NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default Our 10th president John Tyler born in 1790 still has 2 grandchildren living today

I realize some of you have probably stumbled across this fact over the years but I don't know how I've missed this story my whole life.

Imagine being alive today and saying, oh yeah my grandad was born in 1790 and was America's 10th president. Most of our grandparents were born after WW2.

I'm sure there are people out there with older grandparents than John Tyler, but the fact they're grandparent was a US President 180 years ago makes it even more amazing. If you were born in 1990, your grandchildren would still need to be alive in 2220 to equal this.

byKara Kovalchik•February 11, 2020

John Tyler, the 10th President of the United States, was a man of many superlatives: He was the first vice president to ascend to the top job after the death of the president (in this case, William Henry Harrison in 1841).

He was the first president to get married while in office. He had the most children of any president (15!). And he was the only president buried with a non-U.S. (read: Confederate) flag covering his coffin.

And, as of this writing, we can also add that Tyler — who died 158 years ago — is the only president born in the 18th century whose grandchildren are still alive

Some clarification is necessary. Tyler had eight children with his first wife, Letitia, who died of a stroke while he was in office. Two years later, the 54-year-old Tyler married 24-year-old Julia Gardiner, with whom he fathered seven more children, the youngest of whom was born in 1860, when Tyler was 70

Lyon Gardiner Tyler, JuliaÂ’s fourth son, took a page out of his fatherÂ’s Book of Matrimony and married a second time at the age of 68, to Susan Ruffin, who was 35 years his junior.

Two of Lyon and Sue’s children, Lyon Jr. (born in 1924) and Harrison (born in 1928) are still with us in 2020 — 230 years after President Tyler was born.

Default Re: Our 10th president John Tyler born in 1790 still has 2 grandchildren living today

Most of our grandparents were born after WW2.
    My gramps fought in WW2. He was on one of the destroyer in the Pacific near Iwo Jima that shelled the islands before Allied invasion. Still alive, full onset dementia though

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Re: Our 10th president John Tyler born in 1790 still has 2 grandchildren living today

if I had 15 kids , I'd say the odds would be good , one or two grand children would live a long life too

That's crazy.. Both Tyler and his son married a woman more than 30 years younger and had children with them, which doesn't happen nowadays.. There are some hoes who marry for money (like Hugh Hefner's 20 year old hoe he married few years before he died), but they usually don't have children with the old man. Hoes like that marry an old rich guy, bang someone their age on the side and divorce after a year or so for the money (they do anything for money including bang and blow the old man but have children?? No no)

Still, very interesting info!

54-year-old Tyler married 24-year-old Julia Gardiner, with whom he fathered seven more children, the youngest of whom was born in 1860, when Tyler was 70

Lyon Gardiner Tyler, Julia’s fourth son, took a page out of his father’s Book of Matrimony and married a second time at the age of 68, to Susan Ruffin, who was 35 years his junior.

Two of Lyon and Sue’s children, Lyon Jr. (born in 1924) and Harrison (born in 1928) are still with us in 2020 — 230 years after President Tyler was born.
    Their father was born before the start of the Civil War.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    if I had 15 kids , I'd say the odds would be good , one or two grand children would live a long life too
    He likely had a lot more kids than that. Some of his descendants might even be playing in the NBA.