Default Anyone here grow up poor?

Curious to learn if anyone grew up poor. I remember my dad was working 7 days a week as a mechanic trying to make ends meet.

Growing up, I couldn't get the things I wanted, despite not wanting much. I begged for a Gameboy, Gameboy Advance SP, PS1. That's all I had but it took a lot to get it.

I didn't have the nicest clothing. I wore the same stuff from 1-9th grade with the exception of 9-12 where I ended up getting better things, not the best though.

My father ended up making $140k+ when I graduated. My little sister ended up getting everything she could imagine. iPad 2 at like age 4-5, iPad Pro, all the sneakers and clothing, she's 13 and just got a new MBA just to do homework from home because of the virus. When she turns 16, my father made a deal whether she wants a Sweet 16 or a new car. She has it great especially now that I'm doing better, no one could say no to her.

I wasn't lucky to get much that I wanted. I however appreciated going through that struggle. It made me who I am today. I'm here sitting on a lot of money and don't want anything. Some eating out with nice food and traveling just fulfills my desires.

I remember I couldn't leave the pipe running while washing my hands or brushing my teeth. I couldn't shower too long. I couldn't leave the lights on if I wasn't in the room. I even learned how to type like 100WPM because I had to do homework with the lights off on my old Compaq Presario when everyone went to sleep.

Anyone else had a similar upbringing?

Edit: Wanted to add, my father worked as a tailor in his world country. Learned how to be a mechanic by cheating on the girl he was with to learn from her father while being with my mom. Came to America and struggled. He dropped out probably after Middle School. Kinda crazy to see his growth too. Owning his own house, nice cars, etc.
    Last edited by Draz; 04-17-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Default Re: Anyone here grow up poor?

i was raised in the projects. back when they were ghetto.

yeah, i use to want alot of things too when i was a kid and we were too poor to afford them. i remember wanting to build my own pc when i was like 13. last year i was finally able to afford an all out PC build. felt good. but i try not to buy too many things. it's better to save money.

it feels really good to know you can afford things you weren't able to do previously. but it's a better feeling to have self control and save money.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

thats not poor. my family only ever let me get ps1 and game boy too, didnt have cable til middle school just the 10 or so public channels. used to love going to grandmas house just to get to watch cartoon network. and my family wasnt poor, thats just middle class.

Poor is when you come home to no dinner at night and the pantry is bare and the only sustenance you get is free breakfast lunch and snacks at school.

5-time NBA All-Star

I did not grow up poor, but my parents are from Pakistan and Bangladesh. Visited there a few times.

The poverty in both of those countries is jawdropping. Kids bathing in sewage water. Kids digging in the trash for scraps. People living in shacks. Unreal.

I used to be deluded in thinking that the "elite" from the 3rd world come to America. That's not the case. There's plenty of brainpower back home. Even kids in the streets display intelligence, cunning and memories that will humble college students.

Some of the stories are incredibly inspiring. Elderly people without limbs striving to provide for their families.

But the riches they have in their heart (character) is something else.

The way they treat guests, their gratefulness for the smallest blessings, their sense of honor, modesty. Their resilience. Their spirituality. Their determination. Their lack of a fear of death. Their respect towards their elderly. The purity of their hearts.

Rich or poor. This worldly life will come and go before you know it. You can not bring your wealth with you when you face the inevitable reality of Death. Then we will have our Reckoning... Then the real life will begin.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 04-17-2020 at 06:43 PM.