Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: Breaking News: China renewing lockdown restrictions after new coronavirus outbrea

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
    So surely it must be possible to find a study that shows masks helping to prevent the spread among the population of a country during a pandemic. Can you find it? Nope, because it doesn't exists, as there are too many other ways to still get the virus.
    Of course there are still many ways of getting the virus. Not wearing a mask is like you not washing your hands on a regular basis. Both are just 2 ways to prevent the spread but there are many other ways to spread it.

Are you going to stop washing your hands just because "there are too many other ways to still get the virus"?

Default Re: Breaking News: China renewing lockdown restrictions after new coronavirus outbrea

I would say 100% of Japanese people in public are wearing masks, but possibly for the same reason Americans refuse to. Over there you would be looked at as a dipshit for not wearing a mask at a time like this.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie View Post
    Of course there are still many ways of getting the virus. Not wearing a mask is like you not washing your hands on a regular basis. Both are just 2 ways to prevent the spread but there are many other ways to spread it.

Are you going to stop washing your hands just because "there are too many other ways to still get the virus"?
    You may not believe what Nanners write to be true, but everyone wearing masks leads to a psychological burden on society, especially if forced by government. You may say "Well what about Asia, they all wear masks in public", but in Asia it's different as it's not uncommon seeing someone wearing a mask.

Me washing my hands at my house does not carry that burden. And no I'm not going to stop washing my hands, I was doing that regularly before covid19, after being in toilet, before eating, after handling cash etc. I wasn't wearing a mask before covid though.

So no, not wearing a mask and not washing hands isn't the same thing, that's why health officials all over the world don't want to order people to wear masks unless it's absolutely necessary. Because masks doesn't prevent spread of a virus among the general public of a country, but they make people scared.

Next big thing is that we'll get told that because of social distancing, the virus is now plausible to have mutated to a stronger version, because it had to in order to survive. Leftist will argue this as another reason to extend lockdown measures and stay at home, not realizing that staying at home is the reason for it becoming stronger and if it's kept up it could get even worse.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 05-21-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie View Post

Less conspiracy theorists in Japan.

You may not believe what Nanners write to be true, but everyone wearing masks leads to a psychological burden on society, especially if forced by government. You may say "Well what about Asia, they all wear masks in public", but in Asia it's different as it's not uncommon seeing someone wearing a mask.

Me washing my hands at my house does not carry that burden. And no I'm not going to stop washing my hands, I was doing that regularly before covid19, after being in toilet, before eating, after handling cash etc. I wasn't wearing a mask before covid though.

So no, not wearing a mask and not washing hands isn't the same thing, that's why health officials all over the world don't want to order people to wear masks unless it's absolutely necessary. Because masks doesn't prevent spread of a virus among the general public of a country, but they make people scared.

Next big thing is that we'll get told that because of social distancing, the virus is now plausible to have mutated to a stronger version, because it had to in order to survive. Leftist will argue this as another reason to extend lockdown measures and stay at home, not realizing that staying at home is the reason for it becoming stronger and if it's kept up it could get even worse.
    I'd argue that masks actually makes people feel safe. Most people would feel safer walking into a building where everyone wore a mask, vs. a building where no one wore a mask.

That's only IF you understand that the point of having a mask on is that you don't unknowingly release the virus from your own mouth. Wearing a mask means you actually care about the health of others.

When I walk into a supermarket, my first impression of the people that don't wear a mask is that they're selfish. Who cares about the health of others, when a mask looks stupid on your face.

So does sneezing into your arm or a piece of cloth/paper.

You're correct in the features of the mask, and if you suspect you have covid then wear one.

But outside of that, I don't believe any documentation exists that shows masks prevent spread in general populations - feel free to try and find some. There are simply too many other ways for people to come in contact with a spreading virus.

as of now, how does one suspect they have covid? The majority do not have symptoms. There are numerous studies done regarding the effectiveness of reducing droplets that contain viral load. To reduce the amount in the environment and prevent spread to someone immunocompromised, it is suggested you wear a mask for the safety of others.

Here is one study in one of the top medical journals:
    We also demonstrated the efficacy of surgical masks to reduce coronavirus detection and viral copies in large respiratory droplets and in aerosols (Table 1b). This has important implications for control of COVID-19, suggesting that surgical face masks could be used by ill people to reduce onward transmission.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

Covid is mostly transmitted by droplets - which is why nasal swabs are were preferred as they contain the highest concentration of viral load vs saliva which is safer in terms of collecting.
    Last edited by rawimpact; 05-21-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    as of now, how does one suspect they have covid? The majority do not have symptoms. There are numerous studies done regarding the effectiveness of reducing droplets that contain viral load. To reduce the amount in the environment and prevent spread to someone immunocompromised, it is suggested you wear a mask for the safety of others.

Here is one study in one of the top medical journals:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

Covid is mostly transmitted by droplets - which is why nasal swabs are were preferred as they contain the highest concentration of viral load vs saliva which is safer in terms of collecting.
    One would be if you're showing any kind of symptoms(though then you should be quarantining), another would be if you've been in contact with people where you know there's an outbreak - e.g if you leave the New York.

That study explains why wearing a mask properly on an individual level would help, but in terms of asking people in the millions to wear masks all the time, there's no study made to suggest that doing so helps prevent a spread within that group. One reason is that there are too many other ways of contracting the virus, another being that too many people make mistakes in trying to wear the mask correctly at all times, as well as people being lulled into a false sense of security - case in point the comment from Noobie in the previous post "it makes me feel safe".
    I read that there's no study to support it from a scientist who specializes in virology, he specifically mentioned that during SARS they were perplexed in China as to why it was still spreading after they had everyone working with it wearing masks, the reason being that people were making way too many mistakes in using the masks correctly.

I'd argue that masks actually makes people feel safe. Most people would feel safer walking into a building where everyone wore a mask, vs. a building where no one wore a mask.

That's only IF you understand that the point of having a mask on is that you don't unknowingly release the virus from your own mouth. Wearing a mask means you actually care about the health of others.

When I walk into a supermarket, my first impression of the people that don't wear a mask is that they're selfish. Who cares about the health of others, when a mask looks stupid on your face.
    You might feel more safe, but the reason you're feeling this is because you're feeling fear to begin with, a fear which a wide mandate to wear masks at all times will reinforce.
    "Look, everyone else is wearing a mask, because the virus is too dangerous for us not to have to".

I'd like to know, in your opinion, at what point is a virus bad enough to mandate everyone wearing masks all the time? How fast does it need to spread and how high must the mortality rate be?
    You're saying now that people who don't wear masks are selfish because of how dangerous covid is. But I'm guessing you're not saying the same for the flu, which has killed people for years without anyone in the western world thinking we should wear masks all the time, even though you walk around people with underlying conditions, probably every day, putting them at risk.

One would be if you're showing any kind of symptoms(though then you should be quarantining), another would be if you've been in contact with people where you know there's an outbreak - e.g if you leave the New York.

That study explains why wearing a mask properly on an individual level would help, but in terms of asking people in the millions to wear masks all the time, there's no study made to suggest that doing so helps prevent a spread within that group. One reason is that there are too many other ways of contracting the virus, another being that too many people make mistakes in trying to wear the mask correctly at all times, as well as people being lulled into a false sense of security - case in point the comment from Noobie in the previous post "it makes me feel safe".
    I read that there's no study to support it from a scientist who specializes in virology, he specifically mentioned that during SARS they were perplexed in China as to why it was still spreading after they had everyone working with it wearing masks, the reason being that people were making way too many mistakes in using the masks correctly.

You might feel more safe, but the reason you're feeling this is because you're feeling fear to begin with, a fear which a wide mandate to wear masks at all times will reinforce.
    "Look, everyone else is wearing a mask, because the virus is too dangerous for us not to have to".

I'd like to know, in your opinion, at what point is a virus bad enough to mandate everyone wearing masks all the time? How fast does it need to spread and how high must the mortality rate be?
    You're saying now that people who don't wear masks are selfish because of how dangerous covid is. But I'm guessing you're not saying the same for the flu, which has killed people for years without anyone in the western world thinking we should wear masks all the time, even though you walk around people with underlying conditions, probably every day, putting them at risk.
    I never suggested mandating masks in public.

1. Not everyone knows if they have active COVID or not (Most are asymptomatic)
    2. People do not know whether or not they're spreading it
    3. Some populations (such as immunocompromised, geriatric etc.) are more vulnerable with a steep prognosis
    4. Covid spreads commonly through droplets in our environment
    5. Masks have proven to reduce the number of droplets being expelled from high viral concentrated areas such as the nasopharyngeal cavity

Therefore, if people wear masks routinely in an area they are near others, especially those populations mentioned above, they are LESS LIKELY to be infected.

Do i think we can mandate everyone wear a masks in public? No - I'm just advocating for best logical practice and let that decision be up to the person.

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    I never suggested mandating masks in public.

1. Not everyone knows if they have active COVID or not (Most are asymptomatic)
    2. People do not know whether or not they're spreading it
    3. Some populations (such as immunocompromised, geriatric etc.) are more vulnerable with a steep prognosis
    4. Covid spreads commonly through droplets in our environment
    5. Masks have proven to reduce the number of droplets being expelled from high viral concentrated areas such as the nasopharyngeal cavity

Therefore, if people wear masks routinely in an area they are near others, especially those populations mentioned above, they are LESS LIKELY to be infected.

Do i think we can mandate everyone wear a masks in public? No - I'm just advocating for best logical practice and let that decision be up to the person.
    And I never said wearing masks within a confined space doesn't help in preventing spread ;) I believe the conversation here was about everyone wearings masks all the time in public, someone argued as well that it's what they do in Japan. So I was responding to that sentiment.
    Last edited by ZenMaster; 05-21-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico2016 View Post
    Quick, let us cripple the world' most powerful economy in order to save 1% of the old people that were likely to die anyway! We must let the entire world suffer to save some old, at-risk people! In addition to this mindset, we must let the needs of the few, outweigh the needs of the many! That's how it goes, right?

Can I propose a quick and easy fix? May I propose such an idea?

-if you are at-risk, stay home. Quarantine.
    -if you are not at-risk, be careful with a mask and/or gloves and use social distancin

The only way we can pull through this is to basically get exposed and build up antibodies, no? Isn't that the reason why this disease has been spreading rampant? So by quarantining we are technically exposing less people so slowing down the building of antibodies. This is my take anyway, let me know if it makes sense or not.
    How dare you actually use common sense!!! Don't you know you are supposed to be in panic mode?

And I never said wearing masks within a confined space doesn't help in preventing spread ;) I believe the conversation here was about everyone wearings masks all the time in public, someone argued as well that it's what they do in Japan. So I was responding to that sentiment.
    Yet you seem opposed to people wearing masks for some foolish reason I have yet to fathom. Folks like noobie has posted that wearing a mask around other people would help prevent the spread of covid-19, which is factually correct. You just said you don't disagree with people wearing masks in confined spaces, so why do you continue to make posts after posts that attempt to contradict that point? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point?

If you are around other people, wear a mask. Do you agree with that statement or disagree? If you agree (or don't disagree) then what are you even arguing at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Yet you seem opposed to people wearing masks for some foolish reason I have yet to fathom. Folks like noobie has posted that wearing a mask around other people would help prevent the spread of covid-19, which is factually correct. You just said you don't disagree with people wearing masks in confined spaces, so why do you continue to make posts after posts that attempt to contradict that point? Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point?

If you are around other people, wear a mask. Do you agree with that statement or disagree? If you agree (or don't disagree) then what are you even arguing at this point?
    Noobie suggested that everyone in the US should have worn a mask for two weeks straight, and I pointed out that no factual study exists that proves wearing masks in a general population does anything to prevent spread within said population, so it probably wouldn't do much to help, other than remind people that the virus is so bad that everyone should wear a mask all the time, which carries other psychological factors.

Sure you can do an experiment like that with hamsters, but it does not take into affect the mistake PEOPLE make when wearing masks in public.

Noobie suggested that everyone in the US should have worn a mask for two weeks straight, and I pointed out that no factual study exists that proves wearing masks in a general population does anything to prevent spread within said population, so it probably wouldn't do much to help, other than remind people that the virus is so bad that everyone should wear a mask all the time, which carries other psychological factors.

Sure you can do an experiment like that with hamsters, but it does not take into affect the mistake PEOPLE make when wearing masks in public.
    There are literally thousands of studies that show masks help. You just refuse to believe them. One google search will result in thousands of studies but of course you'll think "google links are fake news".

Look at Hong Kong for example. Such a dense population stuck on an Island. The main doctor in charge of the SARS pandemic told everyone from the start that face masks were the best way to stop this spread. They have such low numbers. EVERYONE there is wearing a mask. The government is even giving out free masks to people. But of course their numbers must be fake too right?