Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1118192021
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: ESPN's top 10 players of all time

You need to win more than one title with the franchise that drafted you to be in the top 3.

High School Varsity 6th Man 8Ball's Avatar

You need to make more than 15 all nba teams to be the goat

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    You need to make more than 15 all nba teams to be the goat
    You need to only win gold medals for the USA in basketball for GOAT. Otherwise you should be executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    Imagine putting someone with only 4 rings as the #2 GOAT

As tpols said...espn hype machine is real. Also...Kobe moving up spots AFTER retiring...cringeworthy indeed
    Russell says hi with 11

And Kobe has 5 so be careful with that Your metric is saying MJ is close to Kobe YIKES

Kobe is 12th on my list. So is MJ 11th now?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    You need to win more than one title with the franchise that drafted you to be in the top 3.
    What is your top 3?

You need to only win gold medals for the USA in basketball for GOAT. Otherwise you should be executed.
    Or just avoid three 1st.round sweeps

Your favorite nba player Tim Duncan aka Tim Bronzecan never won a Gold Medal for Team USA. He, Marbury and Iverson was the reason why they lost in the 2004 Olympics. He struggled playing under the fiba rules. And Duenas out rebounded him when team USA played against Spain.

Presented by YouTubeTV SouBeachTalents's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog View Post
    Imagine putting someone with only 4 rings as the #2 GOAT

As tpols said...espn hype machine is real. Also...Kobe moving up spots AFTER retiring...cringeworthy indeed
    I wonder if there are posters on other forums that argue that Montana & Gretzky aren't in the GOAT discussion because they 'only' won 4 championships

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I wonder if there's posters on other forums that try to argue Montana & Gretzky aren't GOAT material because they 'only' won 4 championships
    The NBA fan is a special breed of stupid. I've posted on hfboards and footballsfuture, and they do debate these sort of things but it isn't quite like we do it in basketball. In basketball it's never that one guy is better than the other even though they're both awesome, it's that the other guy (who is still like top 5 in the estimation of his detractor) is absolute trash. like you wouldn't even want this guy on your team if you went off what you just read.

NBA rookie of the year

You need to win rings organically and drive ratings to be on that list. Lebron does neither so he's not a top 10 player.

I made a GOAT score to help me rank players and gauge how active players are approaching the GOAT list.

GOAT score = 1*(MVPs) + 1*(All NBA 1st teams) + 1*(FMVPS) + 1*(Championships) + 0.5*(Regular seasons with WS > 0.25) + 0.5*(Regular seasons with BPM > 7) + 0.5*(Post seasons with WS > 0.25) + 0.5*(Post seasons with BPM > 7)

I chose the cutoffs BPM > 7 and WS/48 > 0.25 looking at Duncan and Shaqs Bball reference pages because I felt like the BPM threshold would capture longevity and the WS threshold would capture insane peak play.

I used the 0.5 weights so that a FMVP + championship season where the player doesn't really have GOAT level impact metrics would equal a season where a player makes the playoffs and shows GOAT level impact metrics in the regular season and post season.

I don't include defensive player of the year/all defensive teams because a GOAT level season means you were top 5 overall, not just looking at defense. All stars appearences aren't valuable enough to include when thinking about GOAT level impact.

The top 10 using this formula calculates as such:
    1. Lebron 46.5
    2. MJ 46
    3. Kareem 36.5
    4. Bill Russel 32
    5. Magic Johnson 30.5
    6. Duncan 26
    7. Wilt 24
    8. Shaq 23
    9. Bird 22.5
    10. Kobe 22

Notably, Lebron just passed MJ this season using the GOAT formula. I just calculated the players I consider to be top 10 (I calculated Hakeem too because I used to rank him above Kobe but he scores at 15.5). The score recreates the top 10 I think pretty accurately.

I also calculated a bunch of active players because I think the most interesting aspect of the score is that you can use it to see how active players stack up to historical players - because people will always give more respect to the historical players.

KD 20.5
    CP3 19
    Harden 15
    Curry 14
    Kawhi 12.5
    Giannis 8

Notably, KD is almost in the top 10 via this score, and Harden and CP3 score very well via this score, which in my mind isn't a bad thing. I think these are guys who have had all-time great impact and have been underrated by having to face GOAT level competition (ie GSW), or being unfortunate in terms of injuries. Curry was likely harmed in this score by having to play with Durant and curtailing his own indivdual accolades (impact metrics and All NBAs/MVPs) while not winning FMVP.

I'll probably try calculating more players later to get a more comprehensive list, feel free to do so yourself if you feel like it.
    Last edited by ThatCoolKid; 10-22-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Good High School Starter

Things that automatically disqualify you from being GOAT:

1. Three first round exits
    2. Relying on one particular player to win, and never even having a winning season without that player
    3. Averaging 4.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists in a finals series
    4. Lack of a proper 3 point shot
    5. Your team winning only two less games without you than the previous season with you

Only one of these is enough to disqualify you from being GOAT, but all 5?? Forget about it.