Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default How can today's player be more skilled if they only take 2 shot types? (3's, layups)

Previous eras were better at all those contested shots in 2-point range - that's a huge part of the game to be better at - an infinite number of moves/shots

And today's game avoids contested shots, whereas that was the EXPECTATION in previous eras that lacked spacing..
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-30-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Good college starter ELITEpower23's Avatar

Default Re: How can today's player be more skilled if they only take 2 shot types? (3's, layu

1-9

Default Re: How can today's player be more skilled if they only take 2 shot types? (3's, layu

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEpower23 View Post
    1-9
    This

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Previous eras were better at all those contested shots in 2-point range - that's a huge part of the game to be better at - an infinite number of moves/shots

And today's game avoids contested shots, whereas that was the EXPECTATION in previous eras that lacked spacing..
    Layups and 15 footers versus layups and 30 footers.

What's your point again?

But, yeah, in the past they stayed closer to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Layups and 15 footers versus layups and 30 footers.

What's your point again?

But, yeah, in the past they stayed closer to the rim.
    Most threes are stand-still shots

They aren't floaters, leaners, hooks, double-pumps, bank shots or the many different kinds of 2-point shots taken... No dream-shakes or winshield wiper moves from three-point land

Most importantly, the middle of the floor was congested in previous eras, so all these moves/shots were contested, while today's shots are open due to spacing... So previous eras were better at all those contested shots types in 2-point range - that's a huge part of the game to be better at... It's real basketball (not gimmicky 3's and layups open-shot strategy)

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post

its.just an illusion. They just basically shoot more threes which people in this era think means more skill. They especially think bigs are more skilled because they see them shooting the three and handling the ball more on the perimeter. What they ignore is that these bigs are trash now in the post and mid range. To me its no difference in skill its just different skill now. Both were great in their own way.

This actually partly makes sense. I am sick and tired of watching players getting ran off the three point line and instead of stepping into an easy open midrange pullup they go all the way for a contested shot in the paint.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Generally speaking players are better 3 point shooters today which inflate their efficiency compared to past players which can be misleading. Having higher efficiency because of more 3 point attempts and makes can make a present player seem more skilled than a 90’s player. However it’s a situation where the statistics don’t tell the entire story and a more in depth knowledge of the context of the game is needed to make a true evaluation when comparing players from each era.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

i would argue a move and shot like this...

involved more skill than you'll see from pretty much any era. ^^^ that's prime chris paul btw, probably the best defensive PG of all time behind jkidd.

MJ had an athleticism advantage. Reggie said it best. He used his "power" to move people to where he wanted them, and simply used his hops to get FT esque midrange looks.

Chef had to cook up some wild shit skillwise to pop off.

That's why he's the GOAT.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post

involved more skill than you'll see from pretty much any era. ^^^ that's prime chris paul btw, probably the best defensive PG of all time behind jkidd.

MJ had an athleticism advantage. Reggie said it best. He used his "power" to move people to where he wanted them, and simply used his hops to get FT esque midrange looks.

One of my favorite great Steph plays. Kerr’s reaction to the play is even better.

3-time NBA All-Star

that's a sick play by steph but id say it argues the opposite. Steph has to run around like crazy to get looks. Harden has to the same. Guys like mj and bird were much more efficient. Because of their skill they could as good of looks with much less effort. Again to me its an illusion. Its flashy and looks good but is it really more skill?

Nonsense

Go to any park and you'll see some shrimp out there dribbling around and jacking shots like that

To call that goat skill is preposterous.. it's playground skill - AND1 shit - it does require skill, but tons of guys dribble like that and take that exact shot on the playground

Any skilled ball-handler can execute that move and shot

I almost feel like doing the exact same dribble and shot and posting it.. I'm at a court right now.. maybe if I can find some defenders

Btw, his double-crossover there is garbage - he can't gather step off that move.. Am I the only guy in the world that gather-step off a double-crossover behind the back?... :

NEWSFLASH: LIVE DRIBBLING IS THE EASIEST SKILL IN THE GAME... Most AND1 guys have equal or better handle than Curry... My double-crossover is far superior

Anyone can dribble, whereas the toughest skill in the game is contested shot-making and post footwork
    Last edited by 3ball; 05-31-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEpower23 View Post
    1-9
    At least say something decent that would make you look like a normal poster and not just another dup made stanning the obvious player only because the previous ones got banished for sometime already.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    One of my favorite great Steph plays. Kerr’s reaction to the play is even better.
    Not iconic tho

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Winning>having skills. Coaches and players do what it takes to win. Even if its not easy on the eye. That is not players responsibility. And f you argue that players shoot threes better simply because of the modern rules then you are an idiot.
    Last edited by Akeem34TheDream; 06-01-2020 at 04:13 AM.