Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The 1918 Flu Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Kobrick View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    In terms life years lost, COVID-19 is about 0.1% of 1918 flu.

The lasting effects of the lockdowns/response to COVID-19, however, will be catastrophic.
    They had longer lockdowns (few separate lockdowns in fact during each of the 3 waves over two years) during the 1918 pandemic, yet as soon as the pandemic ended, they followed that up with the roaring 20s. They had no lasting effects from their pandemic shutdowns. They returned right to business.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor View Post
    Cool pics.

I get why people who are concerned would wear a mask.

What I don't get is why they're so obsessed with making other people do it. If the mask protects you... then you're fine. Wear your mask. Why the rabid policing of everyone else?

Are they insecure about looking like chumps if they're wearing a mask around the girls and a bunch of other people aren't? Or they're afraid a bunch of people not wearing masks will be fine and maskers will feel publicly embarrassed for being on the 'wrong' side?

Like if you're afraid of the flu virus, put a mask on. You're seriously gonna fight someone else over whether they do??

High school girl type jealousy shit
    How is it possible that we are so far into this and there are still people like yourself who still dont know that a mask is meant to protect others. Not yourself.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    The inspiration for Alex's mask in A Clockwork Orange?

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    They had longer lockdowns (few separate lockdowns in fact during each of the 3 waves over two years) during the 1918 pandemic, yet as soon as the pandemic ended, they followed that up with the roaring 20s. They had no lasting effects from their pandemic shutdowns. They returned right to business.
    very interesting

NBA All-star

prior to obesity became the #1 health concern for America, people viewed the event part of the natural selection/evolution process, those who deemed to have a weaker body were cast away given 2nd consideration instead of being viewed as primates for off-springs.

but a samurai mentality (here's your daily pick up of Chinese food) was probably played out by the elder community of grand parents. with a flu like this, perhaps even just a few apple from the tree to pass on the legacy is the wiser choice than having five apples that may never become fruitful.

or I suppose, it's just an echo of the Boston Tea party

Cool pics.

What I don't get is why they're so obsessed with making other people do it. If the mask protects you... then you're fine. Wear your mask. Why the rabid policing of everyone else?
    Because the mask isn't supposed to protect the wearer. I suspect you already knew that or do you just not bother to question anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness View Post
    In terms life years lost, COVID-19 is about 0.1% of 1918 flu.

The lasting effects of the lockdowns/response to COVID-19, however, will be catastrophic.
    I'm pondering if you're a *** once again.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Because the mask isn't supposed to protect the wearer. I suspect you already knew that or do you just not bother to question anything?

If someone else is already wearing a mask, how does my mask protect them?

If someone else is already wearing a mask, how does my mask protect them?
    Higher chance of the virus staying with you and not falling onto the surrounding environment/ surface.

Let's say you're sick and you dont know it. Just breathing / talking can release droplets. If a mask can stop droplets from leaving your mouth then it protects others.

If droplets fall from your mouth and onto a surface. Someone else can touch that surface, touch their face and get sick.

How do you still need someone to explain this to you?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

n00bie’s everyday PPE

You have to watch out for the droplets!

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

and to think 100 years ago, less technology and scientific advantage. humans were smart enough to cover their saliva and mucus

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    n00bie’s everyday PPE

You have to watch out for the droplets!

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Cool pics.

Are they insecure about looking like chumps if they're wearing a mask around the girls and a bunch of other people aren't? Or they're afraid a bunch of people not wearing masks will be fine and maskers will feel publicly embarrassed for being on the 'wrong' side?
    From what I understand masks are more effective in preventing the mask wearer from spreading a virus or bacteria than it is in protecting the mask wearer. They want you to wear a mask to prevent you from infecting others, not just for self protection.

Does this even need to be said anymore?

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong View Post
    From what I understand masks are more effective in preventing the mask wearer from spreading a virus or bacteria than it is in protecting the mask wearer. They want you to wear a mask to prevent you from infecting others, not just for self protection.

Does this even need to be said anymore?
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...-Masks-(again)

USA has one of the highest mask compliance rates in the world. 80-90% since July. Virus out of control. Let's stop pretending mask mandates work.