Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Good college starter BigShotBob's Avatar

Default Re: College Athletes being Paid

As a former football collegiate athlete I am actually split on this issue.

When I was in college I rarely had free time. Between classes, studying, practice (two a days), then you add weight training, study hall (mandatory study hall for athletes to catch us up around game time), tutoring (because you will fall behind), travel, I couldn't even walk off campus half of the time. Hell professional athletes have more free time.

It was like a full time job, or being in a minor league, without any of the pay or benefits. Dudes dropping out left and right trying to get a shot at the NFL, but I wised up before I got a serious injury (I hurt my back) and plus I had a daughter on the way and I couldn't blow providing a good life for an NFL pipe dream. So yes, a little compensation for my hard work would have been nice.

But on the other hand this could easily be abused. Pros argue about money and playing time, imagine what college students would do. Then you factor in agents and endorsements then now we're talking about paying and bribing high school students to go to a certain program (this already happens but it'll be even worse) then sports betting on college games since now we've introduced money into it and there are some many doors that this can open up for good or ill.

I think a flat amount for every college athlete regardless of their popularity would be a good start, and allowing them to accept endorsements from outside sources helps as long as it isn't dirty money (you know like what politicians accept from lobbyists).

Default Re: College Athletes being Paid

Quote Originally Posted by BigShotBob View Post
    As a former football collegiate athlete I am actually split on this issue.

When I was in college I rarely had free time. Between classes, studying, practice (two a days), then you add weight training, study hall (mandatory study hall for athletes to catch us up around game time), tutoring (because you will fall behind), travel, I couldn't even walk off campus half of the time. Hell professional athletes have more free time.

It was like a full time job, or being in a minor league, without any of the pay or benefits. Dudes dropping out left and right trying to get a shot at the NFL, but I wised up before I got a serious injury (I hurt my back) and plus I had a daughter on the way and I couldn't blow providing a good life for an NFL pipe dream. So yes, a little compensation for my hard work would have been nice.

But on the other hand this could easily be abused. Pros argue about money and playing time, imagine what college students would do. Then you factor in agents and endorsements then now we're talking about paying and bribing high school students to go to a certain program (this already happens but it'll be even worse) then sports betting on college games since now we've introduced money into it and there are some many doors that this can open up for good or ill.

I think a flat amount for every college athlete regardless of their popularity would be a good start, and allowing them to accept endorsements from outside sources helps as long as it isn't dirty money (you know like what politicians accept from lobbyists).
    My junior and senior year at Ohio University I stayed in a house, 3 of the guys that lived their were athletes on scholarship (2 football, 1 wrestler). All three of them dredded playing sports but had to to get school paid for.

They all said the same thing overworked and exhausted. Most of their down time was spent on PS3 because they rarely could go out and bar hop. Their college experience was wayyyy different than most, a real time job

Nevertheless all three had p*ssy flinging at them non stop, wild groupie love 24/7