Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Why doesn't David Robinson get more consideration for Defensive GOAT?

Team stats

89: Year before Robinson; 21-61, -7.45 SRS, 107.9 D rating (+0.1 relative to League average), 13th

90: Robinson Rookie; 56-26 (+35 wins), 3.58 SRS (11.03 SRS turnaround, 2nd best in history), 104.2 D rating (-3.9 LA, 4.0 turnaround relative to LA), 3rd (Lose All-NBA Defender Alvin Robertson, but still improve considerably on the defensive end with D-Rob.)

91: 55-27, 4.30 SRS, 103.3 D rating (-4.6 League Average), 1st D

92: 47-35, 2.81 SRS, 104.1 D rating (-4.1 LA), 1st , DPOY (D-Rob missed 14 games, look at the Spurs with and without him)
    -68 G played: 102.6 D rating, 70.4 Dreb%, .512 TS%, +4.7 MOV
    -14 G missed: 111.6 D rating (-9 D rating drop)

95: 62-20, 5.90 SRS, 105.4 D rating (-2.9 LA), 5th

96: 59-23, 5.97 SRS, 103.5 D rating (-4.1 LA), 3rd

1997(Season without D-Rob): 20-62 (39 win drop), -7.93 SRS (13.91 SRS drop), 112.3 D rating (+5.8 League Average), 29th (last in DRTG)

vs. Hakeem, 32 games (90-96):
    Robinson: 21.8 PPG, 47.8 FG%, .545 TS%, 11.9 Reb, 3.3 AST, 5.72 STL/BLK
    Olajuwon: 24.4 PPG, 44.9 FG%, .498 TS%, 12.1 Reb, 3.3 AST, 5.50 STL/BLK

vs. Ewing, 13 games (90-96):
    DRob: 25.8 PPG, 53.2 FG%, .576 TS%, 9.9 Reb, 3.2 AST, 5.00 STL/BLK
    Ewing: 22.4 PPG, 43.3 FG%, .463 TS%, 11.1 Reb, 2.9 AST, 4.23 STL/BLK

Default Re: Why doesn't David Robinson get more consideration for Defensive GOAT?

Do you also have the stats from games where he guarded against shaq? Just for reference.

Tia

Default Re: Why doesn't David Robinson get more consideration for Defensive GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Do you also have the stats from games where he guarded against shaq? Just for reference.

Tia
    https://www.basketball-reference.com....fcgi?id=0c27O

Shaq without a doubt usually got the best of D-Rob.

NBA sixth man of the year

1. Tim Duncan
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Scottie Pippen
    5. Kawhi
    6. David Robinson
    7. Hakeem
    8. Jason Kidd
    9. Kareem
    10. Dwight Howard

Drob wouldn't even make my top 5 because he lacked playoff success and dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    1. Tim Duncan
    2. Bill Russell
    3. Wilt
    4. Scottie Pippen
    5. Kawhi
    6. David Robinson
    7. Hakeem
    8. Jason Kidd
    9. Kareem
    10. Dwight Howard

Drob wouldn't even make my top 5 because he lacked playoff success and dominance.
    Are you BronBron23?

National High School Star

Because of something something Olajuwon blah blah

I thought he's widely considered one of the defensive GOAT?

College star

I think in large part due to Hakeem and Tim Duncan coming along winning those two championships where Robinson wasn't the main focus. But you're right, Robinson was one of the greatest defensive players anyone ever saw and he does deserve more consideration.

Because then he’d start having a case for top 10 and people like pretending D-Rob is somehow below players like Isiah Thomas.

Everything goes back to that 95 series.

After the narrative shifted to Hakeem > Robinson, which I agree with, people concluded the debate was laughable to begin with. A dumb notion but these are the talking points when rings equal priority.

Those 97 numbers are insane. I've seen similar drop-offs on offense. But those are under smaller samples like on/off, not an entire concentrated season.

Its an unpopular opinion but I always thought Dave was better than Tim. And if the roles were reversed, with Dave being in his prime, he would have similar success with Manu and Parker. Look at the casts he had in the 90s. He lacked another go-to sidekick like Hakeem had with Clyde, Shaq had with Penny and later Shaq with Kobe. Dave's best teammates were Sean Elliot and Dennis Rodman in 1995, who we all know isn't known for his *spectacular* scoring.

Checkout RAPM for the 90s (basically RPM)

https://sites.google.com/site/rapmst...-per-100-91-14

He isn't rated that high by accident. Dave had indomitable impact.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    SI didn't even have him in the top 10 a few years back.

He's generally considered an all-time defender, but I rarely hear his name come up in the top 3-5 discussions.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post

After the narrative shifted to Hakeem > Robinson, which I agree with, people concluded the debate was laughable to begin with. A dumb notion but these are the talking points when rings equal priority.

Those 97 numbers are insane. I've seen similar drop-offs on offense. But those are under smaller samples like on/off, not an entire concentrated season.

Its an unpopular opinion but I always thought Dave was better than Tim. And if the roles were reversed, with Dave being in his prime, he would have similar success with Manu and Parker. Look at the casts he had in the 90s. He lacked another go-to sidekick like Hakeem had with Clyde, Shaq had with Penny and later Shaq with Kobe. Dave's best teammates were Sean Elliot and Dennis Rodman in 1995, who we all know isn't known for his *spectacular* scoring.

I'd take over Tim over Robinson, but I agree with alot of what you're saying. If they switched places, there successes are about the same. Furthermore, I think even if you put the Duncan in the 90s AND with the teams/coaches he had, they make a few finals but I don’t think they win any championships over the Bulls or even Hakeem’s Rockets. They are probably looked at a lot like some of those WC teams that were successful but never won a title.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
    Are you BronBron23?
    I'm nobody who has ever posted here before, so get that out of your head. I used to post on realgm as HBK_kliq and occasional poster at reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post

I’m curious where you rank DRob on your GOAT list if you have him over Duncan. Top 10?