Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

  1. #16
    Serious playground baller baudkarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    That's a long time for a football contract, though. How many years before Mahomes is no longer the top paid player in the NFL? How many years before he's not even making average QB money?

  2. #17
    hugh mungus what? Nanners's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    9,582

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    Dak doesn't want an 8 year deal. He doesn't even want a 5 year deal. The sticking point in his negotiations with the Cowboys wasn't the money, it was the length of the contract. The Cowboys wanted a 5-year deal, Dak only wanted to sign for 4 years.
    That makes zero sense considering NFL contracts are not guaranteed... 4 vs 5 years is irrelevant, that 5th year would not be guaranteed so why would that be the sticking point?

    Every player worth half a damn renegotiates for a new contract once their guaranteed money runs out anyway

  3. #18
    5-time NBA All-Star eliteballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    11,708

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now


  4. #19
    Serious playground baller baudkarma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanners View Post
    That makes zero sense considering NFL contracts are not guaranteed... 4 vs 5 years is irrelevant, that 5th year would not be guaranteed so why would that be the sticking point?

    Every player worth half a damn renegotiates for a new contract once their guaranteed money runs out anyway
    The Cowboys want a five year deal. Dak only wants to sign for four years. Dak and the Cowboys both anticipate that league profits and QB salaries will continue to skyrocket. The Cowboys want to lock Dak up for as long as they can, and Dak wants to be a free agent as soon as possible, so that he can sign a new deal for significantly more money.

    If the Cowboys continue to insist on five years, they're going to lose Dak. They can franchise him for 2021, and then he's gone. Dak will be a 28 year old QB in the prime of his career and able to sign with any team he wants. Granted, he's not a Mahomes, not even close, but he's still pretty good, and some team that thinks they're only a good QB away from being a serious contender will throw a ton of money at him.

  5. #20
    Saw a basketball once
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    That's a long time for a football contract, though. How many years before Mahomes is no longer the top paid player in the NFL? How many years before he's not even making average QB money?
    These contracts are insane, but we probably won't see a QB of Mahomes' talent come through the league for a while.

  6. #21
    hugh mungus what? Nanners's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    9,582

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    The Cowboys want a five year deal. Dak only wants to sign for four years. Dak and the Cowboys both anticipate that league profits and QB salaries will continue to skyrocket. The Cowboys want to lock Dak up for as long as they can, and Dak wants to be a free agent as soon as possible, so that he can sign a new deal for significantly more money.

    If the Cowboys continue to insist on five years, they're going to lose Dak. They can franchise him for 2021, and then he's gone. Dak will be a 28 year old QB in the prime of his career and able to sign with any team he wants. Granted, he's not a Mahomes, not even close, but he's still pretty good, and some team that thinks they're only a good QB away from being a serious contender will throw a ton of money at him.
    I hear what you're saying... I just dont really think it makes much sense. Unless the Cowboys are offering him 5 years guaranteed, the difference between a 4 or 5 year contract (which would typically only have 2 or possibly 3 years of guaranteed money) is meaningless. How many QBs in NFL history have ever actually played out the last year of their contract?

    If a QB is good, they will always renegotiate for a new deal right when their guaranteed money runs out (which is usually 2-3 years for a max or near max QB deal)... if a QB is bad, a team just cuts them once the guaranteed money is over.

  7. #22
    I rule the local playground Gougou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Patrick Mahomes has all the money now

    Youngest player to win MVP, SB and SB MVP... deserves every penny man...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •