Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Wallace said Pistons would never won an NBA title with Carmelo

Default Ben Wallace said Pistons would never won an NBA title with Carmelo

I agree with him. He also said Darko Milicic was a better fit, but he never developed under Coach Brown

Default Re: Ben Wallace said Pistons would never won an NBA title with Carmelo

There's a lot of moving parts. Melo didn't really become good until his 3rd year. With him on the team, Tayshaun would also not become good. Who knows if they'd trade for Sheed. Then there's a question of fitting a no defense guy in a very defense oriented team.

First of all, we have to assume Sheed joined them. If not, they clearly don't win. Second of all, Darko did nothing for them, so removing him does not effect the result in the playoffs. Melo would come off the bench scoring if he was committed to playing defense. Remember, this is Larry Brown, he does not play rookies. Especially rookies that don't play defense. So I don't see how they don't win a championship with Melo. He won't mess the culture up considering this was a veteran team. I even think Melo's career would be a little different being brought up in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41 View Post
    First of all, we have to assume Sheed joined them. If not, they clearly don't win. Second of all, Darko did nothing for them, so removing him does not effect the result in the playoffs. Melo would come off the bench scoring if he was committed to playing defense. Remember, this is Larry Brown, he does not play rookies. Especially rookies that don't play defense. So I don't see how they don't win a championship with Melo. He won't mess the culture up considering this was a veteran team. I even think Melo's career would be a little different being brought up in that environment.
    I can't agree with the veteran team comment. They started a 2nd yr Okur, 2nd yr Tayshaun, 25yr old Rip Hamilton, a new coach. Rip & Chauncey was only on their 2nd yr in Detroit. And then we add a headcase like Sheed at all star break.

They might've played like a veteran team at the end of the season, but in reality they were anything but that. It's really amazing how that team managed to come together like that.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    I can't agree with the veteran team comment. They started a 2nd yr Okur, 2nd yr Tayshaun, 25yr old Rip Hamilton, a new coach. Rip & Chauncey was only on their 2nd yr in Detroit. And then we add a headcase like Sheed at all star break.

They might've played like a veteran team at the end of the season, but in reality they were anything but that. It's really amazing how that team managed to come together like that.
    Imo. veterans are players with experience and leadership. The core getting minutes were young, but the locker room was old and had leaders. Melo would have a hard time being Melo with these veterans.
    Lindsey Hunter 33, Corliss Williamson 30, Chucky Atkins 29, Elden Campbell 35, Darvin Ham 30, Hubert Davis 33, Bon Sura 30

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41 View Post
    Imo. veterans are players with experience and leadership. The core getting minutes were young, but the locker room was old and had leaders. Melo would have a hard time being Melo with these veterans.
    Lindsey Hunter 33, Corliss Williamson 30, Chucky Atkins 29, Elden Campbell 35, Darvin Ham 30, Hubert Davis 33, Bon Sura 30
    Veterans are that. Veteran teams are not that. By that definition this season's Atlanta Hawks can be considered a veteran team.

There's a lot of moving parts. Melo didn't really become good until his 3rd year. With him on the team, Tayshaun would also not become good. Who knows if they'd trade for Sheed. Then there's a question of fitting a no defense guy in a very defense oriented team.
    Melo was almost ROY

Ben Wallace, one of the few defensive superstars in history

Stating the obvious there.

Veterans are that. Veteran teams are not that. By that definition this season's Atlanta Hawks can be considered a veteran team.
    I agree. Veteran team was the wrong word. I would say veteran culture then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Stating the obvious there.
    Squashes that idiotic shots at Darko a week ago. Melo obviously the better player ... but who is he playing for in that lineup? He would be too much of a black hole with how well rounded, and talented the roster was

G - Billups
    G - Hamilton
    F - Prince
    F - Sheed
    C - Big Ben

It's weird to me it's Melo that always gets brought up in this discussion, especially considering he would legitimately be the worst fit for that kind of team. Meanwhile, the Pistons draft Wade that's a potential 3peat

Melo couldnt even win the Olympic Silver medal against Manu Ginobili, what the hell makes anyone think he would have made a difference on the Pistons?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH View Post
    Squashes that idiotic shots at Darko a week ago. Melo obviously the better player ... but who is he playing for in that lineup? He would be too much of a black hole with how well rounded, and talented the roster was

G - Billups
    G - Hamilton
    F - Prince
    F - Sheed
    C - Big Ben
    yup... tayshaun prince was the guy they stuck on all the star guards. Melo in his place ****s their defense up big time.