Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Biased Troll

Default Re: The 1918 Flu Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    seems like you perception is quite backwards. employees and businesses owners politely asking customers to wear a mask isn't the obsession, just a simple rule that probably most are exhausted dealing with. the obsession comes from the karen's and manchildren throwing public tantrums over such a minor inconvenience. one that is temporary and won't even exist months from now, but to them it's slavery and totalitarian. and we know this because the overwhelming amount of viral videos popping up hourly, disturbing behavior from grown adults. not being able to get your big mac without a mask isn't stripping your freedom

Have there been many public demonstrations over the masks? I thought those were mainly about mandatory government shut downs.

I agree a biz can do what they want with masks. Most are only doing it for lawsuit reasons. Business owners tend to be more independent, fearless types who dont jump up on a chair when they see a spider or the flu virus. But they gotta go with the whole flu virus scary thing to prevent employee lawsuits.

I think people are mainly annoyed by the alarmism. Remember when Al Gore predicted Miami would be underwater by now? In his popular, award winning, scientific documentary, he predicted Miami would be submerged right now in 2020. Science.

And you had a ton of people see the documentary and take to the streets screeching about ManBearPig.

I guess people just get worked up easily over stuff.

very depressing photographs

I hope they were able to bathe regularly back then. Such an act would help heal the body. If they didn't bathe frequently, they'd probably be liable to build up excessive salt in their pores.

Such relatable old pictures and newspaper articles.

The only real difference from back then is that the China virus goes by many names. Corona virus, Covid-19, Wuhan, the plague, Kung Flu. And many more.

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor View Post
    Have there been many public demonstrations over the masks? I thought those were mainly about mandatory government shut downs.

I agree a biz can do what they want with masks. Most are only doing it for lawsuit reasons. Business owners tend to be more independent, fearless types who dont jump up on a chair when they see a spider or the flu virus. But they gotta go with the whole flu virus scary thing to prevent employee lawsuits.

I think people are mainly annoyed by the alarmism. Remember when Al Gore predicted Miami would be underwater by now? In his popular, award winning, scientific documentary, he predicted Miami would be submerged right now in 200`. Science.

And you had a ton of people see the documentary and take to the streets screeching about ManBearPig.

I guess people just get worked up easily over stuff.
    my workplace requires a mask for employees but not customers. however it's not a service industry with high traffic, just mostly sub-contractors and laborers. not many gripe anymore as they did in the beginning, most have found comfortable reusable ones cheap off ebay/amazon with under armour breathability. even though we all have different opinions and political ideals one thing is a overwhelmly assured, we'll all be out of work again if the contagion spikes in our area as it did in April. many of the guys in shipping and entry level i talk to still have not received their stimulus and some even haven't been approved for the unemployment benefits filed back 3 months ago. i can understand why some people do get frustrated if people are still actively grouping close in public areas without them. it indirectly puts their livelihood and their families at financial risk

Back then when the world's total population was far very lesser than today. With a deadlier flu during that time, death rate is very higher too.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post
    my workplace requires a mask for employees but not customers. however it's not a service industry with high traffic, just mostly sub-contractors and laborers. not many gripe anymore as they did in the beginning, most have found comfortable reusable ones cheap off ebay/amazon with under armour breathability. even though we all have different opinions and political ideals one thing is a overwhelmly assured, we'll all be out of work again if the contagion spikes in our area as it did in April. many of the guys in shipping and entry level i talk to still have not received their stimulus and some even haven't been approved for the unemployment benefits filed back 3 months ago. i can understand why some people do get frustrated if people are still actively grouping close in public areas without them. it indirectly puts their livelihood and their families at financial risk

Yeah. My other issue with this thing is the data on "spikes" isn't very reliable because of government incentives for hospitals to report cases as corona instead of anything else.

Even with widely available testing now, stats aren't entirely reliable. For instance NFL QB Matt Stafford received a false positive test. That probably got chalked up on official government stats as another corona case, and was it ever corrected by the time his second test came back negative? I have my doubts. I imagine that isn't an infrequent occurrence either.

I guess people also have varying opinions on how much each person owes their neighbor. If my neighbor is 80 years old, or if he's 50 years old and smokes and eats garbage... do I owe it to him to have my life rearranged for his safety? The virus apparently doesn't affect a large cross section of the population like other diseases, or other catastrophes like lightning strikes or car accidents. We know who is vulnerable. They largely made themselves vulnerable, so it should largely be on them to take the necessary precautions. And if they're old... that's part of life. If I could end this corona hysteria by signing something that says I wont be owed a single damn thing when I'm over 75, I'd do it in a second.

But a lot of folks in the population have this 'conquistador' mentality where they have to rescue everyone by telling them all what to do and guilting them into compliance. I find it frustrating personally because I'm more of a pragmatist. But on the other end of the spectrum you have these high strung, neurotic types like ItsMillerTime, who have a mental breakdown if everyone isn't conforming to the latest trends in public conformity. So it seems like an inevitable recipe for conflict.

and to think they followed this up with the Roarin' '20s in the States, what a time

Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    Such relatable old pictures and newspaper articles.

The only real difference from back then is that the China virus goes by many names. Corona virus, Covid-19, Wuhan, the plague, Kung Flu. And many more.
    LOL @ Kung Flu ....

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Back then when the world's total population was far very lesser than today. With a deadlier flu during that time, death rate is very higher too.
    it makes you question what the current death toll would be today if digital information applied as it was in 1918. the first public radio network didn't even exist until 1949. covid-19 would run through cities and towns before warning or leaflets could be dropped. the spread of the virus would be faster than the spread of information. and yet today we have instantaneous coverage and covid-19 still wrapped the globe in only about 3 months. which brings up the question, would the spanish flu death toll be the same with live radio, television and media? the conditions are entirely different that any comparisons aren't very compatible. and even so with that much difference in technology and research, humans knew a single strip of material over their mouth and nose seemed to reduce spread

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    crazy, nearly a full century later and our ancestors were still pulling shenanigans and out to ruin Trump's 2020 campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Woah! Very interesting, OP! Hmm so what you're saying is that we need to revive the Anti-Mask League. We are free-thinking citizens and need proper representation and security. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, OP. Organization and structure is always the best method in defeating the bully tactics of big government and the sheep who follow them.
    More like, mask wearing was compulsory in certain areas while the Spanish Flu was wreaking havoc until it passed, then wearing masks was no longer necessary to the point that we don't even remember that it happened. No slippery slope of our civil rights being eroded or any of that retarded shit you conspiracy weirdos claim.

Interesting that even back then we had anti science goofballs

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    Spanish flu lasted Feb 1918 to Apr 1920, and your data is worldwide deaths

Covid 5 months, and your data is only US deaths

Analytics ain't your strong suit, champ
    Lol

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

In terms life years lost, COVID-19 is about 0.1% of 1918 flu.

The lasting effects of the lockdowns/response to COVID-19, however, will be catastrophic.

170k US deaths in only 6 months

covid will nearly double the US spanish flu deaths in the same 3 year timeframe

imagine coronavirus in 1918 without state of the art technology, ethnic extinction