Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Jerry West is one of the best finals players ever

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Imagine leading your team in scoring for 1 Finals

Cedric Maxwell, Jamaal Wilkes, Kawhi Leonard, Reggie Miller

Only four more times to catch Kareem at 5
    Kawhi has led a finals team in total BPM during three different years. Led a finals team in GmSc during two different years. All at the age of 27, that's outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    The better team almost always wins in basketball. Why is this a shock? The Lakers were losing to superior teams. People act like upsets happen all the time. Even MJ didn't win unless he had an equal or better team.
    0/8 though? How many times does he have to play Russell in order to figure him out for god sakes. Duncan beat Shaq/Kobe in 2003 when he had Stephen Jackson as his 2nd best player. If you're losing to different super teams every year, you may get a pass. Losing to the same guy over and over is inexcusable. West had year after year to figure out Bill Russell and he never could.

It was almost like it was a mental block for West to beat Celtics (in other words: choking).

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk View Post
    Wilt only did it once and Oscar never did. That's just how good the Celtics were.
    Did they have the supporting casts that West did? West had Wilt on his team in 1969 and still lost to aging Bill Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    Did they have the supporting casts that West did? West had Wilt on his team in 1969 and still lost to aging Bill Russell.
    And West averaged 38/7 those Finals and dropped a 40 point triple double in Game 7. What more do you expect one player to do to win a series?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    And West averaged 38/7 those Finals and dropped a 40 point triple double in Game 7. What more do you expect one player to do to win a series?
    I expect to actually win 1, that's all. He started out 0/8 and even lost with Wilt on his team. When he finally did win in 1972, he had an outstanding regular season but very poor playoffs (38% FG). All I'm saying is it seems like a Harden type resume in terms of playoff success. West is still respectable top 20-25 great. I would say prime Kawhi is a better overall player.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Not everyone can win rings putting up 13/6/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    Not everyone can win rings putting up 13/6/2.

In 2014 finals for three straight wins Kawhi averaged 24PPG on 68% FG vs the 2 time defending champions, including a close out game which West never had vs Celtics. Kawhi also had to guard LeBron and that was a bigger defense challenge then West ever had to guard.

I like to see Jerry West win 3 straight including a closeout game vs Celtics and shoot 68% FG or is he going to choke again? Hahahah

Jokic Stan

HBK still seems to think basketball is like Tennis. Yes, why couldn't this individual player just WIN in a team sport?

Of course when the individual in question is too good to really criticize, then all that's left is to act irrational.

I mean, why couldn't MJ just WIN when he put up 44/6/6 against the Celtics? What an idiot this MJ guy is.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    HBK still seems to think basketball is like Tennis. Yes, why couldn't this individual player just WIN in a team sport?

Of course when the individual in question is too good to really criticize, then all that's left is to act irrational.

I mean, why couldn't MJ just WIN when he put up 44/6/6 against the Celtics? What an idiot this MJ guy is.
    Jordan eventually had title runs and eventually figured out the pistons. How come Jerry could never figure out the Celtics? He never really showed he can lead a team to a title in dominating fashion, that's my only knock on him. Always finding ways to lose big series like Harden. 1972 was a good but not great run and the rest of his great runs he always lost. I said arguably top 20-25 goat, how high do you want him?

1969 finals: "jerry you can't win a regular season MVP or a finals MVP 0-6. We will give you this finals MVP to prop you up. You at least need that, we're trying to make money off ya"

Is that what happened?

So jerry west sounds like an old lbj in that aspect, except that he and his team went ringless in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    So jerry west sounds like an old lbj in that aspect, except that he and his team went ringless in the 60s.
    Yeah and when West finally won it, he didn't have an all time great run. If West had some reg season MVPS, the finals losses may be easier to swallow. He didn't even win 1 reg season MVP either.

Yeah and when West finally won it, he didn't have an all time great run. If West had some reg season MVPS, the finals losses may be easier to swallow. He didn't even win 1 reg season MVP either.
    Despite the loss, his performance there will always be dubbed as remarkable. And being the leading player in several categories ain't an ordinary feat at all you know but sadly, the league will unanimously crown the fmvp to the remarkable player of the winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Despite the loss, his performance there will always be dubbed as remarkable. And being the leading player in several categories ain't an ordinary feat at all you know but sadly, the league will unanimously crown the fmvp to the remarkable player of the winning team.
    It wasn't always because lack of help either. 1963 finals Baylor averaged 34/15/4 that's plenty of help.

I think if you think Jerry West is a top 10-15 GOAT, by default you have to believe Bill Russell is the #1 unanimous GOAT because Bill was always dominating Jerry.

It wasn't always because lack of help either. 1963 finals Baylor averaged 34/15/4 that's plenty of help.

I think if you think Jerry West is a top 10-15 GOAT, by default you have to believe Bill Russell is the #1 unanimous GOAT because Bill was always dominating Jerry.
    I don't know. I don't like the lakers but he also helped to lead that team to at least 5 finals appearances. And when i said leading player, i was talking about lebron james, who became one during his last championship season and in 2018 if I'm not mistaken.