Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Nick Van Exel was often clutch. Yet they gave rookie Kobe the ball vs the Jazz. Why?

We have all seen the 4 air balls. Im sure many are aware that Nick had a history of big shots. Shots like:

Default Re: Nick Van Exel was often clutch. Yet they gave rookie Kobe the ball vs the Jazz. W

And

Default Re: Nick Van Exel was often clutch. Yet they gave rookie Kobe the ball vs the Jazz. W

Or later full games like:

He could score and was pretty fearless. Had some erratic games as scoring combo guards are prone to but he could get you a basket. And its not like he wasnt involved in any of the plays. He gave it up to an open Kobe for one of them. On another Kobe is letting the clock wind down and Nick ends up wide open calling for it. And he looked ready to shoot on a 3rd one. So its not like he just bitched up and wasnt involved. The story told is often that nobody but Kobe wanted the ball. But you can see Nick call for it on two of the shots. And the 3rd one seemed to be a play run for Kobe off a screen and Nick seemed ready to get it back.

So it seems the person to take issue with is Del Harris.

These are the shots in question:

That is SUCH a tough spot to put a rookie in.

He didnt have Shaq as an option as he had fouled out. Nick had 26 on 9/17 that game and Kobe was 4/10 outside the 4 late airballs that got him to 4/14(along with a layup you can see him make late). Doesnt it feel like Nick should have had the ball to attack late? Especially when Del was known to give it to him with sometimes no plan. The game winner Nick made vs the Celtics there is a sideline mic you can hear catch Del call the play

"Nick you just kinda...shoot that thing....right at the basket".

And he did.

So with that kinda "He will bail us out" faith hes apparently calling at least 2 of those 4 late plays for the rookie. No doubt it built character and showed faith even though Kobe used the lack of faith Del had in him as fuel for years and later took it out on the Mavs when Del was an assistant before he realized how much having to earn everything helped him. Theres a story that Kobe asked for Shaq to be moved off the block when he came off the bench since he felt unstoppable with the small guards they would put on him. Del was right to hold the reins a little tight. But he picked a hell of a time to let go.

Hate as you might nobody reasonable can blame the 18 year old rookie there. Not to me at least. I kinda wish I could find a laker forum from around then to see what the fans had to say. They existed. I may be able to track something down. I gotta think they were all over Del. National media sure was. People didnt even think Kobe should have been in the game(even though Byron scott was out).

I dont know. Just weird all around.

Not that i watched a lot of those Lakers games but I remember that the narrative was that outside of Shaq nobody shows up for the playoffs like they do the regular season.

Oh yea Nick and Eddie were both ass a LOT of times in the playoffs. Crazy bad shooting at times. But nick in particular never seemed to care. He wasnt gun shy. And before Shaq and Kobe got there he had killed some teams. At times in the playoffs. He pretty much personally defeated the Sonics one year. He had more of a resume than a kid at least. Nick was one of those guys who you call a play for when hes 4-14 and he saves the day. I dont think he ever learned to mesh with other backcourt stars back then. Maybe having to play off someone threw him off. But before that he was fairly clutch.

Bad quality but here he is destroying the 57 wins Sonics to knock them out of the playoffs in 95:

He might be one of those guys who needs full control. Once he had others to give the ball up to he didnt show up the same way.

I get what you are saying that Nick was never afraid of the moment. He was really fun to watch with his handles and quick release.

Here we are.....20 big shots from Nick:

Im sure he shot like shit a lot of those games. But he was gonna create a shot when it counted if you asked.

And he was having an unusually good shooting night that game too.

Just seems like an odd time to finally decide you had enough of his inconsistency.

What a weird play to have at the end of the regulation, entrusting your team to the youngest player in the league.

Thats what im saying. Not that anyone else on the Lakers was a sure thing.....but you pick the 8ppg 38% shooting 26% from 3 in the playoffs rookie when you have a guy who has put away great defensive teams on his own?

Its almost as if Del had orders from the future to prepare Kobe for greatness by destroying him early and making him work harder.

Winning>Stats

Might have been another case of Shaq's revisionist history but Shaq said Kobe was the only player who wanted the ball.

Wonder if anything changes in Kobe's career trajectory if he makes that shot at the end of regulation. He got a hell of a clean look there.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33 View Post
    Might have been another case of Shaq's revisionist history but Shaq said Kobe was the only player who wanted the ball.

I knew id heard that but didnt remember who said it.

Nick doesnt strike me as a "Doesnt want the ball" type. He might miss when he gets it. But he usually wants it.

Winning>Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I knew id heard that but didnt remember who said it.

Nick doesnt strike me as a "Doesnt want the ball" type. He might miss when he gets it. But he usually wants it.
    I agree with you, its probably just Shaq twisting it so he can become part of the narrative.

Van Exel always wanted the ball.