Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant vs Lebron James

Quote Originally Posted by 2much_knowledge View Post
    I don't go by stat padding. Duncan and Kobe played in the tougher conference and had better results

Kobe dealt with Duncan so many times i lost count. Duncan pushed lebron's shit in twice in the finals.

Kobe was able to defend his tittle twice with different teams. Duncan never was able to defend his tittle.

Kobe > both
    I disagree with virtually everything you just posted lol. Yes, Kobe gave the Spurs the business on numerous occasions, and he was usually the Lakers best player against them. But I can't ignore the fact that Kobe had Shaq in 5 of their 6 meetings from 99-04, while Duncan had nobody even remotely in the vicinity of that. He had an end of his career Robinson and baby Parker & Manu, nobody even worthy of a comparison to prime Shaq. '08 is definitely a valid series to use, but those early battles, '01 & '02 especially, Kobe had too significant of an advantage to ignore.

And the Duncan/LeBron Finals argument is just painfully devoid of logic or reason. Duncan was the colossal favorite their first go round with a massive disparity of talent at his advantage. Don't get it twisted, LeBron was absolutely atrocious in those Finals, and Duncan's presence in the paint played a key role in hindering LeBron attacking the rim. But he was not exactly lighting the world on fire in those Finals offensively, averaging 18 ppg on 21 shots on 48%TS. He did outplay LeBron in that series, but LeBron in his wildest dreams could never get away with having a Finals that woefully inept offensively and not only still win the series, but win in a SWEEP Just for reference LeBron averaged those scoring numbers in 2011 and that's considered the worst series of all time by numerous people.

In 2014 yes the Spurs pushed Miami's shit in, but that doesn't mean individually Duncan did that to LeBron. And I don't wanna delve too far into the numbers to try to knock Duncan, he did exactly what was asked of him and had a nice series considered his age. But I can't pretend a 38 year old putting up role player production was outplaying a guy who nearly doubled his ppg average in the same series, and who unlike Duncan was tasked with shouldering his teams scoring load. It's frankly just an asinine comparison to make, you would look ridiculous trying to claim Duncan was better individually than LeBron in 2014. Trust me, if LeBron averages 15 ppg in the Finals 2 years from now I guarantee people won't even give him credit for the title

So look, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I feel you rely WAY too heavily on team results to reach the conclusions that you do, and that's frankly all you used in your analysis, h2h team record and titles. The truth is you won't find even 10% of rankings that don't have these guys ranked LeBron > Duncan > Kobe. I'm not advocating you fall in line with popular opinion, there's certainly things I don't agree with the consensus about, but you would have to acknowledge you'd be in the pretty extreme minority to have the ranking be different, especially having Kobe ranked ahead of both of them
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 04-16-2021 at 02:53 AM.

Decent college freshman 2much_knowledge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    I disagree with virtually everything you just posted lol. Yes, Kobe gave the Spurs the business on numerous occasions, and he was usually the Lakers best player against them. But I can't ignore the fact that Kobe had Shaq in 5 of their 6 meetings from 99-04, while Duncan had nobody even remotely in the vicinity of that. He had an end of his career Robinson and baby Parker & Manu, nobody even worthy of a comparison to prime Shaq. '08 is definitely a valid series to use, but those early battles, '01 & '02 especially, Kobe had too significant of an advantage to ignore.

And the Duncan/LeBron Finals argument is just painfully devoid of logic or reason. Duncan was the colossal favorite their first go round with a massive disparity of talent at his advantage. Don't get it twisted, LeBron was absolutely atrocious in those Finals, and Duncan's presence in the paint played a key role in hindering LeBron attacking the rim. But he was not exactly lighting the world on fire in those Finals offensively, averaging 18 ppg on 21 shots on 48%TS. He did outplay LeBron in that series, but LeBron in his wildest dreams could never get away with having a Finals that woefully inept offensively and not only still win the series, but win in a SWEEP Just for reference LeBron averaged those scoring numbers in 2011 and that's considered the worst series of all time by numerous people.

In 2014 yes the Spurs pushed Miami's shit in, but that doesn't mean individually Duncan did that to LeBron. And I don't wanna delve too far into the numbers to try to knock Duncan, he did exactly what was asked of him and had a nice series considered his age. But I can't pretend a 38 year old putting up role player production was outplaying a guy who nearly doubled his ppg average in the same series, and who unlike Duncan was tasked with shouldering his teams scoring load. It's frankly just an asinine comparison to make, you would look ridiculous trying to claim Duncan was better individually than LeBron in 2014. Trust me, if LeBron averages 15 ppg in the Finals 2 years from now I guarantee people won't even give him credit for the title

So look, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I feel you rely WAY too heavily on team results to reach the conclusions that you do, and that's frankly all you used in your analysis, h2h team record and titles. The truth is you won't find even 10% of rankings that don't have these guys ranked LeBron > Duncan > Kobe. I'm not advocating you fall in line with popular opinion, there's certainly things I don't agree with the consensus about, but you would have to acknowledge you'd be in the pretty extreme minority to have the ranking be different, especially having Kobe ranked ahead of both of them
    I don't blame lebron for that 2007 at all. That was obvious. However, he would've been 0 - 2 vs Spurs if it wasn't for Ray allen. I know, the Dereck Fisher shot happened, but it wasn't the same situation. I commend Duncan for being a true pro pro, the best team defense player of the 3, and he put up video game stats in his peak. However, when has Duncan been in a bad team? He always had a squad and never was able to repeat. All 3 have some valid points and you can make a case for any. But Kobe had to battle against tougher competition in the playoffs and thats a fact. Kobe had Shaq but Duncan always had a team and Lebron just jumps into a squad every 4 years. All 3 had longevity, all 3 played great defense. I really think Kobe would've had 1 or 2 more mvps without the fall from grace of the Colorado case. Another difference from lebron and Tim was having to waste his peak years with garbage teammates and a barrage of injuries after 2013. Things happen in the Nba and thats nobodys fault. But im sticking with Kobe as a player. Not the career as a whole

Serious playground baller

Duncan/Kobe can’t go wrong with either

Lebron

Wake us up when Lebron is capable of carrying a team to the playoff in the west
    We already witness this kid when playoff mode was activated

No Ad no win

It's LeBron and it's not particularly close. LeBron is currently #2 all time, while Duncan is ~8 and Kobe is anywhere from 10-12.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post

Wtf is this shit
    What do you mean? The poster made a good remark that was accurate.

Good bump

Some players just rise to the occasion, while others just plummet ....... (40%)

Lebron takes the easy W again

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    Good bump

Some players just rise to the occasion, while others just plummet ....... (40%)

Lebron takes the easy W again
    How so? The other two won 5 titles with only 1 or 2 losses in the finals. Lebron lost 6 times in the finals he is the FFOAT. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...n-is-the-FFOAT

5* thread btw, gonna need updates doe

It's been 2-3 Finals since Lebron's chart was made

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    What do you mean? The poster made a good remark that was accurate.
    A remark being accurate doesn’t make it profound

You can be having an interesting conversation with friends and then have someone comment on how the building you’re passing on your walk is brown. Yes, accurate remark Lenny.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    A remark being accurate doesn’t make it profound

You can be having an interesting conversation with friends and then have someone comment on how the building you’re passing on your walk is brown. Yes, accurate remark Lenny.
    But it was a profound remark.

NBA lottery pick

Glad to see Kobe and Duncan in the Hall of Fame now.

In order:
    1) Lebron
    2) Kobe
    3) Duncan

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp View Post
    Only rings that matter are the ones you win for the franchise that drafted you and Cavs got one to due to a suspension. Lebron is the greatest loser in the NBA as he led the USA in two bronze medals and needed Kobe to get him gold medals.
    Damn spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by kawhileonard2 View Post
    Damn spot on!
    Look, the dup just quoted his main!

Local High School Star Chick Stern's Avatar

Timmaye selfish as all get out. Only a 3 assist average.
    Why didn’t Timmy share the ball more!?