Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: The Logic of Quarantine Rules

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    okay, I didn't say anything about any poster...I was wondering why the conspiracy crowd is male dominated
    It's because men can critically think. Some may be outlandish, some spot on. But we can piece together information and come up with a conclusion
    Women have a tendancy to follow mass media and utilize it to self promote. They don't think for themselves and use whatever information to boost their own egos.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Yeah I'm not with the idea that following alt-conspiracy Alex Jones-esque type media rather than mainstream media means you're thinking for yourself and the others are sheep. Both groups are buying into a story that was thrown at them.

Women have access to Alex Jones, National Enquirer tabloid media. Women know Flat Earthers are a thing. They've heard of the Illuminate. They could "sheepishly" join those lines of thinking if they wanted to, but for whatever reason they have zero interest in that alt-universe.

I don't think women are smarter than men...not as adults anyway. They might be more mature as teenagers. It's something else... and honestly I have no idea, Ive wondered about this several times. I feel like it might be a difference in the way we grow up, how society treats us.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    Yeah I'm not with the idea that following alt-conspiracy Alex Jones-esque type media rather than mainstream media means you're thinking for yourself and the others are sheep. Both groups are buying into a story that was thrown at them.

Women have access to Alex Jones, National Enquirer tabloid media. Women know Flat Earthers are a thing. They've heard of the Illuminate. They could "sheepishly" join those lines of thinking if they wanted to, but for whatever reason they have zero interest in that alt-universe.

I don't think women are smarter than men...not as adults anyway. They might be more mature as teenagers. It's something else... and honestly I have no idea, Ive wondered about this several times. I feel like it might be a difference in the way we grow up, how society treats us.

They both have access sure. What I said was women are more subject to mainstream media IE Facebook, IG...and utilize flavor of the day to boost there personal feeds. Why do you think you see women with #Stayhome hashtags but yet use a personal pic with a booty shot? They like attention and use any platform to attract more of it

OTOH men like to read and gain knowledge to show intellectual superiority. We want to understand those ideas that peak our minds. Then present it in a way to welcome challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    Experts: "Studies show millions will die from this virus, but we can reduce it to only 1.1 million deaths if we take action"

Govt: "Shutdown now"

Experts: "Looks like our predictions were way off, only ~60,000 will die"

Govt: "More draconian measures. Shut down those golf courses and parks, pay people to snitch on others, and enact unconstitutional laws to force the remaining 15% (who aren't taking precautions) to obey us."

Cuomo: "It will be worth it, even if it saves just one life, I'll be happy."
    We should remember that there were several projections as to how many in the US and around the world would be infected with this novel coronavirus, and how many in the US and around the world would die as a result. Most scientists couched their projections with words of caution noting how difficult it is to model viral outbreaks in the early days and how a number of variables, both known and unknown, result in projections with wide ranges.

Some of the projections for covid-19’s spread in the United States have been grave. A forecast produced last month by Professor James Lawler of the University of Nebraska Medical Center on behalf of the American Hospital Association, for example, put the potential death toll at hundreds of thousands if efforts to mitigate the epidemic fail.

Another forecast, developed by former CDC director Tom Frieden at the nonprofit organization Resolve to Save Lives, found that deaths in the United States could range widely, depending on what percentage of the population becomes infected and how lethal the disease proves to be. Frieden, who oversaw the U.S. response to the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic, the 2014 Ebola epidemic and the 2016 Zika epidemic, says that in a worst-case scenario, but one that is not implausible, half the U.S. population would become infected and more than 1 million people would die.

His team put together a simple table that looks at various scenarios using case fatality ratios ranging from .1, similar to seasonal flu, to .5, a moderately severe pandemic, and 1.0, a severe one. The infection rate ranged from 0.1 percent of the population to 50 percent. That put the range of deaths at 327 (best case) to 1,635,000 (worst case). The deaths would not necessarily happen over a month or a year, but could occur over two or three years, he said.

U.S. officials have said they are working with 50 academic modeling groups around the country. But so far, no projections of the outbreak’s trajectory have been publicly released by the CDC or the White House coronavirus task force. Still, Frieden said, “anyone who says that they know where this is going with confidence doesn’t know enough about it.”
    As for draconian measures, I'd agree that governments should be careful not to overstep and should be balanced in their response to the health and economic concerns we're facing. However, from a practical standpoint, without some of the extreme measures local and state governments have taken, we'd currently be seeing a similar economic impact and forecast, but with a lot more deaths. If anyone thinks that restaurants and bars would remain open and profitable as this thing ran through the population unchecked, I'd love to hear that reasoning.

So with 6000 cases here and 60 deaths (old farts) out of around 26 million people, (obviously ten times deadlier than the flu bro) the idiot government is talking about mandatory download of the corona tracking app and you must have your phone on you at all times..

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post
    So with 6000 cases here and 60 deaths (old farts) out of around 26 million people, (obviously ten times deadlier than the flu bro) the idiot government is talking about mandatory download of the corona tracking app and you must have your phone on you at all times..
    Good luck to them enforcing that shit..

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots View Post
    I'm sure when the police pull people up and ask why they're outside they'll ask to see the app and it'll be another fine on top

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots View Post
    are you now getting how far this overreach is and what it could mean going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    are you now getting how far this overreach is and what it could mean going forward?
    These blind sheep still can't see it

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

These blind sheep still can't see it
    But lizard people, and tin foils, and less car accidents.

Good college starter

I'm sure when the police pull people up and ask why they're outside they'll ask to see the app and it'll be another fine on top
    "But I don't own a smart phone!"