Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Default Re: BleacherReport: Top Rivalries of the decade. LBJ and Warriors; MJ and...John Star

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post

The definition being used to manufacture rivals for MJ is very loose. Using that logic, almost anyone is a rival--no matter the relative ability of the player or team in question.
    My definition of rivalry is when 2 similar level players are competing against each other, directly or not, for the same thing. Magic/MJ (87-91) and Kobe/LeBron (06-10) were undoubtedly the 2 best players of the era we are discussing. Clearly chasing the title for league's best player and with a lot of fanfare around it to boot. All their match-ups felt like events. Both MJ and LeBron themselves were very vocal about who they were chasing. That to me is a rivalry.

Drexler was all-NBA 1st team and a MVP candidate exactly once--in 1992. He was compared to Jordan that year but that was basically it. People talk about Drexler like he was KD.
    Fair enough. I'm not saying it was a big rivalry. Just that they were considered rivals because they were the 2 best players at their position. And Drexler more than holds his own in most of those match-ups pre-1992 Finals. Even outplays him in some games.

The Sixers lost 4-1 each year. Rivalry? Using your definition, sure, but using that basically anything is.
    MJ/Barkley were 2 top 3 players who met 3 times in the playoffs in a 4 year span. Barkley even beat MJ out in the MVP race in 2 of those 4 years. They were definitely rivals.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 07-05-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: BleacherReport: Top Rivalries of the decade. LBJ and Warriors; MJ and...John Star

My definition of rivalry is when 2 similar level players are competing against each other, directly or not, for the same thing. Magic/MJ (87-91) and Kobe/LeBron (06-10) were undoubtedly the 2 best players of the era we are discussing. Clearly chasing the title for league's best player and with a lot of fanfare around it to boot
    Ultimately it was all hype. Regular season match ups that didn't matter. LeBron did a lot better than Kobe did in those and it didn't sway anyone--just drew big ratings.

Both MJ and LeBron themselves were very vocal about who they were chasing. That to me is a rivalry
    I can see that but I disagree. They were wanting to supersede the reigning best guy.That happens in every sport. It is never a rivalry solely on that basis. For instance, no one is calling Giannis a rival of LeBron or KD this year or last on those grounds. Was Mahomes considered a rival of Brady? There will always be a changing of the guard but unless they meet in the playoffs/compete for division titles (not a big deal in basketball but it is in other sports)/etc. is it ever considered a rivalry?

MJ/Barkley were 2 top 3 players who met 3 times in the playoffs in a 4 year span. Barkley even beat MJ out in the MVP race in 2 of those 4 years. They were definitely rivals.
    Maybe individually but in those series the Sixers had no chance. 2-8 for a reason. If the Suns and Bulls played several times then they would qualify but it happened only once.

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post

Good High School Starter Nashty's Avatar

You know it's weak era when DeMar Derozan wins 6 FMVPs.

Ultimately it was all hype. Regular season match ups that didn't matter. LeBron did a lot better than Kobe did in those and it didn't sway anyone--just drew big ratings.

I can see that but I disagree. They were wanting to supersede the reigning best guy.That happens in every sport. It is never a rivalry solely on that basis. For instance, no one is calling Giannis a rival of LeBron or KD this year or last on those grounds. Was Mahomes considered a rival of Brady? There will always be a changing of the guard but unless they meet in the playoffs/compete for division titles (not a big deal in basketball but it is in other sports)/etc. is it ever considered a rivalry?
    We obviously have different definitions of rivalry. I told you mine. 2 similar levels players going for the same thing - acknowledged by media, fans and the players themselves - is a rivalry for me. Magic vs. MJ and Kobe vs. LeBron were huge freaking deals in their era, despite limited to no playoff battles. They are certainly the 2 biggest player vs. player discussions of the last 30 years.

Maybe individually but in those series the Sixers had no chance. 2-8 for a reason. If the Suns and Bulls played several times then they would qualify but it happened only once.
    Individual is what we're discussing here right (MJ's top rivals). Barkley certainly qualifies. Similar-level individual player who met MJ numerous times in the playoffs.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Mike had no rivals after he demolished the Bad Boy Pistons, eviscerated Magic, sodomized Drexler, and curb stomped Barkley. No one and no team could present a challenge.

That was the problem.

And one of the major reasons why he was essentially forced to retire the first time beyond the death of his father.

You can’t hold it against somebody that they were so dumb and nobody could present a challenge LOL how is that viewed as a negative?

Quote Originally Posted by PoutinPippin View Post
    Mike had no rivals after he demolished the Bad Boy Pistons, eviscerated Magic, sodomized Drexler, and curb stomped Barkley. No one and no team could present a challenge.

That was the problem.

And one of the major reasons why he was essentially forced to retire the first time beyond the death of his father.

You can’t hold it against somebody that they were so dumb and nobody could present a challenge LOL how is that viewed as a negative?
    John Starks

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

I told you mine. 2 similar levels players going for the same thing - acknowledged by media, fans and the players themselves - is a rivalry for me
    Do you consider Barkley, Drexler, Malone similar to MJ's level?

Individual is what we're discussing here right (MJ's top rivals). Barkley certainly qualifies. Similar-level individual player who met MJ numerous times in the playoffs.
    The GOAT and the 20th GOAT are similar level (40th or so in Drexler's case)? I don't think so but subjective. It is interesting, though. If 1st and 20th are close then why are smaller differences magnified?

That is a stretch--so two great players, one great team and that is being called a rivalry. Manning vs. Brady as a rivalry because the teams were comparable. If Manning was on an 8-8 team it wouldn't have been the same thing.

Serious playground baller

Geez. People still talking about how everyone taking their turns beating LeBron down?

That’s the true Rivalry, who rape LeBron and his fans the hardest? Warrior or spurs or dirk?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    John Starks

Quote Originally Posted by PoutinPippin View Post

That was the problem.
    Exactly. People who worship MJ and haven't actually watched much basketball in the last 20 years forget how many scrubs were in the league in the 90s. Most over rated era in basketball history.

Quote Originally Posted by Docs Orders View Post
    Starks V Jordan
    #90sRivlaries

Do you consider Barkley, Drexler, Malone similar to MJ's level?
    For a few seasons, sure, why not? Barkley was top 3 for a 4 year stretch and beat MJ out in the MVP race twice during that span. Same goes for Malone for a couple of seasons. 2 great players going at each other in a particular season is just that - 2 great players going at each other. Their historical standing, which is a cumulative ranking based on one's entire body of work to begin with, isn't relevant to the battle at all. There could be 50 players separating 2 players on the ATG list and they could still be on each other's level for a season or 2. Kareem/Walton, Bird/Dr. J, Magic/Isiah, MJ/Drexler, Kobe/T-Mac, LeBron/KD were all considered rivals at some point. The worthiness of a rivalry isn't based on where someone ranks after retirement. That's totally irrelevant. You judge it based on where they stood at that particular moment.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 07-05-2020 at 10:37 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Jordan's rivalry was the Pistons, while Lebron's was a lot of guys since he was losing to many guys. It could be Dwight, KG, Dirk, Duncan, Kawhi, Steph, Durant to name a few.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nashty View Post
    You know it's weak era when DeMar Derozan wins 6 FMVPs.
    When did Demar Derozan win a title?