Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Winning>Stats

Default Re: Tim Grover thinks traditional weight training needs to come back.

Karl Malone was a workout nut, jacked as anyone, his only major injury was in his last season, at forty years old.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I was thinking that but I’m sure he’d know better than I do. But if they don’t where did they go? Maybe he means they got rid of all true weights and just have general fitness with the rubber bands and yoga and all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33 View Post
    Karl Malone was a workout nut, jacked as anyone, his only major injury was in his last season, at forty years old.
    by contrast stockton was 170 lbs soaking wet at 6 feet tall and lasted forever too.

NBA sixth man of the year

Kawhi definitely has traditional weight lifting in check, reportedly leg-pressing more than 600 pounds and squatting more than 400 pounds. That's NFL level weight, i guess that's how he mans up when guarding LeBron/Giannis. It also works for Kawhi's offense as guys guarding him just bounce off him. James Harden is another super strong guy, I imagine he lifts traditional weights but never heard about his routine.

On the other hand, a short point guard I think is usually better off staying lean and not too built. Mike Bibby was a lot better player before he put on muscle.

Compared to the beefy forwards in the 90s? Griffin and Giannis body types are rare now.

A lot of dudes who visibly focus on cardio.

After all that running in-game, someone jacked like Griffin probably has to down a shit ton of calories to maintain mass.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

NFL weight? Plenty of kids leg press near 1000. I won’t vouch for their form or say they did reps but 900 wasn’t unusual for weight training class when I was in high school. That said very few were nba player lanky.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33 View Post
    But he wasn't over jacked. He was a proper beast.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Of course you don’t want to overdo it like you are competing in a body building competition but for the most part weight training helps tremendously. Deadlifts and squats and exercises for core strength is important. Players that are already naturally pretty big, they have to watch out to not put on too much weight to avoid knee and foot problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    by contrast stockton was 170 lbs soaking wet at 6 feet tall and lasted forever too.
    Lean, but muscular is the best way to last, build like a cyclist or marathon runner. No excessive muscle weight, but the ability to carry and lift your own weight. The problem is if you're lean and tall you get bullied in the NBA.

Local High School Star

I forgot Kevin Willis. His upper body looked like a bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Lean, but muscular is the best way to last, build like a cyclist or marathon runner. No excessive muscle weight, but the ability to carry and lift your own weight. The problem is if you're lean and tall you get bullied in the NBA.
    I remember reading they didn't even lift weights in the 80's because they felt it was bad for you to be too heavy or bulky. Would take away from endurance and skill mechanics. The 90's usher'ed in a new era of goon ball though where you needed the muscle to survive. And then past that the game became a showcase for athleticism over skill, with most athletic being promoted and catered to.

Kareem, McHale, Magic, Thomas, 80's MJ, and Larry weren't jacked. They won with their heads... and general skill. In today's league it's all about who can run the hardest and jump the highest with role players spacing for them. So it's a more athleticism dependant league, and less skill based.

I remember reading they didn't even lift weights in the 80's because they felt it was bad for you to be too heavy or bulky. Would take away from endurance and skill mechanics. The 90's usher'ed in a new era of goon ball though where you needed the muscle to survive. And then past that the game became a showcase for athleticism over skill, with most athletic being promoted and catered to.

Kareem, McHale, Magic, Thomas, 80's MJ, and Larry weren't jacked. They won with their heads... and general skill. In today's league it's all about who can run the hardest and jump the highest with role players spacing for them. So it's a more athleticism dependant league, and less skill based.
    Guys like Wilt, Willis, Daryl Dawkins and Thurmond would disagree. Kareem was pretty lean even for that time, but you're right the pro body building looking guys came later.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Guys like Wilt, Willis, Daryl Dawkins and Thurmond would disagree. Kareem was pretty lean even for that time, but you're right the pro body building looking guys came later.
    True... wilt's the only one of that group that was a true superstar. And, ironically to the topic, he got hurt big time. His knees gave out on him probably because he was too top heavy. And he died at 63. The leaner Russell won way more and is still alive 25 years later. There's always been goons. Kareem was stick thin in the 80s... Anthony Mason died at 48. If you look at the history of pro body builders, wrestlers, and football players you'll see they actually dont last long at all. That extreme bulk stresses and kills their organs.

Saw a basketball once

I admire Tim Grover. He was motivated to start working on myself, on my development, and on my personal growth. I do relate to his thinking and highly agree with what he mentioned. So, this new gear equipment overwhelms us. When I entered for the first time the gym, I get lost. I needed a coach and a trainer to guide me on the right path. But after one month, I was already on my own. I just bought some adjustable dumbbells and continue to grow my muscles at home, which I would recommend to anyone. You can visit this page to find out the benefits of having just some dumbbells, more motivation, and start working on your discipline.
    Last edited by Aural; 07-28-2021 at 07:42 AM.

blake griffin is probably one of the most jacked guys in the league and he's always hurt. dwight's another good one. then you have lightweights like curry and kyrie always hurt. it's just luck of the draw with regards to body structure and motion mechanics.
    Motion mechanics?

It's called biomechanics, you fool!