Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: 2014 wade/bosh excuse exposed

Good post. You and kuniva know what you are talking about as usual. I have explained to 3ball that using just points is flawed.
    Thanks.

I could give you reasons why bpm isnt a great measurement but it wouldn't matter because bron stans will just find another stat.
    According to MJ fans, the only stat in the world that matters is PPG. Come on. All of these advanced stats generally tell the same story.

And stocton is a top 7 player all time and is better than kd, curry and harden
    Each formula will generate a few outliers. Stockton is one because of the video game assist numbers the Sloan system generated (ask D Will). BPM says these are the 10 best players this season:

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 11.5
    2. James Harden • HOU 9.6
    3. Kawhi Leonard • LAC 8.9
    4. LeBron James • LAL 8.4
    5. Luka Dončić • DAL 8.3
    6. Anthony Davis • LAL 8.1
    7. Nikola Jokić • DEN 7.7
    8. Damian Lillard • POR 7.3
    9. Jimmy Butler • MIA 5.4
    10. Joel Embiid • PHI 5.0

This is a legit list. PPG has Young 4th, Booker 9th, Lavine 11th.

The Spurs won in 2014 because their offense was operating at an all-time great level during the WCF and finals against the Heat. They were playing some of the greatest team ball I've seen played and the stats confirm it; they posted a 121 ORtg in the finals. Only the KD/Steph Warriors have eclipsed 121 ORTg in a finals series, and that was against an atrocious Cleveland defense. This Heat team was much better defensively and the Spurs still picked them apart.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Now post their averages the year before they teamed up.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku View Post
    The Spurs won in 2014 because their offense was operating at an all-time great level during the WCF and finals against the Heat. They were playing some of the greatest team ball I've seen played and the stats confirm it; they posted a 121 ORtg in the finals. Only the KD/Steph Warriors have eclipsed 121 ORTg in a finals series, and that was against an atrocious Cleveland defense. This Heat team was much better defensively and the Spurs still picked them apart.
    So the heats offensive problems had nothing to do with outcome? The heat scored in the 80's twice and only had 2 games over 95 and none over 100.

And its not like the spurs were dropping 120 plus. They had 2 games in the 90's, a low 100's and 2 games at 110. There offense was great dont get me wrong but heats offense was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23 View Post
    So the heats offensive problems had nothing to do with outcome? The heat scored in the 80's twice and only had 2 games over 95 and none over 100.

And its not like the spurs were dropping 120 plus. They had 2 games in the 90's, a low 100's and 2 games at 110. There offense was great dont get me wrong but heats offense was pretty bad.
    You gotta look at ortg not points. Heats ortg was like 104 which is bad but not disastrous The pace that series was pretty slow so even scoring 100 is great

Sure, the Heat's offensive dropout compared to 2013 certainly was A factor. But I think the main factor was how much better than Spurs offense was.

2013 Heat ORtg - 108
    2014 Heat ORtg - 104

2013 Spurs ORtg - 109
    2014 Spurs ORtg - 121

MJ in 86 had two players that scored MORE than Bosh and Wade in the 14’ finals

Fair enough
    There you go, bron23. At least you know using one and not the other is inconsistent.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by insidious301 View Post
    There you go, bron23. At least you know using one and not the other is inconsistent.
    Nah both can be inconsistent. I was conceding saying using everything is better than using just points or using just the other. When i say everything i mean everything. Stats, chip, accolades and Eye test

Nah both can be inconsistent. I was conceding saying using everything is better than using just points or using just the other. When i say everything i mean everything. Stats, chip, accolades and Eye test
    To which I credited you for. That was statistically however, minus the accolade mention.

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    We can pick the bones out of Wade and Bosh's scoring between 2013 and 2014 but it's an oversimplification boiling it down to that. These are the field goal/3 point/ORtg splits for the Spurs during the 2014 playoffs:

vs Dallas 50/38% 113
    vs Portland 49/40% 113
    vs OKC 46/40% 114
    vs Miami 53/47% 121

I don't think any prior version of the Heat offensively ( meaning the 2011-13 teams) overcome the 2014 Heat defense allowing the Spurs to go nuclear shooting the ball. Hell, Wade could have been in 2011 form and the Heat aren't winning. I said this in another thread but if you gonna let a team drop those kinds of offensive numbers, you better be the 2017 Warriors.
    It comes down to this. There was NOTHING in the Eastern Conference (JV League) that prepared the Heat for that type of offense. Furthermore, their drive n kick offense, while effective out East, was relatively easy to plan for.

The Heat series was arguably the Spurs' easiest series. Like getting a chocolate cake after dinner, honestly.

NBA sixth man of the year

Once spurs gave the ball to Kawhi in game 3, they had a goat level offense for 3 straight wins.

Also Kawhi guarding LeBron and making him a passive player.

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork View Post
    It comes down to this. There was NOTHING in the Eastern Conference (JV League) that prepared the Heat for that type of offense. Furthermore, their drive n kick offense, while effective out East, was relatively easy to plan for.

The Heat series was arguably the Spurs' easiest series. Like getting a chocolate cake after dinner, honestly.
    It's hard to argue against that position based on the respective results. Hell just as far as going the distance the Mavs in the first round played them the closest.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork View Post

When they finally gave Kawhi the ball, what a coincidence.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

It cuts both ways, depending on the year. In 08' the 39 win 8 seed Hawks gave the Celtics a tougher series than the WC champ 57 win Lakers did. Series come down to match ups, small sample size, health at the time of the series, etc.