Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: can you bench more than your weight?

I'm the strongest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post
    Keep hitting the gym my dudes, you can get it! 315 (3 plates) was a nice milestone for me.
    Nice. I am still working towards 225 (2 plates). In my opinion, that's the begining of being truly strong. 315 is freaking seriously strong.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY View Post
    Probably.

Isn't deadlift or power clean a better indication of overall strength?
    Bench is a good measuring stick for strength. It's part of the events in powerlifting.

Most people can't do the bar + 45lb plates. Only 135 lbs. If you can't do that don't even come in this thread, let alone make fun of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Nice. I am still working towards 225 (2 plates). In my opinion, that's the begining of being truly strong. 315 is freaking seriously strong.
    Anything over 2 plates is top percentile strength. 3 plates is WTF strength. I've benched max 2 plates plus 10lb (245 lbs) 3 reps. Bench contest between friends. I could have gone higher but never really experimented with max.

It seems the technique to grow is to put heavier weights each time, even slight increments will do. For example, additional 2.5 lbs to 5 lbs first and so on. Your body or arms will adapt that way, making succeeding workouts a little easier if you're consistent.

College star

I can bench more than your moms weight and that’s a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It seems the technique to grow is to put heavier weights each time, even slight increments will do. For example, additional 2.5 lbs to 5 lbs first and so on. Your body or arms will adapt that way, making succeeding workouts a little easier if you're consistent.
    Yep. Progressive overload. You just consistantly get to the gym and make sure that, in some way, you are doing more than the last time. Either more weight, more reps, more sets.....something. This is a good basic approach. You will be either getting bigger or stronger or both. Just string together months and months of getting to the gym at least twice a week, optimally 4 times a week.

Yep. Progressive overload. You just consistantly get to the gym and make sure that, in some way, you are doing more than the last time. Either more weight, more reps, more sets.....something. This is a good basic approach. You will be either getting bigger or stronger or both. Just string together months and months of getting to the gym at least twice a week, optimally 4 times a week.
    and dont forget to work all the muscle groups since they help each other

chest, tris, biceps, back, forearms, core, legs, shoulders, bla bla bla

Good college starter

Progressive overload is easier when you bulk up. I prefer the 5/3/1 approach . Hard to
    maintain the strength in cutting though so less volume (but still lifting heavy) seems to a have better result everytime while managing my macro.

I don't usually brag about myself often, but I'm 6'2 and 195 lbs with 8% body fat. My one rep bench press max is 275