my rec league clips

Default Re: Who's played vs NBA/College players... share your experience

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post
    https://youtu.be/vt6DoQrNtEs

my rec league clips
    Amazing stuff!

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

Reading through all the comments some of you must be really good based on who you've played against or what level you reached

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923 View Post
    I've played vs players that got 10 day contracts, international players and D1 players.

They humble you in a second.

Some of these players weren't even trying yet they embarrassed everyone.

A few things that stick out:

Strength. These players don't look strong, but they were all strong. One thing that stood out was their grip, they all had great grip and it was hard to knock the ball out of their hand.

Quickness. Every move they made was quick even if it didn't appear to be. Even if you knew what they'd do, even if it looked slow they still did what they wanted to do without trying. It was scary how quick they all were.

Shooting. All of them could shoot extremely well. Put any D1 player in your local park/gym and regardless of position, age they will not miss. I played an old geezer that played D1 ball when he was young and he never missed.

Skill. While it may not look like it, even the last scrub coming off the bench can do every move you can, more efficiently and simply better. While I didn't play against him, I saw Bo Outlaw dominate at Venice Beach. Doing shit only point guards can do, crossovers, fadeaways, step backs, you name it he was doing it all with ease. He was known as a stiff rebounder in the league but was breaking people's ankles in the park.

I've played tons and tons of ball in my prime, at one point I thought I could play D1 ball. But was immediately humbled whenever I played against top comp.

Any stories or experiences?
    I have more of a Mamba mentality and always tried to beat NBA players when I played them in 1-on-1

I was never humbled by anyone and never could be

When I played Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton, I was busting Richard's ass to the point that Luke had to berate his buddy about it

I dunked on Zach Randolph 4 times in a row and destroyed him (okay he was still in HS at the time but an all-american)

I double-pump dunked on another McDonald's all American Evan Burns

Me and Raja Bell almost fought in one of my first practices at FIU because I was a newcomer that was playing well and I'd started talking shit - Raj felt insecure and tried to start something because it was his team

Another time I was dominating Carlos Arroyo and he couldn't get by me (he did make 3 consecutive threes to mitigate this fact and "blow the game open", but I was still dominating his team)

I outplayed Jay Edwards in a pickup game

Anthony Parker once embarrassed me by ripping me and going in for the dunk... But I got him back by locking him down the rest of the game - this was significant because NO ONE could stop AP back then - he was like Jordan in pick up

I got to play with Rony Seikaly and John Salmons... This was 1999, and Salmons was a little ahead of the game in the handles department.. he had already mastered some of the new school moves and I my ankles got broke so many times.. the most I've ever had my ankles broke

Played on Udonis Haslem's team in a pickup game and hit a catch-and-shoot game-winner off his pindown screen (also posterized Kentucky standout Gimel Martinez in that game)

Hardest I ever been dunked on was by Tony Farmer (former Warrior)

Bonzi Wells and Courtney James were on my AAU team (and not the best player on the team)

Many more...

Ran into James Harden at the inglewood DMV once waiting in a long ass line.. he was talking with his homie about going back to his Escalade and getting another swig of the Hennessy
    Last edited by 3ball; 04-08-2020 at 11:13 AM.

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    I have more of a Mamba mentality and always tried to beat NBA players when I played them in 1-on-1

When I played Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton, I was busting Richard's ass to the point that Luke had to berate his buddy about it

I dunked on Zach Randolph 4 times in a row and destroyed him (okay he was still in HS at the time but an all-american)

Me and Raja Bell almost fought in one of my first practices at FIU because I was a newcomer that was playing well and I'd started talking shit - Raj felt insecure and tried to start something because it was his team

Another time I was dominating Carlos Arroyo and he couldn't get by me (he did make 3 consecutive threes to mitigate this fact and "blow the game open", but I was still dominating his team)

Anthony Parker once embarrassed me by ripping me and going in for the dunk... But I got him back by locking him down the rest of the game - this was significant because NO ONE could stop AP back then - he was like Jordan in pick up

I got to play with Rony Seikaly and John Salmons... This was 1999, and Salmons was a little ahead of the game in the handles department.. he had already mastered some of the new school moves and I my ankles got broke so many times.. the most I've ever had my ankles broke

Played on Udonis Haslem's team in a pickup game and hit a catch-and-shoot game-winner off his pindown screen (also posterized Kentucky standout Gimel Martinez in that game)

Bonzi Wells and Courtney James were on my AAU team (and not the best player on the team)

Many more...

Ran into James Harden at the inglewood DMV once waiting in a long ass line.. he was talking with his homie about going back to his Escalade and getting another swig of the Hennessy
    Are you okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    Are you okay?
    I'm good. Responding to the thread

Weird question to ask me... You jealous?

I have a standing offer for anyone to come out to Vegas and play me. See for yourself.. if you're a recreational baller with little experience playing real dudes, I'll seem like Kobe to you - you won't be able to tell the difference

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME View Post
    Played on same AAU team as JR Smith. Beat him in one on one. Much more talented but couldnt guard the post and was a little soft at the time. Was on Pops Mensu Bonso's team at a camp.

Played against:

Carmelo Anthony - was unguardable to me in AAU. Just took big, strong and skilled. He could get to his spots and good counters.
    Luol Deng - robotic but hard worker
    Charlie Villanueva - very cool guy. His team was blowing my team out and he wanted me to get some shine from scounts...so he let me have a wide open 3 and then let me blow by for a dunk lol
    Randy Foye - guy busted my whole teams ass.
    Derrick Caracter - talented 8th grader but didn't get much better.
    Sounds like you played AAU ball in Jersey. JR Smith, Villanueva, Foye.

My AAU team won nationals at 14U and placed 3rd and 4th at 15U and 16U

No Bonzi or Courtney James at 18U so we didn't make it

I remember starting at PG and guarding Quincy Lewis at 17U.. I wasn't a PG but was assigned to Quincy because he WAS his team's PG and I was a good match defensively

Many more...

if you're so good then why are you always wrong? why is your basketball IQ so low?

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    if you're so good then why are you always wrong? why is your basketball IQ so low?
    I should add that one reason I was never humbled by an NBA player is because dunking on each other is standard for pros

Sure you see players jumping up on the bench when there's a poster, but that's for TV with 20k fans in the stands.. But we used to posterize each other routinely, and no one would say anything mostly - just run back down the court..

The only exception was when Raj drop-stepped Lucas Barnes.. good god.. practice did briefly stop that time

Local High School Star hiphopanonymous's Avatar

I should add that one reason I was never humbled by an NBA player is because dunking on each other is standard for pros

Sure you see players jumping up on the bench when there's a poster, but that's for TV with 20k fans in the stands.. But we used to posterize each other routinely, and no one would say anything mostly - just run back down the court..

The only exception was when Raj drop-stepped Lucas Barnes.. good god.. practice did briefly stop that time
    You should share more footage of you playing - you posted some gifs before got any more like game tape?

you guys acting like D1 players are some magicians crack me up

I played in the ABA not long ago and we have multiple D1 guys, and one of them had just finished playing for UCF in fact.

"they never miss" yah..uh no

do they shoot good? Sure, but it's not like these guys hit every single open shot they have whether in scrims or not. In fact they miss a large amount of them.

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

Lou Williams when he was at South Gwinett (HS). Got a chance to watch Dwight, Josh Smith, and Javris Crittenton on the Atlanta Celtics a lot, though. Shit was unfair.

That wall of text by 3ball

I dunked on Zach Randolph 4 times in a row lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopanonymous View Post
    https://youtu.be/vt6DoQrNtEs

my rec league clips
    Impressive. I really do mean this as a compliment but you'd be up there with the toughest competition MJ ever faced in the Finals.

Meanwhile LeBron was going up against one of the greatest scorers ever (KD), the best and second best shooters ever (Curry, Klay), one of the most versatile defenders ever (Green) who were all in their prime plus another elite defender in Iggy (slightly past his offensive prime but in his defensive prime) along with deep benches.