Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Back to work: Post virus break

Renata Burigatto received a text message from her husband, NBA referee Mark Lindsay, 30 minutes after the scheduled tip-off of the game he was assigned to officiate between the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder on March 11. “I texted him, ‘Oh no, you OK? Did you get hurt?” Burigatto told USA TODAY Sports. “He replied, ‘No, they stopped the game and are going to test us for the coronavirus.’ ”
    – via USA Today Sports

That began a stressful 12 hours for the couple, who were already operating under great stress because Burigatto is a frontline COVID-19 doctor specializing in acute in-patient care at Penn Medicine’s Chester County (Pennsylvania) Hospital. “It was a very powerful night for us both on a personal and professional level,” Burigatto said. “I very busy in the hospital, working seven days in a row, 13 hours a day. Trying [to] balance that with trying to convey safety was challenging. We also have three young children at home. We were trying to keep them safe and consider whether we were going to keep them in school at that time. There was a little of uncertainty and there was a lot of anxiety about what choices we were going to make to keep all of safe.”
    – via USA Today Sports

In their own way, Lindsay and Burigatto are at the heart of COVID-19 – Lindsay being on the court when the Thunder team doctor ran on the court to inform referees of the unfolding situation of a player testing positive and the idea that other players could be infected and Burigatto caring for patients on the East Coast. “The anxiety of her or one of us becoming infected is very real,” Lindsay said. “That thought is never too far from my mind especially when she’s at the hospital. We experience that anxiety, isolation and uncertainty.”
    – via USA Today Sports

Ingles, a key member of the Utah Jazz who sit in fourth place in the Western Conference, has said he is prepared to “walk away, fly to Australia and never play another game in my life and be very content with it” to protect his family from the virus. His wife, Australian netball great Renae Ingles, is expecting their third child and four-year-old son Jacob has autism and a weakened immune system.
    – via Peter Mitchell @ Yahoo! Sports

Ingles will take a wait-and-see approach to playing games if the season does start. “It’s not worth it,” Ingles, discussing practice at the Jazz facility, told Utah radio station 1280 The Zone last week. “I have a gym, I have everything I can do. As for basketball, it’s a bit more difficult, but I think that as we go ahead and find out more information about it, it will be easier to make a decision. But I am in no way willing to risk my children, and Renae, and everything else, to go play basketball.”
    – via Peter Mitchell @ Yahoo! Sports
    Start Clarkson?

Mirotic confirmed that he had a three-year offer on his hands by the Utah Jazz. He was actually about to interrupt his vacations in Greece in order to attend a meeting with the club to sign the deal but didn’t board the plane at the very last minute since he came to the final decision that he doesn’t want to be in the NBA anymore.
    – via EuroHoops.net

“I wanted to spend free agency while on vacation in Greece with my family. Utah wanted to have a meeting on June 30 to sign me as the first player in free agency,” Mirotic said. “They offered me three years guaranteed, a great contract. I spoke to my wife and she told me to take what made me happy. I took a ticket for two days, a round trip, and I left. I was waiting at the gate of the Thessaloniki airport when I started to think: ‘What do I do at the airport? Why am I not with my family? The NBA?’. I said to myself: ‘Don’t do it Niko. If you go, you will sign.’ I left the airport and went back to the hotel. I told my agent that I wasn’t going to catch the flight and to apologize to Utah for not attending the meeting. “I’m going to take another path, I don’t want to continue in the NBA.”
    – via EuroHoops.net

“There are people who want to be in the NBA, even if they don’t play. But basketball in Europe is of a high level, the EuroLeague is becoming more competitive, the Liga Endesa is being tremendously strong and, for me, this is a step forward in my career. Now, I have to prove something again,” Mirotic said in a video interview for Sergiobasket Vlogs.
    – via EuroHoops.net
    I originally thought they dodged a bullet there but with their hole at the 4 and lack of size he might have actually been a better fit than Bojan

https://basketball.realgm.com/analys...-The-Utah-Jazz

The saddest ballad in all of jazz comes out of Salt Lake City. In 1988, surging with the nascent, still pretty raw potential of the pairing of a young John Stockton (26) with a young Karl Malone (24), the city’s ironically titled basketball team pushed the soon-to-be NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers to seven games in a playoff series. It was reasonably assumed, the following season, that the Jazz were title contenders as the dynamic between one of the game’s best ever point guards and one of its best ever finishers sharpened, and both were anchored by a nimble 7-foot-4 Defensive Player of the Year, Mark Eaton. Instead, in what was both an early flash of the future of basketball and a harbinger of more than a decade of indignities to come, the Jazz were swept out of the first round of the 1989 playoffs by Don Nelson’s Golden State Warriors, who had Eaton running all over the place, struggling to keep up with a barrage of small, quick three-guard lineups.

why would Eaton struggle being so nimble and all?

Georges Niang: In this time we need to come together as humans regardless of race, gender and enthicity! And do the right thing and try our best to spread love and positivity! What is happening to our country is devastating and we need to come together and change that now!
    – via Twitter GeorgesNiang20

Bobby Portis, who has a team option next season that opposing teams see as unlikely to be exercised, hit 36 percent of his three-point attempts (which matches his career average).
    – via SportsNet New York

might be able to get him on a good deal with the uncertainty ahead

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/...n-of-a-new-era

As the buzzer sounded, the crowd went nuts, confetti rained down from the ceiling, Mitchell raised his arms in celebration, Westbrook went to the locker room and Snyder circled around to hug a bunch of his players. When he met Mitchell, the pain of losing Hayward 10 months previous was officially gone and a new course of Utah Jazz basketball was being charted.

Pretty much the same course as it's been since December 2014. Go as far as Rudy carries you

Learning to shoot layups

Eric Walden: Asked how the Jazz can play more uptempo with top transition finisher Bojan Bogdanovic out, Ingles said he expects lots of lineups in which Gobert/Bradley are surrounded by 4 guys who “can handle, push, rebound the ball. … We can be a really dangerous team playing like that.” – via Twitter tribjazz
    We knew that Hayward's last season and yet they put Favors back in the starting lineup and replaced Hill with Rubio.