Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I'm looking at historical rankings of U.S. Presidents and Obama...

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    I agree, they lived at a ridiculous pace in Washington's era. No way is dude putting up those stats today. Decent hook shot, but his moves were pretty limited overall.

Modern politicians are SOFT. Washington would have 90% approval rating in today's era.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post

Modern politicians are SOFT. Washington would have 90% approval rating in today's era.
    No way dude. Washington had it easy not having to deal with the media. If he did something dumb, most of the country never even heard about it. Nowadays, if a politician sneezes someone will tweet about it. He’d probably be a plumber today tbh.

The nation only had 13 states when Washington was elected. Not to mention it was the segregation era.

The competition back then was a joke.

It's impossible to rank Presidents because people are only aware of superficial matters that they only look at through their fanboy eyes and are unaware of the behind the scenes. Top secret things, the maneuvering through agendas of hundreds of different individuals.

A President could had prevented 911 or an equivalent event, and no one would ever know it, or even begin to appreciate because they can't relate to such horrors. There are thousands of different possible scenarios that goes beyond saving lives.

Lets say Trump refuses to use military power that will kill lots of civilian people in another country, because he rather negotiate where he usually gets the upper hand. Too simplistic of an example because there so much more varied things that goes on behind the scene that the public will never know about, and using military power is such a common thing. But it's an easy to follow example. Lets say he refuses to do that because he has a high people IQ and can understand that decades from now people in that country will get revenge. Just from that talent and understanding he just prevented the maiming of tens, maybe even millions of people, from multiple countries, ruining economies, and no one will ever know. Where as a McCain or a Hillary would had led to the opposite.

So who's the greatest among them under Uncle Sam's federalism?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    No way dude. Washington had it easy not having to deal with the media. If he did something dumb, most of the country never even heard about it. Nowadays, if a politician sneezes someone will tweet about it. He’d probably be a plumber today tbh.
    Washington would make Bloomberg News his bitch. Dude was catching bodies left and right in the 1700s, Fox couldn't guard him.

Washington would make Bloomberg News his bitch. Dude was catching bodies left and right in the 1700s, Fox couldn't guard him.
    Washington was NOTORIOUS for struggling against elite media coverage (and when I say "elite" I mean elite for the era). He'd be completely shut down by the media today.

Looks like Princeton University is dropping the name Woodrow Wilson from one of their buildings because they deem Woodrow Wilson was a racist

I mean every single president before Johnson/Civil rights could be deemed a racist so idk what the goal is... Pretty stupid if you ask me but w/e

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Looks like Princeton University is dropping the name Woodrow Wilson from one of their buildings because they deem Woodrow Wilson was a racist

I mean every single president before Johnson/Civil rights could be deemed a racist so idk what the goal is... Pretty stupid if you ask me but w/e

BEFORE Johnson?

You should read up on Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    BEFORE Johnson?

You should read up on Johnson.

I know. Civil Rights was not something he pushed willingly, but a lot of people don't know that. So I guess one could deem him racist too. You could deem every president as a racist if you dig deep enough

I know. Civil Rights was not something he pushed willingly, but a lot of people don't know that. So I guess one could deem him racist too. You could deem every president as a racist if you dig deep enough

Frankly you could deem every person on Earth a racist if you use modern popular criteria.

Every factor we know about someone informs our initial judgements. Tall or short, neat or messy, eyeglasses, clothing brands, voice, color, hobbies, preferences, emotions. Same with groups. Any general pattern we notice about groups informs our impression of the group, even if we’re able to put that aside as we get to know specific individuals. Even then, we still maintain the impression of the group in general.

Anything that can be noticed, humans INNATELY factor into their assessment of other people. It is an incontrovertible part of our makeup.

But apparently anyone who forgets to publicly pretend science and psychology arent a real thing if they hurt feelings... is a “racist.”

#ForScience

I think everything comes down to circumstances and how to manage and deal with them I.e. 911 and covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Whenever anyone claims Obama(or even Trump) are the worst ever ask them about Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan, or Warren Harding and see if they even have an opinion. Usually they wont.The people from our lives get that emotional attachment that makes some call them best or worst ever with no real evidence.Whatever you think of either Obama or Trump neither could do the damage some of those old presidents did.
    Trump is just as corrupt as Buchanan, likely more. This is a man who begs foreign countries to help him get re-elected, and has no respect for the checks and balances of our government - firing anyone who questions or testifies against him. He's a man who didn't pay his contractors back when he was in the private sector. He's a man who refuses to put his assets in a blind trust and encourages foreign diplomats to stay in his hotels. He holds political events at Trump properties. Trump can't commit genocide like Andrew Johnson did - but he did directly approve of China's interment of Uighur dissidents and has stated multiple times that he wishes he could have journalists killed. It's not that Trump is a good guy who wouldn't take the same actions as Andrew Jackson - its more just he doesn't have the opportunity. This is a man who wanted to call the military on peaceful protestors exercising their constitutional rights. Buchanan fought to keep slavery - it's hard to compare that to Trump today. But, let's be real - if Trump was President back then he would have been fighting to keep slavery as well. He's a guy who fights for the wealthy and the powerful while harnessing white resentment to gain the support of the white working class.

Not to mention Trump's current reaction to the BLM protests or his handling of the coronavirus pandemic "I tell them to slow down testing, it makes me look bad." Trump is going down in history as one of the worst presidents of all time for sure. His only legislative accomplishment is tax cuts for corporations - he's done little else.

If nothing else is remembered about the man - people will remember that the US was the hardest struck country by a coronavirus and their President stood idly by acting like a spectator in his own government while screaming for people not to wear masks but requiring people around him and at his events to wear masks.
    Last edited by ThatCoolKid; 06-28-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Go read some Wilson quotes on race. He was absolutely racist. It's not questionable.

I remember being struck by that in high school. The man was so large-minded when it came to the United Nations (League of Nations) but also so racist.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCoolKid View Post
    Not to mention Trump's current reaction to the BLM protests or his handling of the coronavirus pandemic "I tell them to slow down testing, it makes me look bad." Trump is going down in history as one of the worst presidents of all time for sure. His only legislative accomplishment is tax cuts for corporations - he's done little else.
    Yea, if he loses re-election, it's hard to say he's leaving the job as a success, the way he has handled our current crisis has been atrocious,"Injecting Disinfectants Into your veins could cure coronavirus". And just the fact that he wants to slow down testing just shows how much of a narcissist he is, he would rather make himself look good instead of helping people with corona. Dude is so wrapped up in his own head. Dude is a textbook narcissist.