Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Give me 2 minutes of your time. Watch these plays from Kemp in 94.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Where were you going with this, Blaze? I see some shades of a few players. Yes a bit of Lebron( a slower version in the open court). Some Zion, the quick jump/2nd jump and the alley-oop target but more finesse( I dont think Kemp got quite as much air but hes taller and longer). Were you trying to go to the obvious picks or somewhere else?
    don't leave us hanging blaze, i want to know who you were thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Anyone in today's game with Kemp's agility and physique handles the ball... the idea that he would play center is preposterous - even if you took 94' Kemp as is, no coach would put agility like that at the 5 today, especially at the lower ranks (HS) where every coach would have him shooting threes and handling the ball... Only the most stick figure dudes or massive dudes play center today.. kemp wouldn't be one of them

the reason he looks so flashy at 6'9" is because that's guard coordination with big man size

Kemp would've been a guard in today's game because the dribbling movements get hard-wired in as a youngster, so he'd look fluid at a guard level (which he almost already did)
    As I said, whatever position he lines up at is semantics. You could line him up at the 2 if you so choose but hes going to play however he plays regardless of where you think he best fits because you have to list him somewhere. If I'm the coach I'm putting him on the floor and saying 'do what you do'. You're getting too caught up in the nitty gritty of 'positions'. Quite obviously Kemp would be a 'position-less' player so who cares where you officially list him. That's not an argument that needs a ton of energy.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Most athletic PF!

Aside from everybody that was already mentioned, I think he looks a little like AD as well. Can handle the ball very well, guard like coordination, very good rebounding and finishing at the rim.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Who cares when he was the best player on a (admittedly stacked) 63 win that season and completely shit the bed in the playoffs.

It's honestly hilarious how overrated Payton and Kemp are in general. Neither are top 50 players of all time. They were the two best players on two 60+ win teams an couple near it, but it wasn't about them. It was about the overall talent. These are teams that had Hersey Hawkins, Detlef Shremph, and Nate Mcmillan, but yeah, let's just talk about Kemp and Payton. One is a athlete marvel (and a complete knucklehead) and one is a pretty good pg who plays great defense. Let's all get in circle jerk for them and forget that the their teammates were good as hell and...well...they were the leader two big shits right? Well, they led the the Sonics to first round defeats as a 63 win team and 59 team in b2b seasons. lmfao. History doesn't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    It's honestly hilarious how overrated Payton and Kemp are in general. Neither are top 50 players of all time. They were the two best players on two 60+ win teams an couple near it, but it wasn't about them. It was about the overall talent. These are teams that had Hersey Hawkins, Detlef Shremph, and Nate Mcmillan, but yeah, let's just talk about Kemp and Payton. One is a athlete marvel (and a complete knucklehead) and one is a pretty good pg who plays great defense. Let's all get in circle jerk for them and forget that the their teammates were good as hell and...well...they were the leader two big shits right? Well, they led the the Sonics to first round defeats as a 63 win team and 59 team in b2b seasons. lmfao. History doesn't lie.
    That's not what this thread is about loser

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    That's not what this thread is about loser
    Very observational post as usual. You are very good at this? Just throwing out attacks at everyone else without saying shit? I've started to notice about this stupid alt you have now. These busboys may put of with your stupid shit, but I won't.

Very observational post as usual. You are very good at this? Just throwing out attacks at everyone else without saying shit? I've started to notice about this stupid alt you have now. These busboys may put of with your stupid shit, but I won't.
    Rent free. Nobody asked you and If someone wants your take on the 90s Sonics, they know where to find you. At the aa meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    poor mans? Are you on crack bruh. He was as athletic but longer and had a better jumper.
    Are you retarded?

Of course he's a poor mans Zion.

Zion will absolutely crush Kemp, any version.

Zion was the first name that came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro View Post
    Aside from everybody that was already mentioned, I think he looks a little like AD as well. Can handle the ball very well, guard like coordination, very good rebounding and finishing at the rim.
    nothing alike at all

go about their scoring in completely different ways and strengths

thats literally the only thing that dummie does

never made a single informative post in his life lol

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

It was mostly Giannis but less stiff. A lot of people like him who had bigman size seem natural centers today but more than maybe ever....the NBA wants to keep the ball in the hands of the best players. The NBA used to play through bigs but they didnt have them do everything. Now we will just give the ball to a a guy even if hes 6'10'' and let him run the game. And its been made easier than ever because we dont acknowledge dribbling rules. Add the "zero" step, ignore that tall ball handlers have to carry to change direction, and give the offensive player hands off rules while letting them physically overpower people on drives and what you get....a league full of manufactured big guards. Magic was a big guard but the rules required him to defend on ball pressure by turning his back. Same for Steve Smith and others who followed him. Now?

You can make people with shaky handles like Giannis, or carry dependent handles like KD, or physical handfulls who get by you off strength and straight line speed like Lebron into legit ball handlers and playmakers. I always felt like Magic didnt have modern handles...but he was so experienced with people assuming they could just take it from him he was hard to bother because of how he protected the ball. Today?

You dont need handles. You need lax rules and physical advantages. A guy like Kemp could absolutely be a bit of a point forward now. Let that guy rebound and run the floor....not be expected to give the ball up at all?

Hes not Michael Jordan as 3ball said....but hes not what we remember Shawn Kemp being either.

Maybe instead of a huge wing hes more of a Bam/Draymond style point center with much more attacking?

I dont know. But I think we might see him as part of a whole new breed.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I gotta ask....

What does not being top 50 even matter?

Should only the top .012% of players of all time get considerable discussion and not the top .020?

I grant you that we pick and choose interesting people and skillsets to fawn over at times. Your Pistol Pete types get more talk than a guy like Dave Debusschere who was absolutely better if your goal was to win. And we still talk about Nique but nobody brings up Sidney Moncrief who accomplished more. My issue with those who have a problem with that.....why not bring up Sidney Moncrief yourself? Id have something to say about him.

Go make a topic on Vin Baker or Detlef. I made a topic on Eddie Johnson. But know what? People dont respond to topics on people they barely know or give a shit about. That doesnt bother me much...I will respond to whoever takes an interest. You wanna join me in that fine. But I feel like you kinda dont. So.....what we doing here?

Im talking to people about a guy who was fairly popular and has an enduring fanbase and interesting skillset.

Do I need to make a topic on Paul Westphal real quick for you to come ask why im posting about boring shit in? I'll do it for you. I will go post all my thoughts on Billy Owens right now. You know I will.

When you dont give a shit about it should I move on to Kelly Tripuka, Spencer Haywood, and Billy Cunningham or maybe say something about someone one or two people might actually have an opinion on?

A forum full of boring single minded people like me might have a lot of topics on lesser names. On this forum a real discussion on Otis Birdsong or Dolph Schayes is getting sleeping emojis if even that.

I'll do it anyway from time to time when I get in the mood but for the most part....ill stick to matters the people im talking to might care about.