Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: The Logic of Quarantine Rules

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
    Not being able to pay bills.

Having to rely on the government to provide for one financially.

Saving money by not getting certain health things checked out, e.g going to the dentist.

Marital issues because of lack of money.

Worrying about where you are going to live.

Are just some of the things there is nothing stress free about, not today or 6 months from now. All these things, and many more, will cause a lot of people to have years shaved off their life in the end. There's also consequences towards how the kids of all the people affected by this grow up.
    yeah and obviously this can't last forever...if we are still shut down 6 months from now I will join the fight to open up...but at this current moment in time? no, we have not reached that yet.

Texas is already opening up SOME business this week...and other countries are reopening as well...so I do not foresee this being stretched out that long

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    The idea that heart attacks are down because of "stress" makes no sense whatsoever, considering "stress" is undoubtedly way up with - a biblical economic recession currently kicking off, 22m americans going on unemployment in the past month, children staying home all day rather than going to school, and huge levels of uncertainty about the economic future while society as we know it is collapsing.

IMO its far more likely that the number of heart attacks is going down for some other reason such as - people avoiding hospitals unless absolutely necessary, or heart attack deaths being re-classified as covid (heart disease and respiratory infections are highly correlated).
    I don't think so, yet.

although unemployment is still extremely high...90% of the workforce is still employed

So what is happening for 90% of us is that we are now working out of our home offices in our pajamas...AND collecting an extra stimulus check on top of our unaffected salaries.

Also, unemployment pay is ridiculous right now...there is a decent chance that even if you were laid off you are now making MORE money from unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    I don't think so, yet.

although unemployment is still extremely high...90% of the workforce is still employed

So what is happening for 90% of us is that we are now working out of our home offices in our pajamas...AND collecting an extra stimulus check on top of our unaffected salaries.

Also, unemployment pay is ridiculous right now...there is a decent chance that even if you were laid off you are now making MORE money from unemployment
    How exactly is it possible for 90% of the workforce to be employed when ~20% of working americans are currently unemployed?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...s-coronavirus/

According to the fed, another 67 million americans are currently at high risk of layoff and this economic catastrophe could ultimately result in ~47m lost jobs for a total unemployment rate of 32% or more

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coro...-fed-says.html

How exactly is it possible for 90% of the workforce to be employed when ~20% of working americans are currently unemployed?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...s-coronavirus/

According to the fed, another 67 million americans are currently at high risk of layoff and this economic catastrophe could ultimately result in ~47m lost jobs for a total unemployment rate of 32% or more

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/coro...-fed-says.html
    Maybe he’s counting the Undocumented illegals that work

22 mil out of 163 mil is 13.5%

we already had around 4% unemployment before this

22 mil out of 163 mil is 13.5%

we already had around 4% unemployment before this
    https://alexbick.weebly.com/uploads/...6/bb_covid.pdf

Not only is unemployment around 20%, but 25% of those still employed saw their hours decrease, and 21% of the employed saw a decline in their earnings.

https://alexbick.weebly.com/uploads/...6/bb_covid.pdf

Not only is unemployment around 20%, but 25% of those still employed saw their hours decrease, and 21% of the employed saw a decline in their earnings.
    Yup it’s even happening in healthcare which is literally the most secure industry

they haven't released April yet, because we are still in it...

http://www.dlt.ri.gov/lmi/laus/us/usadj.htm

but March was 4.4% unemployment

even if April is 20%...that still means 80% of the workforce pajama home working it, and those unemployed are still collecting big unemployment checks

Heart attacks are down 40%, and I think the correlation is that most of us are now working at home relaxing rather than in a stressful office/traffic setting...and even the unemployed are collecting a big checks are relaxing at home.

The idea that heart attacks are down because of "stress" makes no sense whatsoever, considering "stress" is undoubtedly way up
    Anti-anxiety medication prescriptions up 34% since coronavirus
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/healt...rus/index.html

Sometimes I wish I could be as clueless and carefree as primetime... no doubt being so completely oblivious to the harsh realities of the world would be incredibly liberating, and undoubtedly help reduce my own risk of dying from heart attack

Anyway... I'll always love you prime, never change

Sometimes I wish I could be as clueless and carefree as primetime... no doubt being so completely oblivious to the harsh realities of the world would be incredibly liberating, and undoubtedly help reduce my own risk of dying from heart attack

Anyway... I'll always love you prime, never change
    TRY THIS...instead of spending your time pointing fingers and throwing blame and focusing on "harsh realities" that are completely out of your control...try and figure out if you can make some money out of this situation and focus on that. There is positive and negative in everything...always better to focus on the positive and not live in fear.

I don't think so, yet.

The importance of opening up right now is far more important in terms of how we rebound.

The businesses that employee those laid off or furloughed will not be around to rehire when they reopen if we wait too long. Trump is correct, they HAVE to open up but based on not economic impact, but by impact caused by COVID.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Experts: "Studies show millions will die from this virus, but we can reduce it to only 1.1 million deaths if we take action"

Govt: "Shutdown now"

Experts: "Looks like our predictions were way off, only ~60,000 will die"

Govt: "More draconian measures. Shut down those golf courses and parks, pay people to snitch on others, and enact unconstitutional laws to force the remaining 15% (who aren't taking precautions) to obey us."

Cuomo: "It will be worth it, even if it saves just one life, I'll be happy."

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    The importance of opening up right now is far more important in terms of how we rebound.

The businesses that employee those laid off or furloughed will not be around to rehire when they reopen if we wait too long. Trump is correct, they HAVE to open up but based on not economic impact, but by impact caused by COVID.
    yeah, I said that if this were to go 6 months I'd join the fight to reopen.

The longer this goes the worse it gets...hell go long enough it would probably turn into a Mad Max movie...but currently right now? we're not dying of stress I don't think

yeah, I said that if this were to go 6 months I'd join the fight to reopen.

The longer this goes the worse it gets...hell go long enough it would probably turn into a Mad Max movie...but currently right now? we're not dying of stress I don't think
    Do you think businesses can remain open after 6 months of no income? I mean c'mon, how is that remotely realistic.