Default Vlade Divac out as Kings general manager

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Vlade Divac out as Kings general manager

Great move by them, he was an awful GM.

Passing on Luka could be talked about for decades. Hopefully for them bagley becomes an all star type

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HBK_Kliq_2 View Post
    Great move by them, he was an awful GM.
    He was the great GM....

Well for other teams, anyway.

He is a Process hero and cult figure. His pick swap trade with Hinkie is legendary.

Buddy Heild was virtually garunteed to be in a 76ers jersey next season.

This could change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    He was the great GM....

He is a Process hero and cult figure. His pick swap trade with Hinkie is legendary.

Speaking of hinkie, he’s rumored for the kings already

If his available the Kings should hire him straight away without interviewing any other candidates. I am skeptical if he will ever be interested in ever returning to the NBA or of Silver would even allow it. Although hindsight looks more favorable on him because of the short term success the Sixers have had since his tenure.

Hinkie is a genius not just basketball wise but in general. He is obviously closely identified with tanking but he himself has stated many times he did what he did in Philadelphia because it was the best course of action for the franchise at the time and if he was GM of another team he would have different management strategies depending on the situation.

It would be super interesting to see what he would do in Sacramento considering they have such a young and upcoming roster. Would be a completely different situation to what he was in when he started in Philadelphia.

I'm not convinced he will come back to the league tho.

If his available the Kings should hire him straight away without interviewing any other candidates. I am skeptical if he will ever be interested in ever returning to the NBA or of Silver would even allow it. Although hindsight looks more favorable on him because of the short term success the Sixers have had since his tenure.

Hinkie is a genius not just basketball wise but in general. He is obviously closely identified with tanking but he himself has stated many times he did what he did in Philadelphia because it was the best course of action for the franchise at the time and if he was GM of another team he would have different management strategies depending on the situation.

It would be super interesting to see what he would do in Sacramento considering they have such a young and upcoming roster. Would be a completely different situation to what he was in when he started in Philadelphia.

I'm not convinced he will come back to the league tho.
    i'm not either but vivek likes him so maybe he'll get an insane offer. never seen a gm so good at asset accumulation. constant good trade after good trade

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    i'm not either but vivek likes him so maybe he'll get an insane offer. never seen a gm so good at asset accumulation. constant good trade after good trade
    Vivek knows cause Hinkie swindled him so much

It has been forgotten but Hinkie was the man responsible for getting James Harden to the Rockets. He did a presentation about it during his interview with the Sixers, it was so impressive and convinced them to hire him originally.

Made that high school varsity squad

Good for them. Divac was terrible. Honestly if you are a GM you should only get to hire and fire 3 coaches. By the 3rd failed coach, it means you suck at your job in picking good coaches.
    Not to mention all the bad picks, trades and free agent signings. Worst gm in the league. Happy for Kings fans today.

I imagine Walton is gonna be out as well. I mean it looks like they are gonna do a full on restart again.

NBA sixth man of the year

He was the great GM....

Drafting Bagley who has been a major injury prone bust, passing on Luka, signing Harrison Barnes to that contract because he's a nice guy I guess? Hiring his buddy Luke Walton as coach. Basically couldn't do anything right. They need to blow it up badly. Fox is a nice little player but definitely not worth the money he'll end up asking for.

Good move flushing out the whole incompetent office

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    I imagine Walton is gonna be out as well. I mean it looks like they are gonna do a full on restart again.
    It's a shame, really. The team showed flashes. Which you could say for the past X years under any coach, really. I think Walton's biggest flaw was not being able to control some of his idiot players (read: Buddy Hield) enough. Plus the team just didn't have the talent and Bags was/is constantly out, Fox and Holmes missed a ton of games, etc. Just a shitty circumstance, really.

As for Vlade... if you look at his track record post-Sixers trade, it's actually pretty good AT THE TIME they happened. Almost all his FA signings were good on paper. He got steals like Bjielica, CoJo, and Holmes this season. He drafted (or traded to draft) Fox and Bogie, their 2 best players. The Cousins trade was actually great on paper (Buddy turned out to be an idiot, and that pick, I'll get to the pick next). The trade of ZC for Justin Jackson and Giles looked sneaky smart at the time (even tho I loved ZC). Giles still has great potential, but I'd much rather have ZC now, obviously. A lot of the moves looked good on paper at the time, but just ended up not being really beneficial in the long run. I suppose he has to take the blame on that.

But his most damning move of course is passing on Luka, which I'm almost certain was NOT HIS CHOICE. It was Vivek's. But, tbh, I kinda expected them to pass on Luka. He wasn't a "need" really. I thought if he was gonna pass on Luka, then go for Jaren Jackson Jr. I thought he was the best big in the draft, even better than Ayton. Bags was just an athletic freak who couldn't hit 3's or defend. JJJ was the safer choice - higher floor w/ slightly lower ceiling only due to athleticism. And this season showed how good JJJ will be. But, for whatever reason, Bags was the pick. Cuz he publicly stated wanted to be in Sac. Cuz he was a Duke/KU/UK player.

But god, imagine if he gave Bogie the extension and not Buddy. If he kept ZC and drafted JJJ instead of Bags. Maybe they dont even have to fight for #8 seed this season. Next season would be JJJ, ZC, Barnes, Bogie, Fox, Bjielica, Holmes, CoJo all under contract... damn.

edit:
    I didn't even realize Sam Hinkie was still un-signed by a team. I wonder if he'd accept the position, knowing he likely would have ownership being very hands-on.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 08-16-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Some excellent stuff above.