Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cowboys QB Dak Prescott to sign franchise tag

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott will sign a team franchise tag worth $31.4 million after the weekend, reports ESPN.

Per ESPN, his record as a starter was just 8-8 last season, but they obviously love his passing ability (and more).

Default Re: Cowboys QB Dak Prescott to sign franchise tag

- Sunday, Jun 21, 2020 03:01 PM

Though a lucrative, long-term deal is still the goal, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is expected to sign his exclusive $31.4 million franchise tag tender on Monday, NFL Network's Jane Slater reported on Sunday, per sources informed of the situation.
    ESPN first reported the news.

As with all franchise tags, the two sides have until the July 15 deadline to agree on a long-term deal.
    While the future beyond this upcoming season will still need to be worked out, Prescott inking the tender means he's obligated to report to training camp on time and cannot hold out.
    Prescott played out his rookie contract this past season and has never missed a game, having started 64 in a row to begin his NFL career.
    The ever-reliable Prescott is a two-time Pro Bowler and hit career-highs in 2019 with 4,902 passing yards and 30 touchdowns.

Zeke & Dak guaranteed for 2020. That's good news to me.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Should have given him a contact LAST YEAR.

The longer we wait, the worse this is going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    Should have given him a contact LAST YEAR.

The longer we wait, the worse this is going to get.

Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey are both Free Agents next year... you could damn near sign both of them at the cost of Dak Prescott.

Jalen is probably looking for 5 years $100 mil.... could probably get Patrick Peterson for $15-17 mil a year.

This was the whole reason I wanted to get Jalen Hurts... think about the $35+ million we could spend elsewhere if we just had a serviceable QB capable of utilizing his weapons.

I like Dak Prescott, but 1 playoff win in 4 years does not earn you $35 million per year... let's see what he does his 5th year for $31.4 and if he gets us to where we want to go, then pay him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey are both Free Agents next year... you could damn near sign both of them at the cost of Dak Prescott.

Jalen is probably looking for 5 years $100 mil.... could probably get Patrick Peterson for $15-17 mil a year.

This was the whole reason I wanted to get Jalen Hurts... think about the $35+ million we could spend elsewhere if we just had a serviceable QB capable of utilizing his weapons.

I like Dak Prescott, but 1 playoff win in 4 years does not earn you $35 million per year... let's see what he does his 5th year for $31.4 and if he gets us to where we want to go, then pay him.
    It's the best starting 4 years a QB has ever had in our history...AND he has more wins in that time than anyone not named Brady.

Also, he clearly works his ass off and wants to be the best he possibly can...I love Hurts, but starting a new QB project would be a bad move for this team

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    It's the best starting 4 years a QB has ever had in our history...AND he has more wins in that time than anyone not named Brady.

Also, he clearly works his ass off and wants to be the best he possibly can...I love Hurts, but starting a new QB project would be a bad move for this team

Can we say with absolute confidence that we are not overrating Dak Prescott at $35 mil per year... or even $31.4? I think there is a lot of room for doubt.

This is a good deal though... I want to see Dak play for one more year before committing. See how he finally does without Garrett. See what the new coach thinks in his first year.

I mean... he's 0-2 in divisional games in 4 years, if he had just won one of those games I'm cool with $35... but since he didn't, no more than $30. It really comes down to that.

Get us to the NFC championship game this year... and I'm cool with $37, but here's the problem: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2021/

how do we afford it? We're broke in 2021. $172 is already spent and $209 is the limit. $36 mil in cap space w/o Dak on the 2021 roster.

Somebody will have to restructure and it will be awhile before we have to a big name free agent again.

I bet after sitting behind Dak for a year and learning the offense in 2020, Dalton would be thrilled to finish his Career @ 2 years for $15 million.

This team has some Diamonds, but I don't think Dak is necessarily the diamond we need to build around in this situation.

I say we get an elite playmaker on defense as well as an upgrade at Left Guard, and try Dalton in 21 & 22... rebuild in 23 if it doesn't work out.

defense will be the focus of 21' & 22' NFL draft, possibly upgrade TE. Based on the salary cap, that's the smart play.

If Dalton agreed to $7.5, you can't say Dak is in the ballpark of being a $30 million dollar upgrade over him considering the talent we have on offense.

Think about it, what would you rather have in 2021? Dalton with $10 mil extra at Left Guard and a top-5 CB (or pass rusher) on defense, or Dak.

Anyways... done deal for Dak in 2020. Maybe his last one here.

Dak Prescott put pen to paper on his exclusive franchise tag.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback signed the one-year tender worth $31.4 million on Monday, the team announced.

The move was expected after the team's virtual offseason ended. If Prescott planned to hold out beyond the spring program -- which the QB eschewed -- he wouldn't have signed the tender. The signing means Prescott will attend Mike McCarthy's first training camp in Dallas.

Both sides have until July 15 to work out a long-term contract, or Prescott will play 2020 on the franchise tag. The Cowboys could use the tag again next year if a multi-year pact isn't reached.

The Cowboys have used the franchise tag eight times since 1993 on six players (DeMarcus Lawrence and Anthony Spencer twice each), per NFL Research. Dallas worked out long-term deals in three of the previous seven instances (Lawrence, Dez Bryant and Ken Hamlin). Two of those three long-term deals were signed on the July 15 deadline (Bryant, Hamlin).

Prescott's signature on the franchise tender makes him the ninth of 14 tagged players to ink their one-year deals ahead of the July deadline -- A.J. Green, Chris Jones, Yannick Ngakoue, Shaquil Barrett and Justin Simmons are the remaining five.

This is bad...smh

Now if Dak has a tremendous year, we've lost him...he can test the open market and some random team will give him a fortune that we can't match

We really needed to sign him long term LAST YEAR...major blunder IMO

Jamal Adams.... would give a 1st & 3rd round pick. Just go all in for 2020.

This is a legit possibility and we should be all over it. Trade rumors back on.

lmao

PAY THIS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait

- Cut Tyrone Crawford ($9.1 mil)

- Restructure D-Law & Z-Martin's contracts (save $4 to $5 mil)

- current cap space goes from $10 mil to $20 mil

- Sign Jadeveon Clowney to 1 year $14 mil

- Trade 1st & 3rd for Jamal Adams ($3.6 mil in 2020, $9.8 mil in 2021)

Again I say... Jerry needs to get Clowney & Adams

all in for 2020