Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Question CNN reports that up to 80,000 people have been infected in Santa Clara county.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/healt...udy/index.html

If 50 times more people have had the infection, the death rate could drop by that same factor, putting it "somewhere between 'little worse than the flu' to 'twice as bad as the flu' in terms of case fatality rate," Bhattacharya said.

Interesting.
    Last edited by warriorfan; 04-17-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Default Re: CNN reports that up to 80,000 people have been infected in Santa Clara county.

What happened to ten times deadlier than the flu bro!!?

We all need to be locked down for our own safety!!!!

Default Re: CNN reports that up to 80,000 people have been infected in Santa Clara county.

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post

Wheels with his compromised immune system getting all scared.

I was right all the f*cking long, I been said that this virus is comparable to the flu and it's not worth shutting down the entire economy over

I'm waiting for a apology for everyone that was attacking me for simply calling out the truth these past few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by coin24 View Post

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KD7 View Post
    I was right all the f*cking long, I been said that this virus is comparable to the flu and it's not worth shutting down the entire economy over

I'm waiting for a apology for everyone that was attacking me for simply calling out the truth these past few weeks
    Lizard people.

First Walk on Water was right all along about the Coronavirus, and now Manny98. The two posters with threads asking the mods to ban them. What a time.

People really laughing and joking about this??? one of my closer friend's pops just passed away and he was in good health, had everything going for him financially and was taking care of a lot of people. And it was this virus, not some fkin flu.

Go ahead and keep joking about this shit because that's what you people are, trolls on a message board.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Nothing would surprise me at this point. There have been so many plot twists for this pandemic that my head is on a swivel. Now some reports are coming out saying ventilators are actually hurting COVID-19 victims and contributing towards their demise.

I know one thing. Nothing is bringing my friend back to life and I've never known anyone in good health in their early 40s to pass away from the flu.

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

It would be interesting to see if a much more milder strain reached California via China first in November, and those people built up antibodies to deadlier mutated strains like the ones that affected NYC and Italy.

This book has just begun to be written. It will be very interesting looking back at things a year from now

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    Nothing would surprise me at this point. There have been so many plot twists for this pandemic that my head is on a swivel. Now some reports are coming out saying ventilators are actually hurting COVID-19 victims and contributing towards their demise.

I know one thing. Nothing is bringing my friend back to life and I've never known anyone in good health in their early 40s to pass away from the flu.
    I think one thing we may be starting to realize is how hard it is to deal with a novel virus, especially one that is able to spread so quickly. It seems like there has been just too much blame spread all around, expecting governments and health professionals to figure this thing out so quickly and have a measured and effective response. This virus straddles the line- it isn’t extremely lethal, but it sure is complicated trying to figure out how to deal with it and minimize the damages. In reality, it just isn’t so simple. I keep seeing people blame the model. I work in a field where there is a lot of modeling. It is not easy. You need a lot of quality data and there are so many factors that needs to be accounted for, and the models themselves need constant tweaking so even when you do the best that you think you’ve done, it still could be way off. We still have difficulty predicting the weather a week out, for example. The best thing we can do right now is just take this as a learning experience and use it to be better prepared next time.

And for all the people who keep saying they were right, well good job- what do you want, a trophy? Maybe next time put your money into some short term trading stocks so you get something out of your predictive powers. There is still a lot unknown about this virus and the fact that we are already seeing a second wave in multiple countries and people testing positive again who have been confirmed to have had it already isn’t the best sign. This isn’t over yet and we obviously don’t know as much as we think we do.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

first of all, if half the population shows no symptoms...and children are asymptomatic...but for everyone else it is still 10x stronger than flu and intensive care worthy...that means it is still stronger than flu

second...now suddenly CNN is credible source? most studies are showing 25%-30% asymptomatic....there is no way in fck 50X more people have it than previously thought

Quote Originally Posted by falc39 View Post
    I think one thing we may be starting to realize is how hard it is to deal with a novel virus, especially one that is able to spread so quickly. It seems like there has been just too much blame spread all around, expecting governments and health professionals to figure this thing out so quickly and have a measured and effective response. This virus straddles the line- it isn’t extremely lethal, but it sure is complicated trying to figure out how to deal with it and minimize the damages. In reality, it just isn’t so simple. I keep seeing people blame the model. I work in a field where there is a lot of modeling. It is not easy. You need a lot of quality data and there are so many factors that needs to be accounted for, and the models themselves need constant tweaking so even when you do the best that you think you’ve done, it still could be way off. We still have difficulty predicting the weather a week out, for example. The best thing we can do right now is just take this as a learning experience and use it to be better prepared next time.
    Pretty strongly disagree on this. As united people worldwide, we've kicked this things ass as much as you could hope for by now.
    A couple of months ago we were so worried how it would like by now, millions or even tens of millions dead is what was feared, and here we are at 160K confirmed deaths worldwide.

How worried we were about the infection rate, well social distancing took care of that.
    How worried we were about the fatality rate, social distancing took care of that as well, resulting in 99.9% of all hospitals NOT becoming overloaded. And now there are reports coming out of a lot more infected than "what we knew"(except a lot of us knew this was happening, because why wouldn't it, given the infection rate) and we're going to see very low mortality rates.

This is GREAT news.

It a shame that 3.4% mortality rate was peddled for a long time as being possible, "because we can only go with what we know", when it made no logical sense for it to be that high.

On another note, I was at the emergency room three days ago for my back, a private hospital nonetheless, but usually you still have quite a line in the waiting room. This time I got my insurance papers at the reception, went straight through the EM doors and looked to my right where there were two doctors and two nurses sitting around a table. One of the doctors got up immediately and asked "what can we do for you?" Got an appointment for an orthopedist the next day as well, and was offered a referral for a quick MRI at that consultation if I want it.
    I don't mean to make light of the situation, but it was the best healthcare experience of my life and I wish it was always more or less like that. I hate the fact that people have to wait while they are hurting, and it's a shame that governments in so many countries do as much as possible to save in this area.
    There should be double of everything, no it's not the effective, but it'll help people feel safe both in the short and long term, and it'll make them feel better as well.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

the US has 37,000 covid deaths, and this thing just started up a few months ago...covid is currently the #1 cause of death in the country, ahead of heart disease, cancer, everything

influenza deaths for the 2019-20 season are probably already less than that...it is a given that covid will eclipse the flu in death numbers this year, and that is WITH a covid shutdown even...without a shutdown covid deaths would obliterate the flu in death numbers

You can claim fake news if you want it their study said otherwise.