Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: A different perspective on covid

Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    Well, the point being... was it man made? Because otherwise your contention is that this just conveniently worked out as an excuse to isolate people for bad actors to prep for economic collapse, no?
    well much like the flu, new strains of corona are discovered every cold/flu season, so you wouldnt entirely have to rely on dumb luck to announce the discovery of a new strain of bat corona with such seemingly convenient timing.

if the virus is man made, im surprised its not a little stronger. its going to be hard to keep people in their houses after they spend a couple weeks with no income while feeling perfectly healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    No but did he or did he not call this a Democratic hoax? Is Italy fake news? This shit isn't your common, it's nowhere near as deadly as Ebola but it's apparently super contagious so it has the potential for a lot of people to get infected. Do you think China overreacted if this is just no worse than a common cold?

Also, Trump is a big boy, no need to get triggered when people criticize him.

Been around since jan and we have 1000 cases, most with no symptoms and about 10 people 85+ in nursing homes died. Note that they also had other illnesses..
    99% of tests here have come back negative and it's costing mega to run this. No symptoms why would you go to the hospital? Fu*king morons

So yeah, highly contagious? Really?

The powers that be laughing all the way to the bank as usual. While the idiots argue over left vs right they can't see the real issue is that everything is bought and paid for

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    Been around since jan and we have 1000 cases, most with no symptoms and about 10 people 85+ in nursing homes died. Note that they also had other illnesses..
    99% of tests here have come back negative and it's costing mega to run this. No symptoms why would you go to the hospital? Fu*king morons

So yeah, highly contagious? Really?

The powers that be laughing all the way to the bank as usual. While the idiots argue over left vs right they can't see the real issue is that everything is bought and paid for
    I don't know, man...I mean you're basically saying that all world leaders are in cahoots. The Chinese, Russians, Americans, UK, Italy Spain etc... How do you keep something that huge a secret?

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Thank you for your perspective.

We count # deaths caused by it, but we don't count # years taken off life from it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
    I don't know, man...I mean you're basically saying that all world leaders are in cahoots. The Chinese, Russians, Americans, UK, Italy Spain etc... How do you keep something that huge a secret?

Well your average person is a total moron, we've got people lined up every morning at the supermarkets ready to buy all the toilet paper still ask them why and they say cause everyone else is, some even come to blows over it.

If this an economic reform of course the governments are on board, get themselves some power back maybe.

There is no other way this shit would happen, oldies die from influenza and crap every year and no one bats an eye, now all of a sudden they're our prized possessions? Not likely.
    Anyone who speaks out against it gets crucified by the media, they are 24/7 fear mongering.. they already have all the excuses ready, "what about the medical system overload", "Don't you care about oldies and sick people", "irresponsible " etc..

The figures just don't support their claims..

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    there are a lot of benefits to the hysteria. if you know a serious economic collapse is coming, wouldnt it be nice to have a rule in place that would prevent gatherings of more than 10 people?
    Do we need to be concerned about our liberties? Yes. Do we need to find a balance between liberty, health, and economy? Yes. The problem is even if this was an apocalyptic virus wiping out all of humanity I suspect you'd be saying the same thing: that this is overblown. Just like those who are saying this is worse than it really is and the govt is lieing to us. Running to the same extreme each time something happens. Instead of just being distrustful for its own sake provide some solid reasoning for it beyond, "it benefits the powers that be". A lot of things could benefit them and there are more insidious ways to go about than a virus.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

last time I looked the world had about 30% die from this VIrus...

So that means if you catch it , you have a 70% chance of survival...

Problem is guys like me that have had a life time of asthma and 10 x having pneumonia , have a better chance to die..

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    last time I looked the world had about 30% die from this VIrus...

So that means if you catch it , you have a 70% chance of survival...

Problem is guys like me that have had a life time of asthma and 10 x having pneumonia , have a better chance to die..
    The global numbers are increasingly unreliable. If you're not tested and you die: it doesn't count as a virus death. If you have the virus but have mild symptoms (which are a lot of people) you don't even count as a case. Some places like Russia are fudging the numbers by attributing them to other things while not testing many people. True death rate is probably between 0.5 and 2% and from what I understand is heavily decided by how well and how long your lungs can withstand the infection and how well it "settles" in your lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    If truly "saving lives" is what we care about, hiding indoors is probably the opposite of what we should be doing. For people age 15-24, suicide is the second most common cause of death. Forcing young people with mental health issues and/or zero economic prospects to avoid human contact and hide indoors while society collapses around them will obviously result in an increase in suicide rates.
    This one is interesting. Will the suicide rate go up because of the factors you provided? Or perhaps it will go down because they see that everyone else is suffering as them, and it's given them comfort.

Well your average person is a total moron, we've got people lined up every morning at the supermarkets ready to buy all the toilet paper still ask them why and they say cause everyone else is, some even come to blows over it.
    On one spectrum are morons like those fighting over toilet paper and going bonkers in paranoia.

On the other side of the same spectrum are morons like you calling this a bad cold and trying to claim some great conspiracy is in the works with the world's governments all in on it. You are a fool just like those fools fighting over tissue rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Do we need to be concerned about our liberties? Yes. Do we need to find a balance between liberty, health, and economy? Yes. The problem is even if this was an apocalyptic virus wiping out all of humanity I suspect you'd be saying the same thing: that this is overblown. Just like those who are saying this is worse than it really is and the govt is lieing to us. Running to the same extreme each time something happens. Instead of just being distrustful for its own sake provide some solid reasoning for it beyond, "it benefits the powers that be". A lot of things could benefit them and there are more insidious ways to go about than a virus.
    Nanners has gone off the deep end.. He is turning into just another Trumpeters recently.. Now everything is a conspiracy to him by the powers that be. I used to respect Nanners. I even defended him a few times when people like NumberSix were bashing him, but this conspiracy talk about coronavirus is just over the top.

I am distrustful myself of our government, I voted for Bernie and I know the establishment turds need to go.. But I don't believe they created this coronavirus hoax or whatever nonsense conspiracy it is this week.. It's crazy talk without evidence or something concrete to back it up.. Without evidence, that conspiracy argument holds no water.

Building on what nanners said, since these universal lockdowns causexso much economic damage and reek of purposeful arrested development at a time of crisis.....one of two things would be more sensible at this point than what we are currently doing:

1. Massive testing with DOMESTICALLY PRODUCED 45min CEPHEID tests, and quarantine ONLY positive test cases with extreme prison sentences for violating your stay home order. Let everyone else live normal lives and let the economy thrive again much sooner.

2. Let it rip and let the elderly and respiratorily compromised croak.

I really don’t like the second option, but not because it’s insensitive, but because letting it rip, may leave 15-20% of the surviving productive public, with compromised lung function the rest of their lives.
    Last edited by BarberSchool; 03-22-2020 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    On one spectrum are morons like those fighting over toilet paper and going bonkers in paranoia.

On the other side of the same spectrum are morons like you calling this a bad cold and trying to claim some great conspiracy is in the works with the world's governments all in on it. You are a fool just like those fools fighting over tissue rolls.
    Is the middle the good little blind fools like yourself that just sit back and believe all the crap the media shovels down their throats?

You really believe this pathetic virus is worth bankrupting people, destroying the economy and young people's futures?? It's either one of two things, the virus is much worse than they're letting on, or tanking the economy is the goal..

Is the middle the good little blind fools like yourself that just sit back and believe all the crap the media shovels down their throats?

You really believe this pathetic virus is worth bankrupting people, destroying the economy and young people's futures?? It's either one of two things, the virus is much worse than they're letting on, or tanking the economy is the goal..
    I don't know if you're genuinely ignorant or just trying to go against the grain. If you let the virus roam free you'll get the italian situation, which just kills the economy just as much as precautious measures. Italy has a deathrate of roughly 10%. You didn't even touch my post. The had to install a triage system in their hospitals and it still kills about 4% of people under 50 years old.

If the virus infects 10% of the population with a month and becomes "italian" in the US that would kill 4 Million people in that timespan. You think 4 million dead people aren't going to hit the economy?

I think it's interesting that conspiracy nutjobs always think they're smart, while they absorb the bullshit others spew - sourceless at that - on social media, just because they're contrarian takes. You're not smart. Use the data interpret it. That's the scientific way.

Good college starter

This "different perspective on covid" strikes me as a the kind of thing that someone who hasn't yet been burned by disaster would say. It's the same cavalier attitude behind those who don't care about climate change. Using the same line of reasoning one could even argue why anyone should care about war since WWI didn't kill as many as the 1918 flu epidemic. It's the thinking of a spoiled brat. What needs to be remembered is just because you haven't yet seen it that bad doesn't mean it couldn't be much worse. I am skeptical of the mass media, but the dangers posed by something of the nature of covid-19 have precedence and do not need media sensationalism to be taken very seriously. If you aren't going to be concerned by something with pandemic potential what would you be concerned by?