Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Article from 1996 talking about how weak and diluted the NBA has become

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Yeah "weird" all-star selections happen all the time.

Why is there confusion?

And Goran Dragic? Guess that's what happens when you scrape the bottom of the barrel.
    Yea well, like I said, it happens, for whatever that may be. Bj Armstrong made the all-star team in 1994. Did he deserve it? No. He just happened to get voted on and Reggie Miller got left off.

Great college starter

Default Re: Article from 1996 talking about how weak and diluted the NBA has become

Kyle Korver made the All-Star team in 2015 btw

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Kyle Korver made the All-Star team in 2015 btw
    Shit...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

You do realize Gatling played on a 24-58 team that ranked #28 on offense right? He came off the bench that year and didn't even win 6MOY.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Who cares? It doesn't mean every year they made it, that they deserved to make it or had prototypical "all-star" years. Horford made the AS game averaging 12 ppg. Lowry 14 ppg. Let's stop getting carried away with other years as if that defines that specific year for that player.
    I mean Lowry is gonna make the HOF and you'll look pretty stupid talking about him the way you are in this thread when that happens.

Horford is legit too, or at least he was.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    You do realize Gatling played on a 24-58 team that ranked #28 on offense right? He came off the bench that year and didn't even win 6MOY.
    While Horford averaged "12" (rounding 12.9 down ) along with 7 boards and 5 assists on the #1 seed.

I mean Lowry is gonna make the HOF and you'll look pretty stupid talking about him the way you are in this thread when that happens.

Horford is legit too, or at least he was.
    Yeah these guys are recognized as good players in their eras. Great? No, but perennial all-stars don't grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    While Horford averaged "12" (rounding 12.9 down ) on the #1 seed.
    Horford BPM that year: 4.4
    Gatling BPM that year: 0.8

But but muh PPGZ!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Yeah "weird" all-star selections happen all the time.

Why is there confusion?

And Goran Dragic? Guess that's what happens when you scrape the bottom of the barrel.
    I agree, but not as drastic as it was in '97, in '97 you had 6 players make the team who were only 3x All-Stars or less in their careers and that doesn't include guys like Vin Baker or Latrell Sprewell who didn't make All-star games consistently throughout their careers. You can't name me one year with such unimpressive names.

College star

When did I say Gatling was > than any of those guys? My point is that you have questionable players who make the team, who may have no deserved to make it that particular year. It happens. I'm not taking aim at Lowry's entire career, nor am I Horford's. 12.9, 13, 12 ppg, whatever you want to call it.

Gatling averaging 19 ppg coming off the bench on a high fg% is impressive any way you look at it. Not to mention, he added 8 rebounds in just 27 minutes. And Gatling wasn't even supposed to play! He replaced Charles Barkley who was injured. So stop hatin!

Horford didn't make it for his scoring. This is like saying Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace were weak allstars.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I agree, but not as drastic as it was in '97, in '97 you had 6 players make the team who were only 3x All-Stars or less in their careers and that doesn't include guys like Vin Baker or Latrell Sprewell who didn't make All-star games consistently throughout their careers. You can't name me one year with such unimpressive names.
    2009 had guys like David West, Devin Harris, Rashard Lewis, and Mo Williams.

2013 had guys like Zach Randolph, Luol Deng, Brook Lopez, and Jrue Holiday.

It happens.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Horford didn't make it for his scoring. This is like saying Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace were weak allstars.
    Right, because Al Horford is anywhere near the defensive rank of Mutombo and Ben Wallace, two of the greatest defensive players and rebounders, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsNY View Post
    Right, because Al Horford is anywhere near the defensive rank of Mutombo and Ben Wallace, two of the greatest defensive players and rebounders, ever.
    I didn't say that, but he made the ASG for the same reason they did. It's not unheard of. Players like DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert are further examples. And Horford is definitely more valuable than any of them on offense.

College star

I didn't say that, but he made the ASG for the same reason they did. It's not unheard of. Players like DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gobert are further examples. And Horford is definitely more valuable than any of them on offense.
    That's one way of looking at it. Look, the bottomline is, these tear down posts do nothing to analyze anything. Talking about Chris Gatling being an all-star in 1997 while ignoring:

1) He was replacing an injured Charles Barkley
    2) He averaged 19 ppg and 8 rebs, shooting 52% off the bench (37 ppg-15.5 rebs per 100 possessions)

is a faulty way of looking at anything. In any era, on any team, a player (any player), averaging 19/8 off the bench would be praised. I don't see the sense in trying to tear that player's accomplishment down, especially when his all-star selection was because he was replacing a HOF player.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    So does this mean todays teams are weaker?