Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Default Re: Gregg Popovich's powerful message on race

the basic reason is the widening of the class divide (that began as early as the 70s and really kicked into gear from early 90s onward), which drives more people into poverty and tends to hit certain minority groups even harder than it does the rest of us.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    Ethan Couch was 16, a minor. Patricia Spottedcrow was 25 and served 2 years.

I don't think you need to be told how sentencing differs for minors and adults.
    https://me.me/i/0001456d6e4a435196fb10e04ee0497b

https://www.leroylawpa.com/racial-bi...tencing-exist/

https://goblackcentral.com/wp-conten.../marissa-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard View Post
    I love when they purposefully misrepresent the cases.

That lady was in her estranged husband's house, went out of the house to retrieve a gun from her car, went back into the house to shoot at her husband.

No idiot would consider that self-defense.

The prosecutor offered her a plea-deal for a 3 years prison sentence. She refused, was convicted and got 20 years. She only served 3.
    Last edited by Phong; 06-06-2020 at 11:51 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Why would I have to get specific? You guys don't deviate in the stuff you say. Myself and five other posters frequently predict what you guys are going to say - and it definitely doesn't come from love in your hearts. And you know this.
    You are seriously pretending to not know the Kap situation versus the NFL. I know better. Just listen to Drew Brees apology - it makes everything clear.

No he got mobbed for faking ignorance of what Kap stood for. He thought he could rely on a fake ignorance for convenience.
    Some of them killed hundreds of Americans in War and had slaves. Why should we keep them?
    Some people take things differently no matter the intent.

Not going to take this any further with you other than I'm in agreement with you that police training and reform needs to happen. Unions need to be busted as well. They have too much power.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    the basic reason is the widening of the class divide (that began as early as the 70s and really kicked into gear from early 90s onward), which drives more people into poverty and tends to hit certain minority groups even harder than it does the rest of us.
    Overall wealth is up across every single quintile. Income inequality is a myth.

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Pop's speech trending worldwide, powerful man. powerful message

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Phong View Post
    I love when they purposefully misrepresent the cases.

No idiot would consider that self-defense. That lady was in her estranged husband's house, went out of the house to retrieve a gun from her car, went back into the house to shoot at her husband.
    There was domestic violence in her relationship perpetrated by her husband. She fired a warning shot and didn't try to kill him. One is obviously way worse than the other. Her biggest strike was that in Florida warning shots are illegal and aren't part of stand your ground. Its a joke of a state.

You are aware that Zimmerman profiled, followed and took the gun out of his car and approached Trayvon with the gun. She grabbed the gun in the heat of the moment. Zimmerman just in thought to capture the guys who always get away.

There was domestic violence in her relationship perpetrated by her husband. She fired a warning shot and didn't try to kill him. One is obviously way worse than the other. Her biggest strike was that in Florida warning shots are illegal and aren't part of stand your ground. Its a joke of a state.

You are aware that Zimmerman profiled, followed and took the gun out of his car and approached Trayvon with the gun. She grabbed the gun in the heat of the moment. Zimmerman just in thought to capture the guys who always get away.
    Are you seriously that stupid?

Going outside to retrieve a gun and coming back in to shoot her husband is not self defense. It doesn't matter if she had been victim of domestic violence in the past. She wasn't in any danger at the time. She went outside and came back with a gun. How can you call that "standing your ground"? How dumb can you be to make that argument?

As for Zimmerman, he already had his gun and shot Trayvon after the latter was physically assaulting him. That's self-defense.

The juries saw it that way as well.

If you think "warning shots" are a good idea, please never own a gun. You shoot to kill/incapacitate if you feel your life is under threat.

It was not certain who approached whom. There was evidence that Zimmerman had lost sight of Martin, the two encountered each other on a walkway as Zimmerman was returning to his vehicle, a physical struggle ensued, and at some point Martin began slamming Zimmerman's head against the pavement. Any details beyond that would be conjecture and the precise reason no conviction was achieved.

I'm not familiar with the Marissa Alexander case at all, but if she did in fact leave the husband inside the house to retrieve her gun and then returned to the house, that is 100% not self defense. I can't imagine that jury needed much time to deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Marissa Alexander case at all, but if she did in fact leave the husband inside the house to retrieve her gun and then returned to the house, that is 100% not self defense. I can't imagine that jury needed much time to deliberate.
    It took the jury 12 minutes to deliver the verdict.

Her biggest strike was that in Florida warning shots are illegal and aren't part of stand your ground. Its a joke of a state.
    Spoken as someone who really don't understand that case at all. It had nothing to do with so-called "warning shots".

Stand-your-ground laws remove the duty-to-retreat, but it doesn't give you the right to retreat, arm yourself and come back.

As for her sentence, it had nothing to do with race. She got the mandatory minimum. Use of a gun during the commission of a felony (aggravated assault) is 10 years. If the gun is discharged, it's 20 years.
    Last edited by Phong; 06-07-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Saw a basketball once

What about the tens or better hundreds of Millionen OP people that are brutally opressed in China Mr. Popovich? Yeah I know You Don t say anything agaonst that .

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    Ethan Couch, got 10 months probation for killing four people while driving on drugs and alcohol. Patricia Spottedcrow got 12 years after selling $31 of pot to a cop after she lost her home, then was arrested again for not being able to pay court fees while on parole.
    the difference wasnt race here, it was rich vs poor.

afluenza boy came from a rich and powerful family.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

popovich makes it all about white people and slavery. this is literally about police. i see tons of black and hispanic cops and theyve been in on most of the melees as well...

pop is being an emotional cuck.