Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Default Re: The oldest person to ever live did everything doctors tell us not to

Doctors were lying to us all along

They tell you to eat 3 meals a day but that's the worst thing you could do to your body as you're not giving your body a chance to heal and property digest your food

Default Re: The oldest person to ever live did everything doctors tell us not to

you ever take a statistics course man. One instance doesnt mean shit and even if there's a dataset that shows a trend, doesnt meant there's a direct link.

Good college starter

Cocoa is very healthy and nutritious. You actually might have to be careful about eating too much because you might ingest too much copper and iron.

Listen to doctors' dietary advice over the years and an objective assessment would be they are full of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    Doctors were lying to us all along

They tell you to eat 3 meals a day but that's the worst thing you could do to your body as you're not giving your body a chance to heal and property digest your food
    I used 18th century leech therapy to cure my syphilis, and 19th century electroshock therapy to cure my mental retardation...no doubt history will prove that the doctors of today are just as knowledgeable as those of the past.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    I used 18th century leech therapy to cure my syphilis, and 19th century electroshock therapy to cure my mental retardation...no doubt history will prove that the doctors of today are just as knowledgeable as those of the past.
    Even as we marvel at our own magnificence and think we've got it just about all figured out, this is so true. All you need to do is go talk to a general practitioner a couple of times and watch as they absolutely guess as to what's wrong with you in any given instance.

It's actually breathtaking how little we truly know about nutrition and overall well being. I think there are multiple factors at play here. Lobbyists and big food spreading misinformation is one thing. Another is the fact that I'm pretty sure human beings do not all respond to all of the same things the same way. In other words, genetics play a large role. And even crazier, you can have the exact same birth parents and be born a year later and you can wind up with noticeably different physical characteristics... as well as mental ones. Though environment can have a strong impact on both... which naturally varies even from child to child.

It is my hope, that in an... optimistic world view of how reality will play out, that artificial intelligence will exponentially hasten our understanding of such things and arrive to a spot in which people can get personalized treatments, diagnoses, and overall life strategies based on the cards they were dealt... with the hope that they are able to achieve optimized health and happiness.

College superstar

If the red meat she ate was raw she would have lived to be 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    no doubt history will prove that the doctors of today are just as knowledgeable as those of the past.
    History hasn't shown that to be true of the past so why would it for today? Our knowledge of human biology continues to improve but we still barely know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    History hasn't shown that to be true of the past so why would it for today? Our knowledge of human biology continues to improve but we still barely know anything about it.
    What? You're agreeing with him. He's saying that doctors don't know much.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    you ever take a statistics course man. One instance doesnt mean shit and even if there's a dataset that shows a trend, doesnt meant there's a direct link.
    You'd still think out of 10s of billions of people throughout recorded history, that the oldest person that ever lived would have a combo of near perfect genetics, near perfect luck and near perfect environment and diet. Instead this lady who basically did a lot of what doctors tell us not to do manages to not only outlive those people with fantastic genetics, who lived in a perfect environment and ate a near perfect diet but outlived the next oldest person by over freakin 3 years. It's amazing to me.

What idiot doctors still say those things? What is this, 1985? None of those habits are bad. You can even get away with smoking as long as you dont abuse it (a handful of cigs a day, not 1-2 packs).

That said, I dont get the skip breakfast thing. A hearty breakfast is one of life's pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    What idiot doctors still say those things? What is this, 1985? None of those habits are bad. You can even get away with smoking as long as you dont abuse it (a handful of cigs a day, not 1-2 packs).

That said, I dont get the skip breakfast thing. A hearty breakfast is one of life's pleasures.
    I'm not an authority on this sort of thing but... intermittent fasting/time restricted eating gives your body time to recover. It also probably has something to do with whatever state your body is in come breakfast time... I kinda doubt waking up and immediately(within an hour or two of consciousness) starting to eat is a good thing for you.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

my step father lived to be 91 (woke up had a pipe in his mouth until he went to bed... it's all in the genes)

It's definitely all genetics. Make the best out of your life now.

It's definitely NOT all genetics. Jasper... Draz... stop being clowns and stop spreading misinformation. Nobody listen to these two, please.

Yes, genetics can help you circumvent statistical averages, but there hasn't been anyone ever that has lived to 100 eating exclusively burgers, fries, cokes for literally every meal while not exercising.

It has been proven that exercise lowers your chances of diabetes, multiple cancers, multiple heart diseases... etc. And that's just exercise. That's without even getting into what people actually put inside their stomachs.

If you pay attention at all you can look at regional diets and see the differences in illness trends. Look at the diets.

My personal theory is that blood flow and your circulatory system play an understated role in longevity. I don't think it's a coincidence that this lady is the oldest ever and that she was short, exercised, drank wine and ate chocolate. But that's just my theory. It's definitely not a proven fact.
    Last edited by John Connor; 04-09-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Genetics are crazy man