Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: What’s more important to the NBA, money or lives?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Why do you assume the NBA resuming and the whole world going back to work are two equivalent things? If games were to theoretically resume with no fans, including players, coaches, refs, medical staff, you're looking at around 500 people needed for the NBA to resume operations, a number that roughly gets cut in half if they start with just the playoffs. How can you compare that to restaurants, hotels, airlines, schools, among countless other industries that employ literally millions of people? If the NBA were able to resume operations before other industries opened, why shouldn't they be allowed to continue the season?
    One small business could test its employees and about 20 of their customers/clients and get back to work. But the government isn’t allowing that so why should it let the NBA?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Government needs a reason to strip its citizens of freedom not a reason not to. Any reason for liquor stores to be considered essential business other than people being annoyed if you didn’t? Why can you still buy flowers? Maybe a garden supply store needs to be open in case someone grows food.... but flowers? In stores with hundreds of employees and thousands of visitors?

As I said....the nba is way down the list of potential public dangers.

Besides this is a state issue not federal. 10th amendment situation. And not all states are locked down. They wouldn’t be doing the travel. They would be in some single place.

The nba playing games would pose less of a public health risk than the garden department at a single Walmart. You should see Greens liquor store here. More people in there in an hour than would have to be in an entire arena to play an nba game.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    What exactly do the two things have to do with each other?

Go to a Lowe’s or Home Depot right now. 20 times the people needed for an nba game are in there and half of them are a couple feet apart at the front. Almost none of them tested. Most buying bullshit.

Explain to me the harm of a fraction of that number....all tested....playing a game to entertain tens of millions looking for a distraction.

Please tell me the tangible harm. Give me an issue other than your feelings which are obviously countered by millions on the other side.
    Exactly. The fact corporate ass Lowe’s gets to be open while all these other small businesses have to be closed is what’s wack. The picking and choosing of who can stay open and what kind of business can go on is bullshit. Some small businesses could use the same precautions the NBA is trying to use, but the state isn’t going to let it happen, so why should it let the NBA? Either we are all in this quarantine together or we are not.

I think we agree but the difference is I just wanna see everything open back up completely fans in the stadium and all. Not half way crap with no fans and the world around us still shitty.

It isn’t a zombie apocalypse. It “blowing up” is a name scrolling across sports center and then nothing happening worth reporting. Your “It’s not worth someone dying” argument is a baseless fear. As long as people are in stores by the millions every day, still in liquor stores, factories, construction and any number of things getting tens of millions of people out and about every day that isn’t really needed the “threat” of tested people playing basketball on tv is negligible relative to every day society. This will never reach a point nobody has it. It isn’t something you get to zero or near zero like small pox. Till the day you die someone will potentially have it. People still have polio.

There is some risk of this and much worse diseases starting up every day. Being afraid of the few people who we know do get tests because of potential false negatives is just fear mongering.

An nba game under the conditions one would be played right now would be about the highest ratio of known tested healthy people in any building in America right now. You would be a hell of a lot better off at an nba game without fans than you would be touching the door handle of an auto zone. And I’m sitting across the street from one that is open right now.

There’s a lot of shit to shut down as far as risk factor to public health before you get to an nba game without fans.

And that’s not even counting the many other ways people kill themselves and others in the name of personal freedom. But we aren’t allowed to talk about smoking or drunk driving right now. Only people killed by the specific disease in question merit the endless “But how is it worth the riiiiiisk?” crybaby bullshit about saving society from deadly things nobody really needs.
    You make a good point. I think PR is a big part of it. Basketball is showbiz. Consider the Dark Knight Rises theater shooting in Colorado. After that the studio cancelled several screenings and networks stopped showing ads for the movie. It doesn't make sense does it? Optics is everything. They certainly could go to a remote location and create an NBA base camp where in all the players and essential staff live and play. But it is highly likely with how contagious this thing as well as the hidden incubation period where tests will come out with false negatives that covid enters the area. At that point there's a good chance some people start getting seriously ill and possibly die. That's a bad look. This is the type of stuff that can really put a dent in the brand that would lead to huge financial losses.

Second point, although I feel the financial losses probably offset this thinking to some extent, is that teams and players themselves are worried of getting the virus. They wouldn't want to play when they know that this thing spreads like wildfire if just 1 person has it and can have long term effects on heart and lung function. Some players aren't even allowed to ski or ride a motorbike because its too risky. These are valuable assets.
    Last edited by FKAri; 04-04-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt View Post
    Exactly. The fact corporate ass Lowe’s gets to be open while all these other small businesses have to be closed is what’s wack. The picking and choosing of who can stay open and what kind of business can go on is bullshit. Some small businesses could use the same precautions the NBA is trying to use, but the state isn’t going to let it happen, so why should it let the NBA? Either we are all in this quarantine together or we are not.

I think we agree but the difference is I just wanna see everything open back up completely fans in the stadium and all. Not half way crap with no fans and the world around us still shitty.

You are hung up on what they “let” happen. The nba is a few dozen billionaires(teams have part owners) and a few hundred millionaires....all in league with international broadcasters. If the government specifically told the nba they couldn’t play they could fly them all to Toronto and play there. Or Anywhere really.

If the players want to play(key issue) they can make it work. The nba isn’t Crazy Joe Shoe shiners. They are multinational tycoons.

They are not governed by local decisions the way a single brick and mortar facility is. ESPN and TNT would broadcast games from panama if they had to. You can’t compare the nba to a business some mayor could shut down.

It won’t come to such extreme measures I’m just saying....we aren’t talking about what’s “allowed” really.

They just need a gym on this planet. Not anyone’s permission really.

The nuggets owner owns more of America by square footage than the smallest state. And his wife is the daughter of the founder of Walmart. And he’s not the richest owner. Or second richest. Try to get your mind around the resources available to these people and decide if anyone really has to “let” them play a game and get it on tv.

College star

You are hung up on what they “let” happen. The nba is a few dozen billionaires(teams have part owners) and a few hundred millionaires....all in league with international broadcasters. If the government specifically told the nba they couldn’t play they could fly them all to Toronto and play there. Or Anywhere really.

If the players want to play(key issue) they can make it work. The nba isn’t Crazy Joe Shoe shiners. They are multinational tycoons.

They are not governed by local decisions the way a single brick and mortar facility is. ESPN and TNT would broadcast games from panama if they had to. You can’t compare the nba to a business some mayor could shut down.

It won’t come to such extreme measures I’m just saying....we aren’t talking about what’s “allowed” really.

The nuggets owner owns more of America by square footage than the smallest state. And his wife is the daughter of the founder of Walmart. And he’s not the richest owner. Or second richest. Try to get your mind around the resources available to these people and decide if anyone really has to “let” them play a game and get it on tv.

And my original comment in this thread was that IMO it is not a “good look” for the NBA to try and come back before average people go back to work. It reeks of billionaires forcing things thru with special privilege and resources the public just doesn’t have. That was my whole point. Lol. But hey that’s just my opinion.

The average people you are concerned about....for the most part...are bored. You’re arguing on behalf of people who want sports back. The people who don’t mostly didn’t care to begin with. None of which factors in the many many millions of people working and going on as usual.

My neighbor is having a small cookout as we speak. Not a big gathering but his usual little crew. I assume it would be different if my state(South Carolina) joined yours in a panic and tried to make everyone stay home...but it wouldn’t do much for me.

My job has a nice little essential worker form for me. I’m working no matter what. And most of my friends too.

College star

The average people you are concerned about....for the most part...are bored. You’re arguing on behalf of people who want sports back. The people who don’t mostly didn’t care to begin with. None of which factors in the many many millions of people working and going on as usual.

My neighbor is having a small cookout as we speak. Not a big gathering but his usual little crew. I assume it would be different if my state(South Carolina) joined yours in a panic and tried to make everyone stay home...but it wouldn’t do much for me.

My job has a nice little essential worker form for me. I’m working no matter what. And most of my friends too.
    My business is shut down, and the fear mongering going on out here about how contagious this shit is would prevent me from even going to my folks house and enjoying a game with my dad. I always watch basketball with my dad, but until things come back to normal that’s not happening. I guess we live in 2 different America’s right now.

Local High School Star

The NBA is not above the law. Canada has already closed it's borders. What you're suggesting isn't even possibile. What's next? Fly them into the China Sea and have them play on a cruise ship? C'Mon man. NBA reeks of desperation. Just cancel the season and take the L. CBA already tried resuming the season and the Chinese government cracked the whip on them after public backlash.

I’m not “suggesting” anything. I’m saying it isn’t gonna be anyone’s decision but theirs. I don’t know what it’s gonna be...but I know they have the resources to make it happen if they choose to.

And just so you know...the CBA is largely run by the Chinese government.

And just so you know...the CBA is largely run by the Chinese government.
    Lol.

Well, you're in South Carolina. Far from any trouble. I have roots in the tri-state area. It's pretty chaotic in NYC from what I'm hearing. The NBA fans from there aren't even thinking about the NBA. They're more upset that they're taking hoops down from parks. And your essential worker form won't mean shit if the govt feels like it. What's deemed essential seems to change every 24h.

It's why I've said in my non-expert opinion they should be handling this thing differently in diff areas depending on severity. Especially urban vs rural.

I don’t think I’d be out of work no matter what. Not that I want to be. I’d be paid the same either way. The only thing this will hurt is my bonus. I don’t have anyone in New York anymore. The friends I knew there moved near Philly so I have no direct reports on what’s happening up there so I won’t speak on it. It’s obviously worse than here though.

We really are mostly chilling. Seems the only things fully closed are the mall and Chinese restaurants. I swear I can’t find a single hood style Chinese spot open. Only the corporate ones like PF Chang’s and Panda Express. I want some good grease not changed often hood Chinese food.

Thats about all I’ve been missing. Well the gym too. That annoyed me but I get it. If anywhere would spread it....that would be it. I’m not against common sense measures like that. Be safe. Be reasonable. I’ve not visited my mom since she’s old and has a weaker immune system from previous chemo(she’s long recovered if you care). The nba wouldn’t be a threat to much if they chose to play. I don’t think they will in the end since I think the madness will last a month or two too long. But they wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of the dangerous non essential list.

Im wondering why common sense shit like propping open doors so nobody has to touch handles isn’t being done more. We really worried about the ac costs right now? Not even that hot yet.

Entertainment is doing a pretty important job right now though.

Seriously. End streaming for 3 days right now. See how many people come back outside. Netflix is using more data than ever. Tv is helping a lot really. I’m wondering what that Jordan special ratings will be.

Local High School Star

Maybe the NBA can play on those quarantined cruise ships. That'd be entertaining. Losing teams can literally go fishing.