Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: don't confuse riotting with resisting and rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00 View Post
    Tunisia 2011 I heard they've been doing good since they got rid of the trabelsi family
    The Tunisian Revolution was not driven by looting and rioting. The Tunisian protestors were largely non-violent, the vast majority of the violence in this conflict was inflicted by govt security forces... ffs the Tunisian opposition leaders won a nobel peace prize for their actions

btw there were mass protests in Tunisia as recently as 2018, so its not like the revolution fixed everything

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Oof Nanners educating these fools as they feverishly search Wikipedia for another uprising to reference lol.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    The Tunisian Revolution was not driven by looting and rioting. The Tunisian protestors were largely non-violent, the vast majority of the violence in this conflict was inflicted by govt security forces... ffs the Tunisian opposition leaders won a nobel peace prize for their actions

btw there were mass protests in Tunisia as recently as 2018, so its not like the revolution fixed everything
    There were riots all over the country. The whole thing started off because a man set himself on fire out of protest. That's non-violent to you?

"Riots are the voices of the unheard."

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Oof Nanners educating these fools as they feverishly search Wikipedia for another uprising to reference lol.
    I don't have to wiki anything. I have magrebi friends who talk non stop about this stuff

Gtfoh

1789 the french revolution
    Spoken as someone who really knows little about the French Revolution. It took almost a 100 years after the revolution to have a stable government.

In those 100 years there was the First Republic which included Robespierre's Terror and mass executions, The Directory, Napoleon's First Empire, the return to a monarchy with the Bourbon Restoration, the 1830 Revolution, the Second Republic, the Second Empire, then the Third Republic at the end of the 19th century.
    Last edited by Phong; 05-30-2020 at 11:01 AM.

There were riots all over the country. The whole thing started off because a man set himself on fire out of protest. That's non-violent to you?

"Riots are the voices of the unheard."

self immolation does technically meet the dictionary definition of violence... but obviously inflicting violence upon yourself is entirely different from inflicting it upon others, and you would have to be utterly retarded to think self immolation is remotely comparable to looting/rioting.

when MLK said riots are the voices of the unheard, he wasnt endorsing rioting. Heres an excerpt from the same interview where he made the comment about riots that you have quoted here

KING: I will never change in my basic idea that non-violence is the most potent weapon available to the Negro in his struggle for freedom and justice. I think for the Negro to turn to violence would be both impractical and immoral.

MIKE WALLACE: There's an increasingly vocal minority who disagree totally with your tactics, Dr. King.

KING: There's no doubt about that. I will agree that there is a group in the Negro community advocating violence now. I happen to feel that this group represents a numerical minority. Surveys have revealed this. The vast majority of Negroes still feel that the best way to deal with the dilemma that we face in this country is through non-violent resistance, and I don't think this vocal group will be able to make a real dent in the Negro community in terms of swaying 22 million Negroes to this particular point of view. And I contend that the cry of "black power" is, at bottom, a reaction to the reluctance of white power to make the kind of changes necessary to make justice a reality for the Negro. I think that we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And, what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

WALLACE: How many summers like this do you imagine that we can expect?

KING: Well, I would say this: we don't have long. The mood of the Negro community now is one of urgency, one of saying that we aren't going to wait. That we've got to have our freedom. We've waited too long. So that I would say that every summer we're going to have this kind of vigorous protest. My hope is that it will be non-violent. I would hope that we can avoid riots because riots are self-defeating and socially destructive. I would hope that we can avoid riots, but that we would be as militant and as determined next summer and through the winter as we have been this summer.

Cali Love

Setting buildings on fire is somehow worse than setting yourself on fire? Spare me with the technicalities and definitions in the dictionary

There is also a crowd out there thats peacefully protesting and cleaning up the garbage left over from the looters. Thought i'd bring that up.

Nobody in here is endorsing riots but one has to understand a riot is a reaction to what happened. And from my perspective an understandable one. That cop should be trialed and sent to jail.

Oops Nanners having to bring context into that partial MLK quote.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    Spoken as someone who really knows little about the French Revolution. It took almost a 100 years after the revolution to have a stable government.

In those 100 years there was the First Republic which included Robespierre's Terror and mass executions, The Directory, Napoleon's First Empire, the return to a monarchy with the Bourbon Restoration, the 1830 Revolution, the Second Republic, the Second Empire, then the Third Republic at the end of the 19th century.
    Revolution doesn't happen in one day.

Revolution doesn't happen in one day.

The revolution turned even more violent and oppressive than the monarchy it destroyed.

Cali Love

I think that we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And, what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years.

Cali Love

The revolution turned even more violent and oppressive than the monarchy it destroyed.
    Yeah the french revolution was a violent one. Thanks, you made my point.

Yeah the french revolution was a violent one. Thanks, you made my point.
    Which led to nothing but the end of the monarchy and right into the Reign of Terror..lol

Cali Love

Which led to nothing but the end of the monarchy and right into the Reign of Terror..lol
    The reign of terror was a period within the french revolution, smartass.

The reign of terror was a period within the french revolution, smartass.
    Followed by what? I already mentioned it but you can search on Wikipedia.