of the coronavirus. All while smoking cigarette and talking on her cell which are both more likely to kill her. She then nuked her lunch in radioactive microwave and then drove to her moms in her car. Again both are things that are more likely to cause her death but she wasnt worried in the least bit.

So how do most of yall feel about all this shit?
    Do you know how microwaves heat food?

Local High School Star

The coronavirus appears as contagious as the flu. It is estimated to have a mortality rate of 1-3%. Given this it clearly has the potential to kill millions—more than many wars. Treating it as seriously as a war seems warranted.

NBA sixth man of the year NBAGOAT's Avatar

Fyi according to one source flu has mortality rate of 0.1%. Absolutely something worth being paranoid about especially if you’re around anyone elderly

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    The coronavirus appears as contagious as the flu. It is estimated to have a mortality rate of 1-3%. Given this it clearly has the potential to kill millions—more than many wars. Treating it as seriously as a war seems warranted.
    It's supposed to be way more contagious than the common flu, it's why the world is freaking out...not that it has a very high mortality rate but that it has the potential to spread like wildfire.

I think a big issue is that flu has been around so long that many have built up some immunity to it. I can't remember the last time I got the flu and I never get a flu shot.

Since this virus is new our body hasn't built up defenses against it.

What makes you think you are qualified to analyze the data and make this assessment? Do you just always distrust authority or do you live your life by free thinking your way through everything?

College star

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly View Post
    Do you know how microwaves heat food?
    They use some type of radiation radio waves. I dont know the exact science and there is debate over how harful microwaves are. I was just giving examples of all the harmful things that people exapose themselves too. Maybe the microwave one was a bad example but you get the point.

You need to look at the ages of people with mortality rates.

College star

I do tend to be more on the free thinking side. Im obviously no expert but i just look at the facts. They coronavirus has a similar death rate as the influenza. If that changes than id probably be more concerned but if i dont worry about the flu why would i worry about something thats basically the same thing?

If the coronavirus death rate stays the same as it is then people will soon get over this fear and get back to buisness as usual and a year or 2 from now the coronavirus will be looked at similar to the few.

I do tend to be more on the free thinking side. Im obviously no expert but i just look at the facts. They coronavirus has a similar death rate as the influenza. If that changes than id probably be more concerned but if i dont worry about the flu why would i worry about something thats basically the same thing?

If the coronavirus death rate stays the same as it is then people will soon get over this fear and get back to buisness as usual and a year or 2 from now the coronavirus will be looked at similar to the few.
    Again, you are not qualified to just look at a bunch of numbers and understand what they're telling you. Just like you're not qualified to determine if microwaves are dangerous and to what extent. Common sense won't get you far in understanding modern science. So it just comes down to who you want to listen to. These days it seems everyone comes up with their own theory/analysis and then looks to see if they can find someone on twitter/TV who thinks the same and that's enough to decide that they're right.

This is the problem with distrust in authority, individualism and "free thinking". It can be healthy and work most of the time until you need people to mobilize. That's why the army is the antithesis of all those things. They'd get nothing done if they operated on those principles.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Im obviously no expert but i just look at the facts. They coronavirus has a similar death rate as the influenza.
    but it doesnt.

Blame the media. Fear mongering at its finest.
    We have 76 cases here, and a leading news outlets story was prepare for the wave of 1.5 million cases. Really? That is irresponsible reporting and inciting panic for no reason.
    It's the same as if you u catch the flu, stay home and away from public places. Why are people so fkn stupid