Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: What stocks would be good to invest in now?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Walmart stock is f*cking me over. I bought it at $120 thinking it was a safe bet during a pandemic. It keeps falling, down to 110 now. Glad I only have 2 stocks of it but now I am stuck with it until it rises in the future.. Can't put that money towards a better stock like some airlines stock that is superlow currently and I don't have any more money to throw at it..

I wish I had bought 2 more Boeing rather than this Walmart trash
    If you want quick easy gratification this isn't the kind of market for you. You can buy Walmart during any kind of market. The opportunities available now aren't always available. But the current market is a roller coaster. Catching a falling knife can wipe out 50% of your investment and when the pain is too much and you bail you are likely to see that stock reverse and become a ten bagger.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Walmart stock is f*cking me over. I bought it at $120 thinking it was a safe bet during a pandemic. It keeps falling, down to 110 now. Glad I only have 2 stocks of it but now I am stuck with it until it rises in the future.. Can't put that money towards a better stock like some airlines stock that is superlow currently and I don't have any more money to throw at it..

Stop investing in stocks if this is your reaction.

Go with Index funds and ETFs.

Carvana
    Dave and Buster's
    Spirit Airlines
    Apple
    Grand Canyon U

Five I went with recently

When this all ends, Carvana will dip quick. They have already been operating in the red

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

You can't see the forest for the trees. Two shares was never going to lead you to financial independence but the real value for you is to create a habit of saving.

Quote Originally Posted by nightlight View Post
    You can't see the forest for the trees. Two shares was never going to lead you to financial independence but the real value for you is to create a habit of saving.
    I know two stocks is nothing. It will regain itself in a year, but I just feel like I would have been better putting that money into Boeing or another stock that is likely to be a safer bet. I should have realized that Walmart was trading at near its all time peak so it was risky from the get-go. It is better to buy an essential stock when it is low than to buy a stock that is already the highest it has been. It's okay, I learned from my mistake. I am still new at investing. I am still in the positive across my portfolio and going to hold onto Walmart stock for a year or so..

Btw - where do dividends money go? Do I get a check in mail for the tiny sums or does the money go directly under the TD Ameritrade cash balance? I would prefer the latter. For some, I will activate DRIP to reinvest it right in.
    Last edited by bladefd; 03-25-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Btw - where do dividends money go? Do I get a check in mail for the tiny sums or does the money go directly under the TD Ameritrade cash balance? I would prefer the latter. For some, I will activate DRIP to reinvest it right in.
    When I place a trade with Schwab, I'm given the option to automatically reinvest dividends. I assume it just sits in cash if I don't select it.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Imagine not shorting stocks 3 weeks ago

Imagine buying into stocks now only for it to drop another 25% in the next few months

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Imagine not shorting stocks 3 weeks ago

Imagine buying into stocks now only for it to drop another 25% in the next few months
    Doesn’t matter, as long as it rises back is fine

Average return

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller View Post
    Doesn’t matter, as long as it rises back is fine

Average return
    Lots of newbs are gonna buy and panic sell once we gap down again

But I agree if you're in for the long term, at least 5+ years then buying now isn't such a bad idea

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Lots of newbs are gonna buy and panic sell once we gap down again

But I agree if you're in for the long term, at least 5+ years then buying now isn't such a bad idea
    It's not going to take 5 years to recover from this thing.

2 tops

This isnt like the 2008 recession where there was a clear underlying financial flaw. Once this virus is gone I think we get right back to hiring and spending.

Of course, very possible some other event could get on the way... the 2020 election should affect things, but I think even with that it's a quick recovery here.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post

2 tops

This isnt like the 2008 recession where there was a clear underlying financial flaw. Once this virus is gone I think we get right back to hiring and spending.

Of course, very possible some other event could get on the way... the 2020 election should affect things, but I think even with that it's a quick recovery here.
    I'm not saying it's gonna take 5 years, i think it will be less also. I'm just saying you shouldn't be buying stocks with a short term return in mind. If you're buying stocks you should be thinking of what this will do in the next 5, 10, or 20+ years

If you wanna be short term buy options, that's where the big boys play anyways

We just had the biggest spike of unemployment in US history. That doesn't fix itself overnight even if we do miraculously stop the virus (which we won't)

Trump is busy downplaying the virus and is desperate for the market to recover. That will only cause the virus to spread more which will lead to an even worse economic downturn

Carvana? If we're talking used cars I'd feel more comfortable seeing it in person and checking it out in person. Didn't think this would be the next big thing but it's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz View Post
    Carvana? If we're talking used cars I'd feel more comfortable seeing it in person and checking it out in person. Didn't think this would be the next big thing but it's not a bad idea.
    Carvana has been operating in the red for the past few quarters...they'll see a spike right now without dealerships being closed in most states, but once all this ends, I'm certain they'll dip

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post

2 tops

I'm more optimistic than most too, but many aren't.

What do you think about my original idea of airBnB? Dropping a large sum right before the quarantine lift with a hit it and quit it?