Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Default Re: I'm going to try and watch every Bulls playoff game from '90 to '98

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Through a game and a half Pippen has been the best player. I'm more than a halfway through this playoff run and in no way shape or form is Jordan carrying bums or carrying anything really. It's not a one man show. It's a really really good team.

Everytime I look the Bulls front court is lurking the other teams front court. Outscoring them by 20+ type murking.

Dumars was going at Jordan in the first half and scoring against him. Pippens defense has been great, very active.

Things can change, but I'm not exactly sure why people don't think of this as a true partnership ring so far through this many games. Sidekick ring is kind of insulting to what Pippen has done so far.

Ive been speaking more negatively on Jordan than I was assuming I would. I think he's the GOAT, but that doesn't mean my objectivity is compromised. The film is there for anyone to see.

Maybe Jordan explodes and carries them the rest of the way, I don't know. We'll see.
    Joe Dumars is one of the greatest defenders of all time, so its not like MJ would torch him.

But the beauty of the triangle is that MJ didn't have to do everything anymore and they took him off-ball, giving more people room to shine.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Things can change, but I'm not exactly sure why people don't think of this as a true partnership ring so far through this many games.
    wait you're jumping to these conclusions after only 2 series in their first run?

before they ever even won their first title?

your agenda has already been revealed.

Facts Are Misleading

I'm not jumping to any conclusions, I'm saying up to this point. I literally said things can change.

It's basically halfway through this series, so 1 and 1/2 left to go. What has transpired so far is 60 percent of this year's story. Not insignificant.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

I'm not jumping to any conclusions, I'm saying up to this point. I literally said things can change.

It's basically halfway through this series, so 1 and 1/2 left to go. What has transpired so far is 60 percent of this year's story. Not insignificant.
    Yea MJ went off that second half in Game 3. Thanks for letting me know it's on youtube, watching it now.

Facts Are Misleading

One thing that sticks out for this run is Pippen scores a lot off his own greatness. He's not one of these "assisted" scorers.

Bulls always try to get Cartwright going early

Thomas stepped in off a wide open three in game 3, if he did that today he would be ridiculed

Triangle doesn't provide the type of spacing we see today.

Isiah beat Will Purdue on a jump ball. His vert was exceptional even at 29/30 years old

Jordan deviated from the triangle in crunch time. It was more like we see from today's game, without all the 3 pters to space the floor properly. He closed this game and ultimately any chance for the Pistons out.

Pippen was again very good on offense and made some nice plays on defense, same with MJ. Specifically help defense.

Pippen actually had a couple turnovers that were credited to him but really was Horace's fault. If the ball hits you in the chest and hands on a post entry but you fumble it away, that's on you.

A lot of people played well for the Bulls though. Horace was efficient in his role, Cartwright was steady as always.

Onto game 4

Bulls always try to get Cartwright going early
    That was a common ploy to get those guys (Longley in the 2nd 3peat) touches early on to keep them engaged. They were marginal players but you needed their size for interior defense and rebounding.

What's your impressions on the Pistons this series? Do they look 'old' as is the common sentiment nowadays that Chicago beat them only once they had aged?

Facts Are Misleading

Lambier looks like a huge negative for them out there so maybe he was "old"

But Vinny was doing work. Aguirre was getting his. Thomas certainly doesn't look old from an athletic stand point, neither does Dumars.

I don't view Cart as a marginal player. Not in this playoff run. He is a guy who can get buckets in post isos quite regularly, has had full quarter spurts where he was absolutely dominant. This is not a marginal player to me.

Isiah wasnt 100% but he was 29/30. Dumars was 28 and had only been in the league 4-5 years at that point. No reason for either of those two to be athletically spent at that point in their careers. Ditto for Rodman who was 30 but started his career at 26. Laimbeer, Edwards, Microwave and Aguirre were the guys over 30.

Cartwright dominant? Ok I may need to review a couple of these games myself.

Facts Are Misleading

Game 1 of the '91 finals was excellent. I am blown away by how many post isos the Lakers run, that's all they do in half court sets.

Perkins and Worthy had their way with the Chicago defenders down there, Pippen - Grant - Cartwright...... didn't matter. Buckets all game.

Pippen couldn't get his shot falling all game but in the final 3 minutes of a tie game he was the one making the plays.

Jordan was unstoppable for the first 45 minutes. He was ultra impressive on both sides of the ball........BUT, in the final 3 minutes he did not score and he missed an "ice" the game shot to go up 4, and then missed the final shot to win. If social media existed back then he would have gotten blasted for this, just as LeBron has in this past. Especially a finals game.

Just because it is such a hot topic for Jordan, he was the primary defender on Magic this entire game and here is what Magic did against him as the primary defender:

-Fouled him 4 times on shooting attempts (Magic had a very favorable whistle)
    -1 3pt made
    -1 miss
    -2 TO
    -2 Assists

Magic got his, but it was not against Jordan as the primary defender. Jordan did a GREAT job against him.

Note: I did not count Magic assists where he dumped it into the post and Worthy/Perk/Vlade took their guy on a pure iso post move and scored. Magic was very content to bring the ball up and dump it into the post and watch fro the 3 pt line with Jordan on him.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    That was a common ploy to get those guys (Longley in the 2nd 3peat) touches early on to keep them engaged. They were marginal players but you needed their size for interior defense and rebounding.

What's your impressions on the Pistons this series? Do they look 'old' as is the common sentiment nowadays that Chicago beat them only once they had aged?
    Look to get opposition bigs some fouls cause Longley was going foul out before game ended anyway - also make defense respect & not double

Facts Are Misleading

MJ was the primary defender until 4 minutes in the first when he picked up his second foul. From there on out in game two is was Pippen as the primary defender.

Johnson really didn't have a problem with Pippen. It took him some extra effort to bring the ball up but it didn't disrupt them from getting into their offense (post ups) and generally speaking when Magic wanted to get by Pippen, he did.

The reason this game was comfortable in hand was four Bulls made like 35 shots and missed just 6. Cartwright, Paxton, MJ and Horace were incredibly efficient in this one. It wasn't because of Pippen switching on Magic, lol. Not at all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Game 2 was the only one where Pippen was the primary defender on Magic. Jordan goes back to being the primary defender for games 3, 4, and 5.

Serious playground baller

MJ was the primary defender until 4 minutes in the first when he picked up his second foul. From there on out in game two is was Pippen as the primary defender.

Johnson really didn't have a problem with Pippen. It took him some extra effort to bring the ball up but it didn't disrupt them from getting into their offense (post ups) and generally speaking when Magic wanted to get by Pippen, he did.

The reason this game was comfortable in hand was four Bulls made like 35 shots and missed just 6. Cartwright, Paxton, MJ and Horace were incredibly efficient in this one. It wasn't because of Pippen switching on Magic, lol. Not at all.
    Pippen directed Magic to help defense - Magic didn't get by him.

Facts Are Misleading

Im not talking about post ups where they force Magic baseline into help. Magic got by him plenty enough from the perimeter into the middle of the defense - this is not good defense. You don't let the best PG ever into the teeth of your defense.

Magic really played his ass off in the first Q of game 3. He controlled the game from the post. Beautiful to watch.

That forcing baseline double off of Magic posts ups wasn't such a good idea. Magic has dominated that strategy so far.

Facts Are Misleading

Pippen just switched on him and again got by him easily from the top of the key into the middle of the defense.

If you think that's good defense, or a "gameplan" I don't know what to say to that. It's not a conversation I'm willing to entertain.

One thing is for sure, Phil loves sending Magic baseline into help defense off iso post ups in the block.

So many guys have beautiful footwork in the post, Worthy is a hell of a post up player. He gave Pippen buckets to start this game.

I guess it fits the era. That was the game back then so that's the required skills needed for it.