NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Why wasn't Kareem in attendance in the Lakers-Sixers '80 Finals matchup in game 6?

This is pretty random, and decided to post about it since I think most people here don't know about this, but an injured Kareem was not on the Lakers bench watching the game when the Lakers clinched the championship in 1980. I remember watching the game over a decade ago and remember Brent Musburger interviewing Kareem through satellite during half time and it seemed like Kareem was watching the game from his house. Maybe doctors told him to stay home and heal for a potential game 7? But either way, you would think your best player would be on the bench cheering you on, I honestly can't imagine a superstar player doing that today.

Another thought, imagine you, the MVP of the league, watching your team win the title on TV and not even be there in person to celebrate, that must be a weird feeling.

Default Re: Why wasn't Kareem in attendance in the Lakers-Sixers '80 Finals matchup in game 6

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    This is pretty random, and decided to post about it since I think most people here don't know about this, but an injured Kareem was not on the Lakers bench watching the game when the Lakers clinched the championship in 1980. I remember watching the game over a decade ago and remember Brent Musburger interviewing Kareem through satellite during half time and it seemed like Kareem was watching the game from his house. Maybe doctors told him to stay home and heal for a potential game 7? But either way, you would think your best player would be on the bench cheering you on, I honestly can't imagine a superstar player doing that today.

Another thought, imagine you, the MVP of the league, watching your team win the title on TV and not even be there in person to celebrate, that must be a weird feeling.
    Game six was in Phillly right? Flying would have been bad for his ankle I'm assuming.

Decent playground baller

Default Re: Why wasn't Kareem in attendance in the Lakers-Sixers '80 Finals matchup in game 6

There was concern about his ankle and the flight.

And NOBODY thought the Sixers were going to lose at home with Kareem out, so a game 7 was seen as a gimme.

The good old days when CBS refused to show it live, and on top of it ran a Columbo and Kolchak one-hour episode for late night, so we got the replay well after midnight...

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

From what I remember game 5 was in LA and when Kareem hurt his ankle with a bad sprain, he came back in the game and played great, ending up with 40 points and was key to the LA win. The thinking was to keep the weight off of the ankle and keep it elevated and rest, hoping he could play in game 7 that would be back in LA. Game 6 was in Philly and everybody, including the sixers thought game 6 would be a Philly win, so Kareem stayed in LA. With Magic pushing the ball up court and LA running , they had Philly on their heels. Magic with 42 points and "Jamaal" with his career high 37 stunned them. Jim Chones held Dawkins to 14 points and Magic was 14 of 14 from the free throw line. This game was a perfect example of "do not take anything for granted, you still have to play the game" and was a real shock to the sixer fans.

Decent playground baller

Yet another of the fiasco losses that the Sixers of Doc's Era inflicted on fans.

Because he was an absolutely awful team mate and even worse human being.

Vindictive, jealous and petty as they come. Ask Bill Walton about that.

I can see ‘Cap’ not wanting to support his team winning without him. Definitely moved him down some lists with them playing better without him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

kareem lacked big time intangibles... he was a sour puss, BLM, malcontent type of guy.

who the hell changes their name in the middle of their life to an islamic one lmao... the slave trade out of africa was BOOMING in the middle east as well.

there's a reason he went broke in the 70s and didnt win shit like he should have. The stats dont tell the whole story.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    kareem lacked big time intangibles... he was a sour puss, BLM, malcontent type of guy.

who the hell changes their name in the middle of their life to an islamic one lmao... the slave trade out of africa was BOOMING in the middle east as well.

there's a reason he went broke in the 70s and didnt win shit like he should have. The stats dont tell the whole story.
    Wow, a bigot too...

Decent playground baller

Sorry you missed the chance to ask for his autograph back in the 70s.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    Wow, a bigot too...
    how so?

Both flying and casts raise the chances for blood clots.