Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: I'm going to try and watch every Bulls playoff game from '90 to '98

It'd be nice if you trolls would just leave.

Kobe Stan

Keep us posted OP. The game was definitely different in the 90's than now.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Jordan didn't have the mental burden many playmaker have. Being the primary ball handler and playmaker is a mental feat that gets overlooked and drains you of energy...

Jordan was only able to score like he did because he didn't do much else outside of that.

Meanwhile LeBron has been the primary ball handler, decision maker, defender, and scorer for his entire career for 17 straight years with no vacations in between.
    This is very true and undermentioned.

Bron would love to be able to pick his spots more, but he's been in many series' and finals where he just didnt have any great playmakers on his team. Its been the norm for him.

He had to take that extra duty on himself.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Should be a lot of fun. I've watched and re-watched that playoff run myself quite a few times. 1991 is peak MJ and his desire to win it all probably never greater. He sticks to the game-plan pretty much to a fault during that whole run. The game plan being 1) run the triangle!! 2) get teammates going early 3) look to score in the 2nd half. Of the 6 championship runs, his FGA/G is at its lowest in 1991. APG at its highest. His determination to "play the right way" definitely peaked with this playoff run.

This is also easily Pippen's best playoff run of the 6 championships. And it's easy to see why if you watch the games - it's his best perimeter-shooting postseason by far. He was always a very inconsistent shooter and the reason why his playoff efficiency generally ranged from mediocre to poor. But not in this one. He's just consistently nailing the outside shot.

Kobe Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy View Post
    Should be a lot of fun. I've watched and re-watched that playoff run myself quite a few times. 1991 is peak MJ and his desire to win it all probably never greater. He sticks to the game-plan pretty much to a fault during that whole run. The game plan being 1) run the triangle!! 2) get teammates going early 3) look to score in the 2nd half. Of the 6 championship runs, his FGA/G is at its lowest in 1991. APG at its highest. His determination to "play the right way" definitely peaked with this playoff run.

This is also easily Pippen's best playoff run of the 6 championships. And it's easy to see why if you watch the games - it's his best perimeter-shooting postseason by far. He was always a very inconsistent shooter and the reason why his playoff efficiency generally ranged from mediocre to poor. But not in this one. He's just consistently nailing the outside shot.
    I've always said that the 91-93 Bulls were better than the 96-98 Bulls. MJ and Pip was much better in 91-93 and they went up against better competition than the 96-98 teams.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

What you'll notice is that everyone on the team including the Kerr's and Will Perdue's of the world - everyone was "Jordan-ing" their matchup.. This is shown best by winning contribution, or win share, which measures how players perform compared to others at their minute-level

Kerr would post a 5+ win share while Ray Allen would get 3 on the Heat because Allen was playing too many minutes (30 min), while Kerr as comfy destroying the 15-minute guys.... perdue would come in for 3 minutes and get 2 rebounds and 1 dunk and go to the bench having destroyed his 3 minute counterpart on the opponent's bench..

the Bulls' minutes were managed well and everyone had the assassin mentality to dominate their matchup.. teammates never missed a shot when MJ passed to them for a game-winners - when it was their turn for a "jordan moment", MJ's fearlessness had rubbed off on them.. no scared donyell Marshalls or korvers or Hills lol

I'm considering watching some Playoff games in 91-93. Not all but some. It would be really interesting to see what opponents MJ played against and how MJ's teams performed (And course see MJ).

It would be pretty damn cool coming from a younger fan. Gonna get some perspective.

I tried but it's hard

Like playing PS4 for years and then plugging in your NES hoping it would look as good as you remember it, and quickly hit with the reality it's outdated garbage

Just facts

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    I tried but it's hard

Like playing PS4 for years and then plugging in your NES hoping it would look as good as you remember it, and quickly hit with the reality it's outdated garbage

Just facts
    What's "outdated garbage" is your troll posts. Forreal.

Also, 20 years later, younger fans arent gonna remember this shit no more.

Serious playground baller

Skip Bayless was courtside for many games & still doesn't know zone defense. Can watch every game but if you don't understand what's happening before you it's pointless exercise

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    What you'll notice is that everyone on the team including the Kerr's and Will Perdue's of the world - everyone was "Jordan-ing" their matchup.. This is shown best by winning contribution, or win share, which measures how players perform compared to others at their minute-level

Kerr would post a 5+ win share while Ray Allen would get 3 on the Heat because Allen was playing too many minutes (30 min), while Kerr as comfy destroying the 15-minute guys.... perdue would come in for 3 minutes and get 2 rebounds and 1 dunk and go to the bench having destroyed his 3 minute counterpart on the opponent's bench..

the Bulls' minutes were managed well and everyone had the assassin mentality to dominate their matchup.. teammates never missed a shot when MJ passed to them for a game-winners - when it was their turn for a "jordan moment", MJ's fearlessness had rubbed off on them.. no scared donyell Marshalls or korvers or Hills lol
    Teammates stats improved in 1994

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post
    Jordan didn't have the mental burden many playmaker have. Being the primary ball handler and playmaker is a mental feat that gets overlooked and drains you of energy...

Jordan was only able to score like he did because he didn't do much else outside of that.

Meanwhile LeBron has been the primary ball handler, decision maker, defender, and scorer for his entire career for 17 straight years with no vacations in between.
    More like jordan is confident in his skills. He knows he can win it all. And so he delegates roles to make it easier for him to carry the team. Meanwhile lebron knows hes not that good so hes expecting an L already. So might as well pad stats coz there will always be nerds who will cite stats when he loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Jordan doesn't have the ball in his hands much. I'd say BJ Armstrong and Pippen have the ball in their hands way more, not exactly creating for others but just running the offense.

Quite a different way Jordan is playing as compared to many stars today. Harden/LeBron have the ball in his hands more in half a quarter than Jordan an entire game if this pattern continues throughout the '90 playoff run.
    There's a good reason for that.

If Phil Jackson felt that Jordan having the ball in his hands all the time was the best way to win, then Jordan wouldve had the ball in his hands all the time.

But it couldn't have been more opposite.

Loughery let MJ do that, but it never worked in the playoffs. Collins turned MJ into a point guard where he did have the ball all the time and that didnt work either.

Jackson approached Collins and suggested that they have to find a way to get MJ to give up the ball more.

Collins (paraphrasing): "Good luck with that!"

Jackson stuck with it, though, installed the triangle, took the ball out of MJ's hands (much to MJ's chagrin), and the rings came rolling in.

In general, coaches feel quite comfortable with LeBron having the ball in his hands all of the time.

Harden, though, may need to be MJ'd for more success i.e. less may be more with him.

Facts Are Misleading

Game 3 was a fun game. Not so much for Ewing, for the Bulls in general.

Ewing has moments where he seems unstoppable, but at his core he was a face up and jump shooting big guy on offense with no real go to moves when the game was in balance. At least in this series.

Couple things. Jordan was a pest on defense, he really looks like a DPOY in this game. He was playing in the flow of the offense for all of the first half, bu t after Wilkins blocked him on a rare iso possession, he played much better on offense while still remaining in the flow of the offense.

One thing is clear, there's a reason why MJ is the best half court scorer of all time. His triple threat ability is second to none, it's why he didn't need to dribble a lot to score.

Pippen was a superstar on offense in the first half. He may have had 20 points alone in the first two Q's. Cooled off a bit in the second, but MJ was rolling for awhile there. That was the classic "on" mode for MJ.

Pippens on ball defense is concerning. I keep seeing all this goat perimeter defender stuff, but I charted him for no great individual defensive plays in man to man type situations and in fact had 5 negative marks against him where Kiki Vanderweagh was beating him clean to the hoop.

His off ball defense was superb though. And MJ's. It was really fun seeing those two play help defense.

Nobody else really stood out. The main driving force was Pippens first half on offense (with chip ins from MJ here and there on offense and Majorly on defense) and then Jordan got rolling and after that it was over.

This version of the Knicks were solid on defense, MJ took and made a lot of tough shots. But their offense was poor, led by Ewing.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Game 3 was a fun game. Not so much for Ewing, for the Bulls in general.

Ewing has moments where he seems unstoppable, but at his core he was a face up and jump shooting big guy on offense with no real go to moves when the game was in balance. At least in this series.

Couple things. Jordan was a pest on defense, he really looks like a DPOY in this game. He was playing in the flow of the offense for all of the first half, bu t after Wilkins blocked him on a rare iso possession, he played much better on offense while still remaining in the flow of the offense.

One thing is clear, there's a reason why MJ is the best half court scorer of all time. His triple threat ability is second to none, it's why he didn't need to dribble a lot to score.

Pippen was a superstar on offense in the first half. He may have had 20 points alone in the first two Q's. Cooled off a bit in the second, but MJ was rolling for awhile there. That was the classic "on" mode for MJ.

Pippens on ball defense is concerning. I keep seeing all this goat perimeter defender stuff, but I charted him for no great individual defensive plays in man to man type situations and in fact had 5 negative marks against him where Kiki Vanderweagh was beating him clean to the hoop.

His off ball defense was superb though. And MJ's. It was really fun seeing those two play help defense.

Nobody else really stood out. The main driving force was Pippens first half on offense (with chip ins from MJ here and there on offense and Majorly on defense) and then Jordan got rolling and after that it was over.

This version of the Knicks were solid on defense, MJ took and made a lot of tough shots. But their offense was poor, led by Ewing.
    Looking forward to reading your thoughts, whatever they are. I've watched most of these games many, many times (I have all of their playoff games from 86-98). I'm interesting in reading a fresh perspective from someone that's not a troll. I may not respond much but I will be reading.