Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 'essential' workers here?

Default Any 'essential' workers here?

Curious to learn about what everyone does here but focusing on those that fit the category of essential.

The economy is at an all time low. I'm considered an essential worker because I'm a case manager for a shelter. My wife works at a hospital in NYC. We're both still working and while some days for the both of us might be remote work it feels good knowing my paycheck is still secured.

That's the only thing keeping me at this job still. Financial security through these times.

While I'm still making larger purchases and spending because I have income coming in, I could only imagine the people that aren't in that situation.

My father is a diesel mechanic for a concrete company and while he makes good money ($140k+) he is seeing reduced hours and days. He's even considering unemployment. He has a house to still pay off and I could feel that fear everyone else is seeing with payments needing to be made on a monthly basis. His tenants are also now unemployed and will be collecting unemployment soon but seeing how they'd be able to pay for rent is the tricky part.

All of my IT friends are home being paid. One in particular is secured because it's a huge company (Outbrain), for the rest I'm unsure whether they'd close down indefinitely.

Anyone else here an essential worker?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Any 'essential' workers here?

most corporate workers are essential. just wfh.

walmarts, targets, fast foods chains, delivery services UPS, Fedex, Amazon, etc. still running great.

its really all the small business and service industries that are getting hammered.

my wife an hospice RN

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Some businesses are adapting and learning that they can still operate from home. Some essential government services are functioning with most staff working from home as well. I think this will be an opportunity for businesses to reevaluate how to operate and find ways on how working from home is not only possible but in some cases beneficial.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

I work in a waste water plant, so as long as people poop i'll have a job.

Software developer here. Coronavirus is going to set back the remote work movement by 10 years. Top companies were finally starting to get so lenient with WFH benefits, my previous employer let engineers WFH two days out of the week. There were talks of bumping it up to 4 days a week, with just 1 day in the office for meetings.

There was an implicit understanding that as long as workers would remain as productive at home as at work, the leash would keep getting loosened. Turnover was low, output was high, high degree of trust between management and engineers. Gradually, the entire industry would have seen the benefits of WFH and shifted.

My new employer (1000+ headcount) has now been forced to "trial" remote work for the first time. All they see is production and commits literally grinding to a halt. Our two week sprints have been extended to two months. Millions in salaries paid out past couple of months, not a single feature.

Some employees are just depressed or dealing with issues in their family. Other employees are going nuts with the sudden freedom and treating it like a vacation. I can't reach any of my co-workers between 9-5 because they're at the beach or taking their dog on 2 hour walks or in the middle of a LoL match. I send a Slack message in the morning, don't get response until 5pm or next day.

Github commit graph basically went from block of deep green to one dot a week. Fresh juniors out of college even get upset that we're "forcing" them to do work because the sky is falling down. It's like everyone's forgotten they're still being paid a salary at home.

Sadly, companies are going to feel burned by this forced experiment. WFH should be gradually integrated into a company's culture, built on bricks of mutual benefit and goodwill. Instead, our product hasn't pushed a new feature since January and layoffs are coming.

Good college starter Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Essential on multiple fronts. As long as people are eating, I'll be working. Unless I die, or get so sick my competitors swoop in like vultures and take a lot of my clients

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

yea

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    most corporate workers are essential. just wfh.

walmarts, targets, fast foods chains, delivery services UPS, Fedex, Amazon, etc. still running great.

its really all the small business and service industries that are getting hammered.
    That's a negative on the fast food. I work at one and they're down to management and 1 regular worker at a time. 95% of the workers are on forced leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone View Post
    Software developer here. Coronavirus is going to set back the remote work movement by 10 years. Top companies were finally starting to get so lenient with WFH benefits, my previous employer let engineers WFH two days out of the week. There were talks of bumping it up to 4 days a week, with just 1 day in the office for meetings.

There was an implicit understanding that as long as workers would remain as productive at home as at work, the leash would keep getting loosened. Turnover was low, output was high, high degree of trust between management and engineers. Gradually, the entire industry would have seen the benefits of WFH and shifted.

My new employer (1000+ headcount) has now been forced to "trial" remote work for the first time. All they see is production and commits literally grinding to a halt. Our two week sprints have been extended to two months. Millions in salaries paid out past couple of months, not a single feature.

Some employees are just depressed or dealing with issues in their family. Other employees are going nuts with the sudden freedom and treating it like a vacation. I can't reach any of my co-workers between 9-5 because they're at the beach or taking their dog on 2 hour walks or in the middle of a LoL match. I send a Slack message in the morning, don't get response until 5pm or next day.

Github commit graph basically went from block of deep green to one dot a week. Fresh juniors out of college even get upset that we're "forcing" them to do work because the sky is falling down. It's like everyone's forgotten they're still being paid a salary at home.

Sadly, companies are going to feel burned by this forced experiment. WFH should be gradually integrated into a company's culture, built on bricks of mutual benefit and goodwill. Instead, our product hasn't pushed a new feature since January and layoffs are coming.
    i see it as the opposite. it will force us the to become good at wfh and have all the tools for it. my company would never allow people to pulls stunts like that.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    That's a negative on the fast food. I work at one and they're down to management and 1 regular worker at a time. 95% of the workers are on forced leave.
    that sucks, all the chains around my way have lines wrapped around the drive thru still.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    that sucks, all the chains around my way have lines wrapped around the drive thru still.
    There it is, my store doesn't have a drive thru. The last week and a half I worked, the dining room was closed and customers had to order at the door or through the online app; delivery still going though.

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    There it is, my store doesn't have a drive thru. The last week and a half I worked, the dining room was closed and customers had to order at the door or through the online app; delivery still going though.
    yea man... i went to wendy's. out of homestyle chicken sandwhiches. McDonalds, out of the premium chicken strips. They've gotta be selling, ive never even seen that. small business is getting wrecked, corporate america is gonna have a 99% market share by the time this is all over. there is a bagel joint i go to every morning on the weekdays.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

The catering company in work for got in with some government money providing meals some are busy until someone test positive

Been providing IT support to the State Dept. of Health for a couple years now. It's been crazy lately, I work remote most of the time, but go into the office on a rotating schedule to assist with COVID-19 project related shit.