Thread: OLED television

Very good NBA starter

Default OLED television

About to buy a new tv. already did a ton of google and youtube but want to hear from real life experiences.

Who here has experience with OLED? I like the picture quality but my concern is the burn in. My main channels are usually just sports and boring news shit. So should I expect some scoreboard or news ticker to be burned in at the bottom? Usually, how soon does that usually happen?

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Default Re: OLED television

i am saving myself from buying a TV, i feel most TV technology is just a fad. if my predictions are correct then sometime in the next 2 years plasma and tube TVs will become popular again

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    i am saving myself from buying a TV, i feel most TV technology is just a fad. if my predictions are correct then sometime in the next 2 years plasma and tube TVs will become popular again
    my current tv is from 2012. so i don't get a new tv every year. and i dont care about the newest fads neither, but OLED just looks a lot better and passes the basic eye test. lol

TV technology seems to move so fast I just can't keep up with what's what anymore

All I know is the last time I went into BestBuy there was 60-70inch 4KTV's for like $300-400 and it blew my mind. The 55" I have right now is 1080p HD whatever from 2015 and it cost $1200

Think imma cop a fresh one this X-mas along with the new PS5

Buy a smart tv if you want something that is versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    What?
    Where, when, why?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I was checking out some TVs a few months ago and the OLED’s were the nicest by far. They were clearly on another level of picture quality. The QLED’s were nice but the OLED’s were in a different ballpark. They had an amazing sale on a Sony 55” OLED, I want to say it was 1700 or 1500. I almost pulled the trigger but I felt like my Samsung was still good and didn’t need to be replaced. I’ll probably end up getting the OLED soon.

Very good NBA starter

yeah, $1500 seems a lot now when there are other tv's going for $300-ish. But I paid more than that for my ancient tv. so i guess the pricing doesn't seem as outrageous in my mind. i'm more shocked that other tv's are so damn cheap now and they don't look bad at all. It's just that OLED is whoah.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You won't see a non-smart TV nowadays in stores unless you go out of your way to find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL View Post
    About to buy a new tv. already did a ton of google and youtube but want to hear from real life experiences.

Who here has experience with OLED? I like the picture quality but my concern is the burn in. My main channels are usually just sports and boring news shit. So should I expect some scoreboard or news ticker to be burned in at the bottom? Usually, how soon does that usually happen?
    I wouldn't buy an OLED if that's what you're going to be watching. OLED's specialty is in producing deep blacks and contrast.

Save the money and just get a bigger LED TV. TCL 6 series, Hisense H9F, Sony X850G are good budget options. If you want to spend more money get X950G
    Last edited by FKAri; 04-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

I'd say get a regular 4k TV and wait for the Micro LEDs to come out in 2 years which will have better picture quality than OLEDs and they are much less prone to getting burn in.

Also they're cheaper to make so they are going to be more affordable when they come out.

OLEDs are not worth the hype in my opinion

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    You won't see a non-smart TV nowadays in stores unless you go out of your way to find one.

I wouldn't buy an OLED if that's what you're going to be watching. OLED's specialty is in producing deep blacks and contrast.

Save the money and just get a bigger LED TV. TCL 6 series, Hisense H9F, Sony X850G are good budget options. If you want to spend more money get X950G
    well, it has been mostly sports and news in the past, but in the past month or so there has certainly been a lot more netflix. lol

my old ass tv was starting to show its age last year, and i was still okay with it, but it really deteriorated rapidly since then with whack colors and darkened areas suddenly apppearing. i guess it's finally "totalled," meaning it probably costs more to repair than to replace. it got a nice 8-year run, so i'm cool with that ending.

i'm obviously not someone who gets a new screen every couple years, so if im getting a new one, i might as well get a nicer one. at least that's my justification for not buying the cheaper stuff. and besides, my idea of "normal" tv prices are still stuck.in the past. lol

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98 View Post
    I'd say get a regular 4k TV and wait for the Micro LEDs to come out in 2 years which will have better picture quality than OLEDs and they are much less prone to getting burn in.

Also they're cheaper to make so they are going to be more affordable when they come out.

OLEDs are not worth the hype in my opinion
    yeah, I'm sure something better will come out soon. But I need a replacement now, so if micro LED comes out next year and it's a lot better, that's fine. it wasn't my timing.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    You think so but here in our market, they still do exist as an option for those who want simple and cheaper ones.