Default What would Rodman's trade value be if he was a model professional like Stockton?

He still has the antics but nothing too crazy to get him regularly suspended or alienate teammates and coaches. Would you trade a Miller, Vince, Carter or a Paul Pierce or any other multiple time allstar for him considering that you get a Goat level defender?

Might actually consider a trade for any of the aforementioned because I love his IQ on both ends.

Default Re: What would Rodman's trade value be if he was a model professional like Stockton?

He got traded to the Spurs for Sean Eliott the first time then got traded to the Bulls for Will Perdue after a few years in San Antonio.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: What would Rodman's trade value be if he was a model professional like Stockton?

I suppose it depends on what im trying to do and the rest of the team. So its close enough that either option is reasonable in cases. It isnt a cut and dry "Other guys..." thing. If you run the Houston Rockets obviously you take Rodman over a wing and let him play center even if its Pistons Rodman. Its close enough to consider the team. When theres a true blowout impact wise you dont even look at the team. Like....it doesnt matter who is on the team....you take Bird over Rodman. That group of guys a tier or two...or three down? Yea. You can take Rodman if the situation justifies it.

Id take him on the Bulls right now over most of those guys even if I really really wanna see what Reggie would do if I tell him he can take 12 threes a night.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

a big part of what makes rodman great is his antics. There what give him his superior trash talk and psychological game over opponents. and part of his high energy style.

Peak Rodman on a fast paced team like the Rockets would have been insane. Easy 20 rebounds a night while having the ability to defend 1-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    Peak Rodman on a fast paced team like the Rockets would have been insane. Easy 20 rebounds a night while having the ability to defend 1-5.
    Considering Rodman shot 3s occasionally back then, he’d probably have developed into a guy who regularly took them now and would be used as a stretch 5 for the Rockets. He’d do great on that team I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Considering Rodman shot 3s occasionally back then, he’d probably have developed into a guy who regularly took them now and would be used as a stretch 5 for the Rockets. He’d do great on that team I’m sure.
    He probably could if he wanted because he had a decent enough touch to begin with.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

San Antonio traded Sean Elliott (an all-star and the Spurs' second option in 93'), a 1st round pick, and a scrub for him before the 94' season. Detroit gave Rodman, a 2nd round pick, and a scrub in exchange.

This provides an idea of what his value was before he started dying his hair, dating Madonna, kicking cameramen, wearing wedding dresses, etc. He could be a piece to get a good team over the top but couldn't be a centerpiece of a playoff team or 2nd option on championship team like VC, Pierce, or Miller. He was the perfect fit for the Bulls but they had no player in that tier--but I suspect if San Antonio asked for Kukoc and Armstrong back for Rodman (if Rodman had trade value then, which he didn't for off court reasons) the Bulls would have done it, given the value of Rodman to a team with Jordan and Pippen.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-10-2020 at 11:53 AM.

FWIW, Rodman's trade value wound up being fairly similar to 95' Drexler's.

Portland traded Drexler, Tracy Murray for Otis Thorpe, a 1st round pick, and Marcelo Nicola (a foreign player Houston drafted with the 50th pick). Thorpe, like Elliott, was the other team's second best player. Portland received a pick whereas Detroit did a pick swap (favorable to Detroit as they got a 1st for a 2nd round pick). Murray led the league in three point shooting the prior year but was a third year player averaging 10 MPG then (he peaked at 16/4/2 the next year on the Raptors, also went 15/3/1 on a 42-40 team in 98'--so he became a useful player for a couple years).

The main difference is Portland got a 1st round pick while Detroit gave up a 2nd to get a 1st. Both Detroit, Portland got the other team's second best player back along with a non-rotation player being exchanged in both trades.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    He still has the antics but nothing too crazy to get him regularly suspended or alienate teammates and coaches. Would you trade a Miller, Vince, Carter or a Paul Pierce or any other multiple time allstar for him considering that you get a Goat level defender?

Might actually consider a trade for any of the aforementioned because I love his IQ on both ends.
    Bulls don't win championship - got him cheap due to his reputation. Nobody else was available to fill role he did

probably about 3/2 of what is was considering that he missed about 2/3 of his games as a Bull, but he was doing a better job of being a good teammate earlier in his career, which might seem ironic considering that he didn't really have his mother or father around

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    Bulls don't win championship - got him cheap due to his reputation. Nobody else was available to fill role he did
    It is an interesting counterfactual: what would they have to give up to get a player to fill the Grant/Rodman role if they didn't get Rodman for cheap? The player they signed to replace Grant was Larry Krystowiak . He got hurt, they tried Corie Blount. Krystowiak returned, got hurt again. Tried Dickey Simpkins. Finally Jackson gave up and used Kukoc at PF (a mismatch to defend--but a poor rebounder for his height and a PF).

We saw examples of the value a good PF has earlier. Rodman got an all-star/2nd option back for him, Thorpe and a 1st round pick were sent for Drexler. The Bulls traded Oakley for Cartwright.

The Bulls probably would have had to trade Kukoc. Jordan wouldn't allow Pippen to be traded. BJ was gone. Kukoc was the only trade chip they had. What kind of PF would they get for Kukoc? Probably a player of Kukoc's caliber but hardly a Rodman or Grant. No Kukoc, though, would mean losing your 3rd scorer and a point forward who could be the 2nd option when one of MJ or Pippen was resting as well as the lead playmaker when Pippen was. So even if they got, say, Oakley back the Bulls with Jordan, Pippen, Oakley with Longley as the 4th scorer (don't laugh--when Pippen was out in 98' Longley was their 3rd option)<<Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc.

The other route would be to win 55 games or so, lose to Orlando in the ECF and then try to sign a FA but by 97' MJ was making $30 million so I doubt they could afford to sign a quality PF (remember, Horace Grant was the 3rd highest paid player behind MJ and Ewing during this time frame--that's the cost of a player like him). They would have had to make a trade with free agency and the draft not being viable options.

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
    They needed a defensive anchor inside and I agree they wont win if they dont get anyone similar.

Someone hacked my post, and now I can't edit it.