Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: "The Last Dance was a lie" - Jordan Rules author Sam Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    Yikes.

MJ did himself no favors with this doc.

He did amongst the casuals and even complete nobodies to basketball (this doc was trending in the netflix top 10 in many countries), but not amongst people watching and knowing ball.
    Or to his future business associates, after seeing how he threw his past associates under the bus for personal gain.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    Or to his future business associates, after seeing how he threw his past associates under the bus for personal gain.
    Oh noez, he can't hang out with ... uh ... Horace Grant now. Or Isiah Thomas. I'm sure MJ is devastated.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
    Yeah but Sam Smith is a accredited doctor apparently who was living up Jordan's ass, he knew for sure it wasn't food poisoning, lol.

Like even a trained doctor can't often tell the difference between food poisoning and a stomach flu, yet Sam Smith claims to be an authority on telling someone else what they're sick from? lol.
    These guys... I don't believe some clandestine guy sprinkled something in MJ's food to make him sick. But could he have eaten something that disagreed with him? Sure. Happens all the time. I got sick eating fresh strawberries once. A few years later, I got sick drinking egg nog. It took me 20 years to try egg nog again. It happens. It's really not that big a deal. I'm sure there are more important things Sam Smith can investigate than what exactly caused MJ to be sick...that is if he even thinks MJ was sick. Maybe everyone is lying, including MJ's mother and all his teammates.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 05-23-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    They'd probably send him a card for the extra publicity.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    These guys... I don't believe some clandestine guy sprinkled something in MJ's food to make him sick. But could he have eaten something that disagreed with him. Sure. Happens all the time. I got sick eating fresh strawberries once. A few years later, I got sick drinking egg nog. It took me 20 years to try egg nog again. It happens. It's really not that big a deal. I'm sure there are more important things Sam Smith can investigate than what exactly caused MJ to be sick...that is if he even thinks he was sick,. Maybe everyone is lying, including MJ's mother and all his teammates.
    He was clearly sick, ultimately I guess does it even matter what the source was, he played a game where it looked like he was on the verge of death and needed to be hooked up to an IV immediately after the game. That is unbelievable.

I remember reading at the time he shouldn't have been drinking Gatorade on the bench because it's a diuretic and actually made what he was going through worse? I don't know how true that is though.

I've had food poisoning before (I'm 99.9% sure of it) and the doctor straight up told me they really don't know if its food poisoning or stomach flu since I had some flu type symptoms also. Even trained doctors can't say 100%, there's not like test you take where it tells you.

Oh noez, he can't hang out with ... uh ... Horace Grant now. Or Isiah Thomas. I'm sure MJ is devastated.

This is Horace before he got triggered.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 05-23-2020 at 03:33 PM.

He was clearly sick, ultimately I guess does it even matter what the source was, he played a game where it looked like he was on the verge of death and needed to be hooked up to an IV immediately after the game. That is unbelievable.

I remember reading at the time he shouldn't have been drinking Gatorade on the bench because it's a diuretic and actually made what he was going through worse? I don't know how true that is though.

I've had food poisoning before (I'm 99.9% sure of it) and the doctor straight up told me they really don't know if its food poisoning or stomach flu since I had some flu type symptoms also. Even trained doctors can't say 100%, there's not like test you take where it tells you.
    True. You don't really know. All I know is I drank egg nog like a thousand times before but this time I got sick. My mind associated the sickness with the egg nog. For all I know, it may have been something else. Same with MJ. It doesn't matter. What matters is he was sick playing Game 5. The rest is just a distraction.

Sam Smith is just salty!

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    "There were several things in the documentary that I saw, I would know, that (Jordan) made up or he lied about," Smith said in an interview with Bonta, Steiny and Guru of 95.7 The Game. "They weren't major things, but it was like when a TV movie comes on and they say, 'This is based on a true story.' That's what that was. It was based on a true story."

Smith said the idea that players might reunite for one more season was hogwash, in so many words, and that the producers "had the outlines" of the events but the details were a bit murky.

He also said the infamous Pizza Game/Flu Game/Food Poisoning Game story — in which Jordan and his trainer alluded to a late-night snack potentially being poisoned — was "complete nonsense," adding that Jordan was certainly sick but it wasn't from the pizza (or a hangover).

The series wasn't without its flaws, and as Smith notes in the interview, the docuseries was a "Michael Jordan hagiography" more than it was a revelatory or investigative documentary surrounding the Jordan-era Bulls. Since its conclusion, Smith, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant and Pizza Hut employees have all either called into question Jordan's veracity or the portrayals of one another during the doc.

While the legend of Jordan certainly grew throughout "The Last Dance," maybe we are now further from the truth than we wanted to be.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...z1tvzucwl14lvo
    Ken Burns warned us. So did John Stockton.

Michael Jordan's ISH PR rep, er I mean Soundwave's most insane take yet is that people won't care about a LeBron documentary when we all know he's going to be watching it religiously when it comes out.

Saw a basketball once

If MJ wasn't hungover or had food poisoning, what was he sick of?

Maybe it was an ordinary flu, but if it was the flu why would MJ life about it in the documentary?

You don't lie about small stuff like that unless you're hiding something

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41 View Post
    What sucks is most NBA nerds will know this, but there are so many people who watch this and look at it as fact.
    Some people, for whatever reason, chose Michael Jordan as their false idol. They don't even care if he cheats and lies. They will still admire him no matter what. Most of them haven't watched many NBA games since MJ retired.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Michael Jordan's ISH PR rep, er I mean Soundwave's most insane take yet is that people won't care about a LeBron documentary when we all know he's going to be watching it religiously when it comes out.
    The funniest part will be the same people who treated this as gospel (as if Ken Burns or American Experience on PBS made it) will be the ones most critical of the credibility of LeBron's.

What specifically was rewritten? Sam Smith even admits most of the major points are on point, he just takes issue with some minor quibbles.

Michael Jordan has a right to tell things from his POV, every other major athlete has done so for their career, Jordan has remained largely quiet for 20 years, people want to hear his POV.
    For instance the Knicks series when they went down 0-2. The series said something along the lines of “Jordan woke up” and pretended like he came out and played like a god to prevent them from going down 0-3.
    That’s simply not true. MJ played like hot ass and Pip bailed him out. They never showed Jordan’s struggles as a player. Furthering the myth that he was some untouchable god on the court.

Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii View Post
    For instance the Knicks series when they went down 0-2. The series said something along the lines of “Jordan woke up” and pretended like he came out and played like a god to prevent them from going down 0-3.
    That’s simply not true. MJ played like hot ass and Pip bailed him out. They never showed Jordan’s struggles as a player. Furthering the myth that he was some untouchable god on the court.
    They don't lose game 2 if Pippen scores more than 17 and Jordan didn't have to drop 36. So your point is moot. Pippen is partly why they were in a 0-2 hole in the first place.

Game 3 was Jordan's worse game (3/18) but he went to the FT line, dropped 22 points and had 11 assists and 8 rebounds.

Then he dropped 54 on 60% shooting and Pippen dropped.....14......on (4/14) shooting.....

So Pippen played like complete dogshit and was literally carried. Hard. VERY hard. WAY harder than Pippen "carried" him.

Just stop the nonsense. Jordan is the untouchable GOAT, while other players in the top 10....or outside of it (let's use Lebron as an example) score 8 points in a Finals game.

Respect the GOAT