Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: I'm going to try and watch every Bulls playoff game from '90 to '98

Jordan's defensive impact has always been underrated because his offensive game was so spectacular.

The Bulls were the no.1 D in the NBA in 97-98 while Pippen was out.

Even more astonishing than that though is the fact that at age 38, Jordan took the 2nd worst defensive team in the NBA in the Wizards, and with no other significant roster addition turned them into the 6th best defensive team before tearing his knee and requiring surgery unfortunately.

But that turn around defensively is insane.

Dunking on everybody in the park 2ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Jordan's defensive impact has always been underrated because his offensive game was so spectacular.

Even more astonishing than that though is the fact that at age 38, Jordan took the 2nd worst defensive team in the NBA in the Wizards, and with no other significant roster addition turned them into the 6th best defensive team before tearing his knee and requiring surgery unfortunately.

Fact. It was MJ’s GOAT 2-way play kept the bulls from just being a borderline playoff team and instead being a 3-Peat team.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    but overall...... He's WAY more important on offense.
    What you mean is Pippen's offense is better than his defense during this playoff run.

Because of course, good offense is always more important for the individual player. Pippen could be the GOAT defender and he'd still be way more valuable on the other end of the floor for the Bulls. Much easier to replace good D than good O.

Jordan was up to his usual defensive ability in the first half, to me there is no question who the better on ball defender is between the two RIGHT NOW between him and Pippen. However he did have bad moments on defense in the second half.
    No surprises here. MJ being Chicago's best defender was the consensus back then too during the 1st 3peat.

He missed 3 free throws in the final 2 minutes of the game and ultimately he was the reason they were down by 1 point in the final posession.
    MJ wasn't as foolproof at the line as someone with his mental toughness and clutch rep would make you think. I've seen him miss late-game free throws quite a few times too.

btw, MJ had 46 points in this game despite injuring his knee in the 2nd qtr and playing hobbled the rest of the game. That's the biggest takeaway from this game. Yet no mention of it in your recap.....

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Game 2 Vs Philly was the first game of this run where I thought Jordans defense was suspect. He had a rough stretch in the first half. He had some some individual plays here and there but overall it wasn't good in that end.

Horace was the big catalyst in the clutch in this one, with Pippen chipping in. Jordan was really a non factor in the last 3-4 minutes oft his game, beside a nice defensive play. Horace got some back breaking Offensive rebounds.

Pippens defense was also poor in this one individually. Barkley got whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted in iso coverage. They doubled quite often. Barkley settled for jumpers in crunch time for this one.

Paxton and Purdue were very solid in this one too.
    Any thoughts on team play / strategy?

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

But in playoffs Pippen & Harper doing heavy lifting to allow Jordan to rest

Facts Are Misleading

I know it's 6 games into their first playoff title run, but Pippen hasn't been doing any heavy lifting on defense. Onto game 4 of the ECSF

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    Any thoughts on team play / strategy?
    This era was all about getting it into the post. Neither of the three teams I've seen in 91 have run many pick and rolls or perimeter ISOs.

Bulls doubled Barkley a lot on the wing post this series. Sidenote, Barkley is one of the very best two foot jumpers in NBA history. So springy but powerful.

Facts Are Misleading

Horace getting chewed out by Phil "You pass the ****ing ball. That's your job"

Horace walks away to bench like a pissed off kid who didn't get his way.

One of these Philly games I remember Scottie starting the game 7 for 7 or something like that. I'm thinking it was game 5 because they were at home and you're up to game 3 or 4 now OP?( which would be in Philly).

Decent playground baller

Jordan's M.O. was to always lay low for the first half and get teammates involved then proceed to take over the games.

Decent playground baller

barkley may have been the most doubled team player in nba history not named shaq. bulls doubled and tripled him every time. And not with losers either, he was scoring on pippen and grant like it was nothing.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

They were 4th in points allowed--not sure where the #1 figure comes from (is the D rating for then available? Points allowed data is available through 35 games). The defense did play better without Pippen, than with Pippen in 98', though (mainly due to Rodman temporarily stepping up, as the doc even showed).

The same thing happened when MJ retired. The Bulls defense improved in 94' from #7 to #6 and then improved again without Grant to #2 in 95'.

The Bulls fell from #1 in scoring in 97' to #18 in scoring while Pippen was out (-10 points). Their falloff offensively without Pippen was much greater than when they lost Jordan, which suggests his offense has always been underrated (which includes facilitating and making sure everyone stays involved, not just taking shots) because his defense was so spectacular.

Jordan was up to his usual defensive ability in the first half, to me there is no question who the better on ball defender is between the two RIGHT NOW between him and Pippen.
    Jordan was considered the better defender in the first threepeat, Pippen in the second. You are looking for something that didn't exist back then, especially in 91'. Pippen wasn't even all-D 1st team in 91' (he was 2nd).

But in playoffs Pippen & Harper doing heavy lifting to allow Jordan to rest
    In the second threepeat so he could conserve his energy for offense but MJ did a lot more on defense in the first threepeat.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 05-25-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Facts Are Misleading

Pippen is basically 13/13 and it's midway through the third Q. What a great game in a closeout situation.

Jordan was in jack mode in the first half. He wasnt hitting but still kept shooting.

Pippen still getting beat on defense.

Poor Barkley, besides Hawkins he has nobody. He is doing his best to keep them in it so far. Defensively hes actually solid too. I know ive seen plenty of his No D playing ways in comparison threads but I don't see that whatsoever in these playoffs. He's not an anchor type but that's alright. He's not a sieve. Actually a positive with his individual defense, he blocked Jordan in an ISO move and generally has stayed in front of him on the rare matchups.

This series wasn't won because of Jordan, the supporting cast of the Bulls really took it to the 76ers supporting cast and Jordans #2 was better than Philly's #2

Where are you watching these games? Are they available somewhere?

Facts Are Misleading

I've seen every game on YouTube