Default Prime Sugar Ray Leonard vs Prime Floyd Mayweather at 147

Sugar was the best boxer in the 1980's. He beat Duran, Benitez, Hagler and Hearns while Mayweather beat Pacquiao, Canelo and Marquez. Sugar also defeated Floyd Mayweather Sr in 1979. I think Leonard being the bigger boxer. He has the height and wingspan advantage of Floyd. And he defeated a very good defensive boxer in Wilfredo Benitez. I think in a 15 rounds fight. He likely stops Mayweather. At 147 SRL was a more active boxer. Only when he moved up in Weighthe picked his shots.

National High School Star

Default Re: Prime Sugar Ray Leonard vs Prime Floyd Mayweather at 147

i wouldn't say a slam dunk but SRL got this

Floyd could have spots here & there for being a defensive genius & elite counter puncher

Floyd's prime was at Lightweight. It wasn't until later in his career that he went up to Welterweight. SRL was the better WW and beat better names IMO. Had Floyd fought Pac in 2009-2010 and won easily, I'd probably pick Floyd, but I gotta go SRL.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    Floyd's prime was at Lightweight. It wasn't until later in his career that he went up to Welterweight. SRL was the better WW and beat better names IMO. Had Floyd fought Pac in 2009-2010 and won easily, I'd probably pick Floyd, but I gotta go SRL.
    Floyd only fought twice at Lighweight and arguably he lost the first one. Floyd also ducked his way out at 147 . There’s a lot of fight that we missed because he keep retiring then cherrypicking until Mosley took care of Margarito. He could fought Cotto at 147, Punisher but he tried to stay away from Margarito. And yes the Pac fight, he definitely waited.

SRL fought El Radar, ATG great slick and defensive fighter too and beat him. Floyd lead right (his main weapon) will not deter SRL . All those potshots and slap in the fly by Floyd will get counter with convictions . So SRL will control, dictate the tempo and will land the more meaningful punches enough to earn a UD.

Tough. Leaning Floyd. Would be a great fight. I'd like 3 fights