soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Cool PREEMO VS RZA Official Thread

For my hip hop heads, this was legendary, historic, amazing, unbelievable, it was essentially a hip hop version of Kobe vs MJ one on one finally happening.

Hip hop heads always argued on the GOAT rapper and the GOAT producer. The 2 names that consistently always appeared on the top 5 were RZA and Preemo, 2 producers that shaped hip hop (for those that don't know).

My insights and a quick perspective...

I've been a HUGE fan of both rappers. I've been a producer for just over a decade and I understand production techniques and sampling.

Imo Preemo has better 'beats'
    RZA has better 'songs'

The difference being, Preemo's beats stand better on their own. Preemo's beats make you nod your head instantly, the epitome of 'boom-bap' hip hop.
    RZA's beats tell a story. They are great for storytelling thus making better overall 'songs' as opposed to head nodding.

Imo if we were to judge them based on beats alone, Preemo wins rather noticeably.
    RZA may perhaps have the edge when it comes to better songs, as the Wu are simply Nothin to f*ck With.

Imo Preemo won the battle as RZA dropped more than a few duds that took away from his bombs.

They were going blow for blow up (for the most part) until the 21st beat where RZA went downhill fast, with Preemo yet to drop big bombs.

On a technical standpoint Preemo's beats are better flat out. The sampling selection, the chopping, the drums, are all simply better than RZA's.

And of course there was a huge elephant in the room which was pointed out by some: RZA dropped beats that he didn't make. Some beats were ghost produced by DJ Mathematics and True Master.

Bong bong!

Default Re: PREEMO VS RZA Official Thread

Premier is a brawler, ready to make soundscapes to battle raps. Hard boom-bap.. RZA is from the school of Pete Rock: atmospheric dub-influenced gothic noir.

JDilla is my dude though. The GOAT